Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Can't we all just get along? Sheesh...
I like my iPhone, regardless of what network it is on... now what?

Agreed, shouldnt we be focuisng this hate toward Android, come on, we're Apple people, VZW/ATT whats it matter? We have the best phones and best OS out there....:D:apple::cool:

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Can't we all just get along? Sheesh...
I like my iPhone, regardless of what network it is on... now what?

+1
The kindergarten kids I teach seem to respect and celebrate differences better than some supposedly educated adults here.

OP, sorry you are disappointed. Not too late to return it. I tuned into this thread because I am still not 100% sure whether to make the switch on Wed. I hate to give up fast data but the dropped calls are getting really old.

zephxiii

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Here is mine with JB and mytether (over USB) on AT&T in NE indiana:

1145883593.png

My best is this though:
87324874.png

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Anything under 2 Mbps for download is poor, I don't see what you're happy about

No it doesn't

You clearly don't know what you're talking about and have no experience with Verizon. Anything above 1Mbps is just fine and really even just under that is fine for browsing. In real world usage you won't notice much of a difference surfing the web on the iPhone 4 whether you're getting 1Mbps from Verizon or 3+Mbps on AT&T. Also for downloading the difference is negligible and you may save a few seconds on AT&T. Are you downloading a full copy of Adobe CS5 on your phone? No? Okay then.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I judge my Verizon network's performance based on whether it can stream Pandora without any hiccups.

Went through a few 80s ballads without issue. Mission accomplished. :D

Gavernty

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
dunno if it's relevant, but my 3g speeds were HORRENDOUS the first few weeks I had my IP4 on At&t, (I bought it on launch day). I remember a lot of people were having similar issues too, some said it had to do with heavy traffic on the network because of the launch.... but who knows

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I judge my Verizon network's performance based on whether it can stream Pandora without any hiccups.

Went through a few 80s ballads without issue. Mission accomplished. :D

That's exactly the thing.

I'd guess that over 90% of iPhone users have never heard of a Speedtest app, nor do they care what a Mbps is.

Do webpages load? Does Pandora stream? Does Facebook keep them up to date? Yes, yes and yes.

It looks as if webpages on Verizon actually load a little quicker thanks to lower latency on CDMA. Faster speeds matter for those who download several hundred gigabytes of "linux distros" every month but for a cell phone the difference between 1.5Mbps and 5Mbps won't matter much. Think Ferrari or Camry on a residential street with stop signs every block.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I knew Verizon would be slower, but not terribly slow.
At least I can make calls and surf the web at 3Mb/s on my phone. :D

GT NFR

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
I'd rather see a side-by-side comparison of the two phones loading a web page. That would give you more accurate real world comparison. Peak speeds are moot imo, spikes in speed don't really tell the whole story.

Mario Loco

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Here is what I get in PHX, AZ.

Not great speeds but reliable service. I rarely have dropped calls too. Maybe one a month. I can live with that.

Pay no attention to wifi speed. 16 year old is watching netflix and wife is on skype with freinds.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I'd rather see a side-by-side comparison of the two phones loading a web page. That would give you more accurate real world comparison. Peak speeds are moot imo, spikes in speed don't really tell the whole story.

This is exactly what I'm planning on doing when my ViPhone comes later this week. I'll have both versions side by side on 3G and will do a bunch of comparisons. After several days of testing, I'll be returning one and keeping one!

You're right though... you don't see the whole story just by looking at speed tests. Latency comes into play, as well as consistency. My guess is that the viPhone may actually start loading things more quickly, but will fall behind during larger downloads (like video streaming). For web browsing, audio streaming, and bite-sized network grabs, I'm betting they will be pretty equal (or maybe even the ViPhone doing better). It also depends on location. If you get 3+ mbps on AT&T at full signal, that's great. But if Verizon's works consistently in more areas, then that could also be a major consideration.

I can't wait to do some testing!

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.