Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobinNL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
World
Please Apple make this the iMac Pro / Mac Pro of the notebooks. Differentiate it from the Air by making it:
- really powerful
- amazing screen
- great cooling so it can run full-power all the time

The target audience (should not) be commuters doing powerpoint / words etc IMO. That's where the iPad or Air comes in.

Reactions: dmi and 1196403

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
no, please no ..

In all seriousness, I don't expect the 16" model to be significantly different in size and/or weight as the current 15". The form factor is really perfect right now and it is also sufficient to pack some reasonably powerful hardware without having to make unnecessary sacrifices. Reduced bezels, tweaks to the cooling system, AI-driven power management and we could have a winner on our hands.

At the same time, I jut don't see Apple producing a high-performance workstation laptop. Too niche, too many compromises, very un-Apple devices.

Reactions: fokmik

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
In all seriousness, I don't expect the 16" model to be significantly different in size and/or weight as the current 15". The form factor is really perfect right now and it is also sufficient to pack some reasonably powerful hardware without having to make unnecessary sacrifices. Reduced bezels, tweaks to the cooling system, AI-driven power management and we could have a winner on our hands.

At the same time, I jut don't see Apple producing a high-performance workstation laptop. Too niche, too many compromises, very un-Apple devices.
Agreed, i really hope so too

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

I've heard some rumblings on this either way, either the 15" is going away immediately, being replaced by the 16" or it's staying around and getting refreshed with a scissor keyboard next year. Assuming the latter is true, I could see the 16" being an i9-only Vega/Navi packing performance focused model, while the 15" is repositioned slightly lower to resume the jack of all trades position (would get an i5 configuration, maybe an 8GB RAM configuration and stick with the polaris GPUs) from $1,999. In this case the two models could probably coexist ok, the 15" could remain very compact and light, while the 16" grows a bit to accommodate better cooling and more battery necessary for its role.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
I'm not in for a new laptop but this is exciting news and I'm curious to see what Apple comes up with. Hope your expectations are satisfied !

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Looks like my prediction of mid-November was spot on.

The 4TB lead times of 5-6 weeks in October really gave it away.

Reactions: DHagan4755

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
On a serious note, when this machine goes live and for sale, who is going to match the switch from their current MBP to the 16? Im in two minds

The battery on my 2014 15" MBP is killing me lately (and as opposed to my 2011, replacing this is not trivial and this is technically owned by my employer anyway, so I can replace it with work funds). I am down to almost an instant buy, but I suppose I'll wait a few days to see how the reviews shake out. Like I said, this is through my employer, so returning the thing is a bit of an extra hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.