Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjsalcedosotoca

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017

We're likely less than a month away from a trio of new iPhones, and ahead of time, an anonymous user claiming to be a Foxconn factory worker in China has shared alleged details about the upcoming devices on Chinese question-and-answer site Zhihu. The list was posted July 30 and surfaced on Slashleaks today.

2018-iphone-trio.jpg

While many of the details in the list have already been rumored, or at the very least sound plausible, this information is unverified and obviously could be faked. In other words, keep your expectations in check.

Starting with design, the alleged Foxconn worker claims at least one of the new iPhones will be available in an all-new new dark green color. This lines up with a previous report from Japanese blog Mac Otakara that claimed the next iPhone XR will be available in new green and lavender finishes.

The rear glass is said to have a matte appearance, in line with analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claiming all three 2019 iPhones will feature frosted glass casing.

Interestingly, the leak suggests that the "iPhone" branding will be removed from the back of the devices. This isn't something we've heard before, but it is certainly possible that Apple believes the iPhone is now distinguishable enough for the name to be removed in favor of a more minimalistic design.

iphone-branding.jpg

As for the front, the design of the 2019 iPhones is said to be virtually the same as 2018 models, including the notch. However, due to the widely rumored removal of 3D Touch, the display is expected to be slightly thinner.

The supposed Foxconn employee claims the next iPhone XS Max will have a 3,969 mAh battery capacity -- this is the first time we've seen that number. Other details in the list have been widely rumored, including triple-lens rear cameras, the Lightning connector living on, and 3D Touch being dropped.

Last, the new iPhones are said to be available in similar 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage capacities, like the current iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. It is unclear if this includes the iPhone XR, which currently tops out at 256GB.

Again, this information has not been confirmed, so this falls into the "sketchy rumor" category. In just a matter of weeks, we'll find out for certain.

Article Link: 2019 iPhones Won't Have 'iPhone' on the Back According to So-Called Foxconn Worker

Dark green and no iPhone on the back... wow, that’s innovation!!

Reactions: 2580285

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Nothing makes sense anymore, I think it's time for Phil to go as well. The marketing department made a mess of almost every product category, only the names of the services make sense nowadays. Now they want to get rid of the 'iPhone' brand as well? What about this year's naming scheme? iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Crazy. What's next? Rebranding of the iMac?
This might not be true, you know. It is just a rumor.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Nothing makes sense anymore, I think it's time for Phil to go as well. The marketing department made a mess of almost every product category, only the names of the services make sense nowadays. Now they want to get rid of the 'iPhone' brand as well? What about this year's naming scheme? iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Crazy. What's next? Rebranding of the iMac?

How about their 18 sizes of iPads and 6 different models of that, too? It really is outrageous - I mean, we know the differences because we’re major Apple fans. But to the general consumer it is an entire. ****ing. mess. A total mess.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
How about their 18 sizes of iPads and 6 different models of that, too? It really is outrageous - I mean, we know the differences because we’re major Apple fans. But to the general consumer it is an entire. ****ing. mess. A total mess.

Maybe they want to make it so heavy on the potential customers that going to the Apple Store will feel like going to the car dealer... at the end unless you do your research beforehand you buy whatever car just to get rid of the salesmen! ;)

hsoj1006

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
Changing the "iPhone" to "Apple Phone" would be a huge blunder. It reminds me of when WWF turned to WWE and half their viewership just DROPPED right off.

Yeah, not the same thing. First, WWE had to change their name because of a lawsuit. Second, viewership didn't drop because of the name change. It dropped (over the years) due to a bad product.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wonder if we're getting closer to a new naming convention.
Apple Watch
Apple Card
Apple Pay
Apple TV
Apple TV Plus
Apple Store
Apple Phone
Apple Pad/Tablet

it would basically force everyone to think and say the Apple brand every single time.
Considering they kept the MacBook Air and brought back the iPad Air I don’t think any existing product will get a rename. Especially not iPhone and iPad which are too big of brands to change the name. Apple Phone doesn’t have the cache iPhone does.

Reactions: Icaras

Timemaster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019
Is it sad that I did not even note that it iPhone had iPhone on the back. I slap the thing in a case so fast that I never see the back.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There is, because it’s lazy design. Several other companies have already solved the issue, Apple can and should too.
How did they solve the issue? They just replaced the bezel with a hole punch or a stupid mechanical part prone to failure. I’m not sure how Apple would replace the true depth camera with a hole punch. And getting rid of Face ID just for aesthetic reasons is stupid.

