Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
either way this thread was intended for talking about mock-ups so stop picking every little flaw in my comments away at me and start doing some "professional" photoshopping instead of arguing and upload some pics.

Yeah everyone! Stop correcting people when they are clearly wrong, please.

Sigh...Some people still need to learn how to graciously admit when they are incorrect. :p

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
sorry if this is a total noob type question but why wont apple go to Blu Ray? i know SJ does what he wants and not what people ask for but what is SJ aversion to BR?

I had (stolen :mad:) a late 08 MB that i used my last 2 years in college and when it came time for my senior engineering project i had to make a video of the design/build. the professor wanted a DVD copy and would not take any other format, so i still think that DVD's have relevance in today's world for the reason that not everyone is fast to switch to current technology. i must also say though that i think while i owned my MB i used the OD maybe a dozen times and almost all of those time i wasn't "mobile" . also i think that most people on this board have parents that are slow to technology change and we have to always push them to adapt quicker than they would like so the fact that a MBP would not have a OD is similar to me.

so after saying all that i either want Apple to put in a BR so i can output to TV or drop the OD. while the general masses are slow to adapt i do think that the current OD is a waste of space. for me i would love to see them just fill that area with another battery module for another 1.5hr of usage. that would put the 15" and 17" up to 10hrs!!:D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
sorry if this is a total noob type question but why wont apple go to Blu Ray? i know SJ does what he wants and not what people ask for but what is SJ aversion to BR?

With regards to Blu-ray, sources indicate that Jobs still considers the technology to be a "bag of hurt", with DRM restrictions and licensing issues that make the format unattractive. According to the report, Jobs noted during a recent internal meeting that he is "ashamed" that Apple's name is associated with the Blu-ray format through its position as a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association's board of directors, a role it has held since 2005.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/0...april-xserve-controversy-and-jobs-on-blu-ray/

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
So it would cost Apple more money (and eat into their profits) to include BD? I guess with rumors of the OD going away there is even less chance of BD in a new MBP model.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
I think that people would use a Blu-ray drive even less often than the standard DVD. Isn't it basically just a higher-capacity DVD?

Flash drives are where the future is headed. Small, nimble, R/W and cheap.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I think that people would use a Blu-ray drive even less often than the standard DVD.

I think they would use it just as often (since it would be compatible with DVDs and CDs) but that "just as often" may be a handful of time over the life of the Notebook.

In the past I've posted that I'm against removing the drive (at least while Apple sells optical drives and laptops outsell desktops) but if they are removed I'd love to see a similar form factor with a 2 more USB ports (There are plenty of times I would use more than 2 on my 15" if I could, I think just 1 more on the 17") and an express card slot/SD card slot added to all MBPs so that they all have both. The addition of those ports will still leave room for a larger battery or 2nd storage drive (HDD or SSD)

I don't think the MBP needs to be any thinner but I'm sure Apple will do it, they are obsessed with thinness of the overall products. Making each component thinner and then adding more to the existing product is the way to go!

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
How about people that play games? I know the Sims 3 and Civilizations both require the CD. Am I supposed to lug around an external drive if I want to take it somewhere?
At least Civilization 4 and 5 don't require the disc to be in the drive when playing.

When I re-installed World of Warcraft I actually felt it was more convenient to use the installer to download and install everything (over 10Gb data), then to use the multiple DVDs for the same task. I also feel the same way about all the games I've bought from Steam.

Welcome to the future. (A good broadband like my 100/10 Mbps helps).

I'd like the same thinness and add fast SSD for OS X and programs. Remove optical drive to make room for second drive that is an inexpensive large HDD for all your data.

doberman211

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Canada
Well i saw a kingston key at bestbuy with a 70$ price tag. and the largest capacity is 256GB not 1TB.

and superconductors are not -200 degrees. they're stable at 0 degrees and they themselves are not cold they need to be kept cold, so the cooling systems would need to be improved or something.

I have no time on my hands to do a photoshop image of a new mac. i have actual work to do. the internet is all i do on my free time besides actually going outdoors and going to my friends houses. and that time is relatively none. i know for a fact im an idiot at 4 in the morning as would most of you be, so give it up.

And the laptop still needs to be thick enough to hold all its ports anyways, so stop trying to make it thinner. the air has a power adapter, 2 usb ports and an sd card. not very pro-ish. and the firewire and ethernet ports are pretty big.

Last edited:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
and superconductors are not -200 degrees. they're stable at 0 degrees and they themselves are not cold they need to be kept cold, so the cooling systems would need to be improved or something.

Please just give this up. You know nothing about superconductors, just admit it. The highest temperature superconductor must operate under -140˚C, else it doesn't work. But that one contains Mercury, so Apple won't use it, as it will be rejected by their Greenie department. Most proper superconductors only work under -250˚C.

Otherwise, I said "disk drive", as in external hard disk, not USB thumb stick. Which is clearly the cheapest method of storing data.

I agree that the MBP shouldn't be made any thinner at the expense of functionality, but everything else you say smacks of trolling.

doberman211

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Canada
no, i have heard of them functioning at 0 degrees. if that information is incorrect then i cannot be held accountable. but this thread is going nowhere anyway as all it is is constant yelling at me yet i guess thats all people were doing is trolling on my comments picking everything out of it. all you have to do is not say anything. but come on. I make 1 stupid comment and then ten people start attacking me for it? get out of your mothers basement more.

but this thread is pretty much reduced to nothing but a flame war or massacre so screw you guys, im going home.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
no, i have heard of them functioning at 0 degrees

Even 0°C is hard to achieve. Generally, things can be kept around the room temperature with air cooling but in order to go below room temperature, especially below zero, something nasty must be used like liquid nitrogen or helium. I have no idea how could you use those in a laptop. Sooner than later the nitrogen or helium has boiled and turned into gas so you would have to refill it. Doesn't sound very practical IMO.

Maybe in future it will work but a lot has to happen before that

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
but this thread is pretty much reduced to nothing but a flame war or massacre so screw you guys, im going home.

Is this you in real life?

cartman.jpg

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I found one at Bestbuy.com for $10 (on sale from $15) and the most expensive one I see is $42

I get mine from Microcenter, 8GB is about $12 now (prices fall after a few months)

Well i saw a kingston key at bestbuy with a 70$ price tag. and the largest capacity is 256GB not 1TB.

I believe that you can buy an 8GB USB drive for $70 or more, my point is that you can find one much cheaper (I found one for $10 on sale, and others at $12-15 regular price, not on sale)

I thought the prices of USB drives was regarding storing data on them vs. burning a DVD/BD. You can't store 256GB or 1TB on a DVD or a BD.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
number one, the term PRO had absolutely nothing to do with DVDs and DVDs were not even a subject in that point.

and i was talking about ODD technology as a whole. not just DVDs. and the cheapest 8 gig stick is 70$ at bestbuy not 10. they're not that outdated as a standard DVD movie is a mere 700MB and you can store many one one 8gig DVD.

as for superconductors, **** it i was reading somewhere that it had potential to enhance battery power a lot but i can't seem to find the article again.

i like having a physical copy of my purchases. so when something unexplainable happens and i lose all my stuff then i can still reboot it and not lose the program or something. i don't really know, its just a mental thing that i would rather have a physical copy that i can hold.

either way this thread was intended for talking about mock-ups so stop picking every little flaw in my comments away at me and start doing some "professional" photoshopping instead of arguing and upload some pics.

More holes than Swiss cheese.

doberman211

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Canada
hmm... it seems even with my swiss cheese it was holding this thread open.

Now in all seriousness, There won't be any changes other than Intel sandy bridge. really some minor detail like smoothing the edges are a maybe, but anything more is wishful thinking. I had gotten around to making a mocup, but it is too terrible to show:p.

Think all same ports, same design, same thickness, maybe lighter, same battery life, same screen resolution as they already offer a near-1080p option in the apple store. Maybe the sleep indicator will become just a point, but i don't see any real advantage there. The superdrive still won't support blu ray and i will bet my mac on that, and i hope they hold on the facetime camera as i have compared the two cameras at a store and the facetime camera is honestly terrible quality i will not lie. Don't be hoping for some super fantastic ultra reboot, because it will not happen. They had more focus on bringing into creation OS X Lion than the hardware on the mac.

Expect the new release between March break and April, but with their supplies tightening i would say end of February to mid-March.

PS: Yes, i do tend to see myself as having the same sense of humor as Eric cartman, though I am Canadian and the top of my head does in fact float off into space.

sp_0715_08_v6.jpg

vectus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Real work. Ha. Real work has very very little with burning the odd cd/dvd.

Your clients don't have a spare HDD in their office? Their own computer? an Internet connection?

Let me guess, you're 50+ years of age, stuck in your ways and have little or no imagination. You prob still ride a horse to work too.

Camon man. Wake up. Drag your a** out of the 90s...

There's a world of possibility to be explored once that obsolete (yes, obsolete) ODD is cut out like the cancerous tumor that it is.

Yeah the ODD is still relevant for those of us who appreciate quality. Until songs are widely released as uncompressed .wav or compressed .flac files, the ODD will definitely be needed to rip good quality music from CDs. Not everyone is content with the compressed **** that MP3 is.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
It has been mentioned many times already. Nobody is expecting anyone to give up on optical media. Those of us whole like the idea removing the ODD are merely suggesting that it be replaced by an external solution, not killing all support for CDs and DVDs.

I still buy CD/DVDs and rip them onto my HDD but I don't do this on battery power while I am not at the desk so I don't see why having an external drive would be an issue for most people.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
It has been mentioned many times already. Nobody is expecting anyone to give up on optical media. Those of us whole like the idea removing the ODD are merely suggesting that it be replaced by an external solution, not killing all support for CDs and DVDs.

I still buy CD/DVDs and rip them onto my HDD but I don't do this on battery power while I am not at the desk so I don't see why having an external drive would be an issue for most people.

Traveling. Not everyone uses an ODD just to rip. Carrying an external drive is a pain; been there and done that. One more thing to carry, connectors to break, etc.

I'd prefer offering a BTO with a SSD and HDD option rather than removing the ODD.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
some of you kids may not be old enough to recall, but pretty much all of the arguments against ditching the optical are the same as when Apple killed the floppy.

That's really not an apt comparison. When Apple dropped floppy support around 2000, optical disks were pretty much an established standard that offered much more storage than a floppy. It was more like them going from 400 - 800 - 1.44 floppies - optical disks were the next logical steps for inexpensive storage media. As a bonus, they allowed Macs to read CDs and DVDs (eventually) as well; giving users the ability to have a portable media player.

No such option is yet in place to replace the ODD. USB flash drives are way more expensive as a distribution medium; and internet access is not so ubiquitous to make it a viable replacement that provides the flexibility and accessibility that optical media provides.

Will Apple drop the ODD? Sure, when something comes out that has all its benefits at a lower cost and is a universal standard.

As far as games that require the physical media to be present to be played, I am sure if Apple went sans optical there would be significant pressure for ubisoft, eidos, blizzard etc to put out patches that allowed you to install and play.

More likely they'd just drop support or say buy an optical drive.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Traveling. Not everyone uses an ODD just to rip. Carrying an external drive is a pain; been there and done that. One more thing to carry, connectors to break, etc.

I'd prefer offering a BTO with a SSD and HDD option rather than removing the ODD.

Agreed, a BTO option would be ideal, but Apple never has more than one external body style and they won't leave the optical drive slot there with no ODD behind it. Having a hot swap bay would be nice IMO but that would compromise the look and they would never have that.

I don't like carrying any extras either but, as I see it, the MBP has some serious shortcomings when compared to the competition, all of which can be solved by freeing up the space used up by the optical driver. Whether this is worth the newly introduced inconvenient is entirely subjective I guess.

presdaddy

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Yeah the ODD is still relevant for those of us who appreciate quality. Until songs are widely released as uncompressed .wav or compressed .flac files, the ODD will definitely be needed to rip good quality music from CDs. Not everyone is content with the compressed **** that MP3 is.

you care about audio quality and you're using a macbook pro to listen to your music? there's your real problem.

presdaddy

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Why? If your using decent external speakers, the quality is fine. :confused:

If you're using decent external speakers, you're at a desk or your at least stationary. Sounds like you have room for an external drive or -gasp- a CD player. Might as well use the space that an ODD would take up inside the macbook for something more useful when you are in fact leaving the desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.