2018 iPhones Could Ship With New 18W USB-C Power Adapters, USB-C to Lightning Cables for Fast Charging

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
100%. I keep my MacBook's USB charger in my laptop bag with a USB-C to lightning for exactly this situation.

I still charge my iPhone X more than once a day. I typically get 12 hours of use out of it, which is almost enough.

It could ship with the existing 5w and USB-A to lightning cable.
I'd just swing by the Apple store and ask them what's up. I seriously have never experienced battery life this good on any phone, Android or iPhone.
[doublepost=1525286803][/doublepost]
Let's also grow up and not act like the iphone and ios are inferior to Android in every single facet of a smartphone. Simply isn't true. Notifications and assistants, as an example, are clearly better on Android at the moment.

As a long time Apple and iphone fan I'll actually take the current user experience of Android over ios. Problem is there isn't a Android phone or smartwatch that I like at the moment.

Let's also be real, both get the job done and done very well at this point in the smartphone product cycle. It really comes down to what features you prioritize and personal preference.
Notifications are better, yes. I'm simply saying phones are absolutely not commodities. It's ridiculous to say that, really.

If anything, you could say all Androids are commodities to each other. Even I don't believe that, but it's more relevant than saying iPhone (with iOS) is just like any Android.

LovingTeddy

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Good.

But the other "growth" Android guys are hurting Android, not Apple. Apple is growing share, units, ASP, etc.
That I don’t care. I don’t even care if Apple goes bankrupt, that does not affect me.

By the way, what OS do you think Xiaomi, Huawei or Oppo use? Answer is Android

Apple's accessory pricing is highway robbery.
Only if we pay. If consumers would stop rewarding the "robbers," they would adapt toward delivering better value and/or lower pricing. As long as any company can do whatever they want and get rewarded with record after record after record in revenue & profits, the world tells that company it is doing a fantastic job, the executives at that company earn their fat bonuses, boss praises subordinates on another job well done, and so on.

Consumers hold the power. Even THAT company wants the money so badly they would adapt if consumers flexed the easy power of saying "No!" Instead, we generally buy anyway, maybe gripe about it some, then anxiously await the next time the corporation is ready for us to buy anyway again. And we do. Over and over and over again. At whatever price the corporation asks. With whatever changes- including some we might not like- the corp. decides to make for us. And some of us will then hop on boards like this gushing how great it all is and trying to convince everyone else and/or shout down any nay sayers speaking for themselves.

If you are a "robber" and your victims basically line up at 3am in the morning for you to rob them, pretty much begging you to do so, even striving to be "first!" to be "robbed" and racing to be first to post proof of the "robbery"... and then you get patted on the back for robbing them so well, and then the very same victims line up for you to do it all again and again, what do YOU do? "No, no, really, I don't want any more of your money... please, really, we have enough now... more than we know what to do with." ;)

Last edited:

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I wish. My iPhone X typically lasts me 12 hours.
...that's not 'a whole day' for you? o_O
[doublepost=1525287052][/doublepost]
my X lasts an impressive time since the battery is new. but i still cant make it a whole day if i am using the X a lot
I'm the heaviest user I know. Unless I upgrade to a beta mid-day, leaching off someone's tether, I've never feared not making it to bed time with juice, even on my X. I will say that it's not quite as strong as my 7 Plus was, but between there being more screen, twice the OIS, and a slightly smaller cell, I'm still impressed.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
I don’t care if Galaxy S9 is failing. It does not tell you anything. Huawei, Oppo, Xiaomi have seen record growth as well.

Oh my the way, my Huawei Mate 10 has fantastic battery life as well. Easily last me two days without charge.
I have not verified this, but my guess would be that Huawei, Oppo, and Xiaomi top models tend to sell for less than the Galaxy S9 (or its predecessors). Thus comparing the iPhone sales with those of the Galaxy line would be comparing high-priced phones whereas the Chinese phones would be more like mid-priced phones. Thus the point being that only Apple is able to keep its market share roughly steady while maintaining its high prices while others, namely Samsung, are less successful in the high-price segment.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Here is a map of which countries are compatible with the Europlug version (and probably got it). Despite North America, UK/Ireland, and Australia/New Zealand not being part of that, it might be the most common version:
View attachment 760391
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostecker#/media/File:World_map_showing_usability_of_the_Europlug_and_Schuko_hybrid_(type_E_and_F)_plugs_.svg
The U.S. and China use the same square 5W block charger.