Reactions: Nütztjanix

FacelessGhosts

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Apple TV, Apple Watch, and Apple Card are already physical products and not services. Let's add the Apple Car if it will ever see the light of the day.
iPhone is incredibly strong, but I think that's starting to cause an issue to Apple overall.
All the mac excluding the iMac don't have the i.
Agreed then “i” is outdated and creates confusion. How many times have we heard someone say ”is that an iwatch”. Apples nomenclature needs refinement, abandoning the number system would help. iPhone 12,13,14 imply an incremental upgrade not something that is significantly different to feel superior to the previous model. I believe changing the name to Apple Phone could bring some much needed freshness. It would need to start with a new hardware design though to help imply that it is a departure from the norm. Although is phone an outdated name? For too many people the last thing an iPhone is used for is to make calls.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I hope Apple will increase the battery across all 3 of them. But damn, if its true over 500mah for the same diagonal and resolution, it will make the iPhone 2 days of use

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
If they ever do change iPhone to Phone, they probably should do it will a completely new design, so having older iPhones around would make sense, and it would make iPhone seem like a legacy thing.

it would have been a good idea to name the iPhone X the Apple Phone imo.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Considering they kept the MacBook Air and brought back the iPad Air I don’t think any existing product will get a rename. Especially not iPhone and iPad which are too big of brands to change the name. Apple Phone doesn’t have the cache iPhone does.

Macs are already Apple Macs by definition. They don't have a common word such as "Phone" within their name. They are also much different than other Apple items due to their unique history coming from 1984; that would be a very difficult and perhaps useless branding change as Macs are just a tiny fraction of Apple's revenue but with a very long historical baggage.

I think that Apple realizes two things:
1) The "i" brand is tired and overused even outside of Apple. The book "iGen" is an example in which the "i" is even pejorative somehow. iJustine is another example.
2) The iPhone is not the centerpiece of Apple anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's humongous in terms of sales and revenues, but Apple is becoming a service based company and its products are around them. Until a few years ago, Apple was an iPhone-centric company.

Connected to point 1), there is also an issue with copyrighting. Look on amazon using the "i" prefix. You will find thousands of i-products, such as iClever Kids headphones, iComptofit Bluetooth headphones, iBuyPower Gaming PC and so on. Using Apple Phone will protect Apple from this abuse as no one can create Apple Clever Kids Headphones as they would be using the brand's name.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hopefully this means the next MacBook Pro won't have "MacBook Pro" on the bottom bezel. I always found it laughable that Apple went backward after deeming it an unnecessary distraction and removing it from the bezel of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Not having the branding text there even helped give it a more premium / minimal look compared to the earlier models.

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Wonder if we're getting closer to a new naming convention.
Apple Watch
Apple Card
Apple Pay
Apple TV
Apple TV Plus
Apple Store
Apple Phone
Apple Pad/Tablet

it would basically force everyone to think and say the Apple brand every single time.

I could 100% see this if they ditch the "11" or whatever numerical sequence they are up to, and just go to Apple Phone. I mean seriously, enough with the numbers. We do fine without them for the iPad, TV and other products

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
If they rebranded everything with Apple, what are we going to call a Mac Pro and Mac mini? An Apple Pro and Apple mini? o_O

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
If true, 512GB would be disappointing, seeing that Samsung released a 1TB S10 earlier this year.
I just don't get Apple regarding storage capacity. If they believe that Apple Music is the future and they don't want you to have your own music on your device then what's the point of having, say, more that 32 gb? I will never ever go over to streaming music but then I belong to a tiny minority, surely.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
What are people doing with 1TB of memory on their phones? Shooting the next Planet Earth series in 4k from their iPhone? Genuinely curious.

Nothing. It’s just another fabricated talking point people are using to claim the iPhone is somehow a failure. Fits right in with no SD card or removing the headphone jack. There’s always some new “dealbreaker”.

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Interestingly, the leak suggests that the "iPhone" branding will be removed from the back of the devices. This isn't something we've heard before, but it is certainly possible that Apple believes the iPhone is now distinguishable enough for the name to be removed in favor of a more minimalistic design.

Looks like a move in the right direction, Similar to removing the storage capacity and regulatory information from the back of the iPhone

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
Hopefully this means the next MacBook Pro won't have "MacBook Pro" on the bottom bezel. I always found it laughable that Apple went backward after deeming it an unnecessary distraction and removing it from the bezel of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Not having the branding text there even helped give it a more premium / minimal look compared to the earlier models.
Gotta admit, I really miss it on my 2013 MBPr …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.