Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satysin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Hardware "related" does not mean it is a hardware fault though. I believe that is what the support person is saying. E.g. if it is a T2 firmware bug it is hardware related but not a hardware fault as it can be fixed in an update. I hope anyway! I have had two replacements now (second had coil whine so didn't have it long enough to see if it had the chime issue as well) and I really don't want to have to get another one!!

MacUser18095

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Do all of you have different wats of power in top left port.

System information-> System import -> Power -> AC Charging Information

Reactions: csurfr

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Do all of you have different wats of power in top left port.

System information-> System import -> Power -> AC Charging Information

No. I have the same 86W on all 4 ports, but am not having any charging issue. Are folks who do have a charging issue also having an odd reading on the top left port?

satysin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
I can't find what you are pointing at. lol

System Information -> Hardware -> Power -> AC Charger Information (right at the bottom). It will report details. Try charging on each port and see if the Wattage is different. You will need to refresh for each port (Command+R)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You can also get the info from iStat Menus if you click the battery icon and where is says charged %, hover over that line and you will see amperage/volts/watts/power adapter.

satysin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
The top left port reports 432W (what?!) but the rest 86W as expect. Hmmmmm. That isn't good lol.

MacUser18095

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
The top left port reports 432W (what?!) but the rest 86W as expect. Hmmmmm. That isn't good lol.

I had same with my MacBook Pro. Support person told me return or replace immediately.
Hopefully its not like Note 8 battery issue

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
totally different question what you feel about i7 vs i5? what's your work load and hows processor hanging up?
This is my travelling and backup machine; ordinarily I'm on my desktop PC, and I've never used an i5 Macbook for any length of time, so I have no basis for comparison. The i7 is really nice though, even iGPU graphics performance is pretty danged decent these days, at least with the Iris Plus models that have the 128MB eDRAM cache. The system does eat battery horrendously if you load it though, so heavy workloads or gaming while unplugged will mean like 1 hour battery life...or maybe less! :p

I am getting 86w on all my ports.
60W on both left ports here, as I'm on a 13" unit. I was lazy and couldn't be bothered to try the right ones. Since everyone with anomalies report the top left port standing out I'm assuming all of mine are A-OK. ;)

Reactions: SDColorado

F217H

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
Have you tried doing an SMC reset and if so, are the readings the same afterwards?
I wrote a couple of days ago I thought I'd fixed this by switching off Bluetooth. Tonight I noticed my MBP going crazy with the chiming!

Followed the advice given here - it was plugged into my top left port this evening - and have reset the SMC however, it still shows a wattage for me of 432.

Everything else seems to be fine for me. Am hoping this will simply be a firmware / software fix but will follow everyone else's developments on this thread with interest.

Reactions: SDColorado

satysin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Still shows 432 after SMC reset. Ugh wtf do I do now? Should I contact support? It is going to be a nightmare getting a UK keyboard replacement in France now I have moved here :(
[doublepost=1534675315][/doublepost]Okay I spoke with support and explained everything. They believe it is a bug in the T2 firmware that was upgraded as part of the Mojave beta install. Even if you downgrade to High Sierra the firmware is not downgraded "for security reasons" so if you installed the Mojave beta you are stuck with the beta T2 firmware until the release of Mojave (yay! sigh).

They have booked me a genius bar appointment for next weekend and escalated the issue to engineering but it is unlikely I will hear anything back imho.

As for using the machine they said I shouldn't worry providing the laptop continues to charge and operate correctly. Or I can use any of the other ports if it makes me feel better lol.

They did not know if the chime issue was related but said it is very possible with the T2 being new and it looking like it could be related to the Mojave beta. I guess we just have to wait and see!

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Still shows 432 after SMC reset. Ugh wtf do I do now? Should I contact support? It is going to be a nightmare getting a UK keyboard replacement in France now I have moved here :(
[doublepost=1534675315][/doublepost]Okay I spoke with support and explained everything. They believe it is a bug in the T2 firmware that was upgraded as part of the Mojave beta install. Even if you downgrade to High Sierra the firmware is not downgraded "for security reasons" so if you installed the Mojave beta you are stuck with the beta T2 firmware until the release of Mojave (yay! sigh).

They have booked me a genius bar appointment for next weekend and escalated the issue to engineering but it is unlikely I will hear anything back imho.

As for using the machine they said I shouldn't worry providing the laptop continues to charge and operate correctly. Or I can use any of the other ports if it makes me feel better lol.

They did not know if the chime issue was related but said it is very possible with the T2 being new and it looking like it could be related to the Mojave beta. I guess we just have to wait and see!
Just had a replacement unit for the Bridge OS bug, it was reporting 86W on all ports. Upgraded to Mojave and now the upper left shows 432W. So I am pretty sure this is software.

Unfortunately Instill have the chime issue thing...

satysin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Just had a replacement unit for the Bridge OS bug, it was reporting 86W on all ports. Upgraded to Mojave and now the upper left shows 432W. So I am pretty sure this is software.

Unfortunately Instill have the chime issue thing...
I am convinced it is software (firmware) and not hardware so I am not concerned anymore. It is annoying but it can be fixed no doubt. For now I just put the volume to zero before I go to bed so I don't hear the chime.

I ask that everyone with the 432W reporting issue raise it with support though so it gets more visibility.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I ask that everyone with the 432W reporting issue raise it with support though so it gets more visibility.
I would expect this to be entirely cosmetic. There's most likely no circumstance where the system would ever attempt to draw 432W from the power adapter anyhow, so you'll be safe. I would not worry over it - or simply plug into one of the other USB connectors.

satysin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
I would expect this to be entirely cosmetic. There's most likely no circumstance where the system would ever attempt to draw 432W from the power adapter anyhow, so you'll be safe. I would not worry over it - or simply plug into one of the other USB connectors.

Agreed which is why I am not longer worrying about it. The charger is only 87W so no way it will be able to pull more out of it with how much protection is built into chargers these days. Same with the chime issue, I am sure it is just the T2 chip bugging out for some reason. It wasn't an issue for me until I installed the Mojave beta so experience tells me it is just buggy software/firmware and not some fatal hardware issue :) At least I got a free i7 to i9 upgrade out of it lol

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
It's happening on my 87w USB C charger, but not on my Satechi USB-C 75W Travel Charger.

Last edited:

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
It's happening on my 87w USB C charger, but not on my Satechi USB-C 75W Travel Charger.

7LAQD9E.jpg
My Belkin dock with Power Delivery shows as 326W. This is not due to the power brick.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Had very few bugs, reported all of them and every new version solved some issues. This has been the most easy beta to use and very reassuring to see very few bugs.

So you are just using the beta now? Not High Sierra?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
So you are just using the beta now? Not High Sierra?
Yes, since PB 1. Always kept a macOS non beta backup drive, but never had to use it. I have a few minor apps or plugin that are not very happy with Mojave, but nothing I can't work around.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Edit: We have uncovered three '18 MBPs all with the same bug highlighted below.

As I think is the case with USB-C MBPs, my '18 15" has a power chime that plays when the power is connected or the battery becomes full. This is irritating when I work and someone may be napping, and it's just plain not necessary. It appears that /System/Library/CoreServices/PowerChime.app/Contents/Resources/connect_power.aif is played in this case. I am unable (even as sudo in terminal) to delete or change this file. I just don't understand why there isn't an option to turn this feature off when the machine is muted.

Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks!
I see the same power chime issue on both High Sierra and Mojave. SMC reset does not fix it.
I expect there eventually will be a firmware fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.