Given the U.S. and China account for the majority of iPhone sales, the square 5W adapter is indeed the most common in the world.

upload_2018-5-2_11-53-4.png
upload_2018-5-2_11-53-19.png

Reactions: G5isAlive

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
I guess dropping lightning is not an option, but would be neat if everything was USB-C
I've heard a problem is that USB-C audio doesn't work as well as Lightning audio. This wouldn't be a problem if it had a headphone jack, though. Bluetooth audio is kind of cool, but it also has battery, latency, and connection limitations. It nice to just plug in a cable and it works without pairing or charging. And the latency issue is kind of off-putting in gaming. It messes up my timing to have delayed audio.

LovingTeddy

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I have not verified this, but my guess would be that Huawei, Oppo, and Xiaomi top models tend to sell for less than the Galaxy S9 (or its predecessors). Thus comparing the iPhone sales with those of the Galaxy line would be comparing high-priced phones whereas the Chinese phones would be more like mid-priced phones. Thus the point being that only Apple is able to keep its market share roughly steady while maintaining its high prices while others, namely Samsung, are less successful in the high-price segment.
That is fair assessment actually.

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
I don’t disagree, but I have charging blocks that I bought almost ten years ago and they still work today as new. Seems like a minimal loss to me... I have gone through several Anker dual USB-A bricks in the last several years because of manufacture quality.

Quality over quantity.
Macbook cables are flimsy as all hell.

Reactions: s15119

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Because some folks need to charge in middle of day due to battery dying, fast charging helps a lot when scrambling to plug into a random bar or restaurant or airport electrical outlet and need to get the battery recharged fast.
The majority of folks don't, which is why it's not included. No sense wasting all the expense on something most have no need for. It'd only increase the price further for everyone else.

Reactions: G5isAlive

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Only if we pay. If consumers would stop rewarding the "robbers," they would adapt toward delivering better value and/or lower pricing. As long as any company can do whatever they want and get rewarded with record after record after record in revenue & profits, the world tells that company it is doing a fantastic job, the executives at that company earn their fat bonuses, boss praises subordinates on another job well done, and so on.

Consumers hold the power. Even THAT company wants the money so badly they would adapt if consumers flexed the easy power of saying "No!" Instead, we generally buy anyway, maybe gripe about it some, then anxiously await the next time the corporation is ready for us to buy anyway again. And we do. Over and over and over again. At whatever price the corporation asks. With whatever changes- including some we might not like- the corp. decides to make for us. And some of us will then hop on boards like this gushing how great it all is and trying to convince everyone else and/or shout down any nay sayers speaking for themselves.
Sometimes we're forced to comply, unfortunately. Take Apple Watch charging cable. Apple was the only supplier for quite a while. If we wanted to charge at office, and home, we were at Apple's absurd accessory pricing.

Sometimes we're forced to comply, unfortunately. Take Apple Watch charging cable. Apple was the only supplier for quite a while. If we wanted to charge at office, and home, we were at Apple's absurd accessory pricing.
Not really. We were not forced to buy Apple Watch. We CHOSE to buy it. When we choose to buy Apple, we're choosing to live with Apple's profit-making decisions... including stuff like that. There are plenty of other watch makers in the world.

Note: I read your frustration. I (too?) miss the perceived Apple of old, where the nickel & diming didn't seem to be so in our faces... where Apple seemed to get that we wanted a lot of value for the Apple premium, etc. I miss that Apple (too?). This new Apple though seems to revolve around squeezing every possible nickel out of us. We can choose to allow them to do that... or not. But until we allow our money to change hands, we own 100% of each choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive and Azzin

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Agreed. I have an older 2009 MBP that has frayed cables, yet I have an HP power adapter from 2005 that still looks good. I think Apple chose form over function for their cables.
I agree with a caveat. Older Apple cables weren't terribly durable. The 6' USB-C to Lightning sitting my desk right now is actually pretty beefy. The 29w USB-C to USB-C that I bought my gf for her Essential is equally beefy.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
I agree with a caveat. Older Apple cables weren't terribly durable. The 6' USB-C to Lightning sitting my desk right now is actually pretty beefy. The 29w USB-C to USB-C that I bought my gf for her Essential is equally beefy.
I'm not sure I agree. Even my 2015 MBP cable is looking shabby at this point and I rarely use it. I'd agree that iPhone cables hold up better.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN