Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I notice that if i am watching a tv channel on the UK's Tvcatchup website, if you select to goto full screen, the video freezes but the audio caries on, exit full screen and it unfreezes.

railgunner

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Mine and a co-workers experience with 4.2....

One of my coworkers upgraded and was having issues so we upgraded mine to see if we could replicate the problems....and we did. :p By the end of the day we were both reverting back to 3.2.2.

We both started out ok, liked the folders and the multitasking. Didn't care one way or the other on the orientation/silent mode change. I always use the volume controls anyways and I never use the orientation lock. We both had issues where the Wifi would show "off" and you couldn't turn it on. You could flip it to "on" but it wouldn't stay. It would revert whenever you left that screen to "Off". Even in the "Off" state with no wireless connection showing, I was able to connect to a private network that is only accessible from the wireless network. So it was obviously still connected. However, when going to the network settings, it would tell me it couldn't join the network. I purchased WiFiFoFum before it was pulled from the APP store so i turned off 3G/CellularData and cranked up the APP. It was able to see all of the networks in the area, even though the WiFi was "Off". Usually the WiFi would behave again for a while after a reboot. As the day progressed, we had more issues where going to the general settings, you got a white screen for a long time, and it would either dump you at the home screen or you would have to exit out and shut it via multitasking. Near the end of the day, it would not connect to the internet via WiFi or 3G. Oddly this happened after trying to get it to see our network printer - happened on both ipads. Mine is a 64GB and his is a 32GB, both with WiFi and 3G.

Overall, I like the new OS. It is a Beta, so odd things are expected. Thats the purpose of the Beta. Once Apple gets the kinks worked out, I'll definitely give the next Beta a try. One BIG plus was that I was able to download and test the Juniper Networks Pulse client (ssl vpn). It did not show up when accessing the Itunes store via the Ipad, but I downloaded it via my PC from Itunes and added it to my Ipad via Itunes. The app is iphoneish (1x/2x) as far as display, but it works. I was able to connect to our SA2500 and connect to the network without any problems using my RSA keyfob.

I just don't relish waiting till November some time now that I've had a taste..... :D

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I reviewed my device logs last night. The only crash I've had since 4.2 is Mental Note for iPad. I left it running in the background and my iPad wouldn't turn on about three hours later. After a soft reset and shutting down all the running apps, everything was fine.

It was odd though, that even after a soft reset, all of the apps were still running in the background and the slide to unlock acted like it wasn't responding -- it was just lagged out. Eventually it would respond so I could shut them all down, and then did a second soft reset and everything was working normally again.

Seeing as that's the only actual crash I've had, I think this is a really solid beta. It's got its kinks, but those will get ironed out. All my Universal apps are running like a top, and no "Low Memory" items in the log at all.

Magic Pad

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Purchased Ringtones

For all the ringtones I purchased, they no longer play on the IP4 (4.2 B1) - i.e - it allows me to select the purchased ringtone, but will not play even when someone calls me. The device will play the stock ringtones when selected.

Anyone else seeing this?

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
For all the ringtones I purchased, they no longer play on the IP4 (4.2 B1) - i.e - it allows me to select the purchased ringtone, but will not play even when someone calls me. The device will play the stock ringtones when selected.

Anyone else seeing this?
I'm not, but I wouldn't put beta software on my phone. Most of the people in this thread are talking about bugs with 4.2 on their iPads.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
All the things I use regularly including my third party email and air video either crash or just don't work, so I'm in the middle of restoring to 3.2.2 as I write. What a waste of time that was! It'll teach me to be too impatient and expect something as off the wall as email to work in a beta. Blimey, next I'll be expecting youtube to work properly!

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
It's a beta. And a damn good one given that it's a beta1.
I am actually suprised at how few problems it has.

But there is a reason why Apple releases these to developers only.
It is meant for us to make sure all apps are running fine when the final is released to the public.
Beta versions should never be installed on production devices.
At least it's always a good idea to wait for a few days and listen to what others have to say about the possible problems.

That said, I can understand why iPad owners are impatient.
Folders and Multitasking are overdue, and I love these features.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
It's a beta. And a damn good one given that it's a beta1.
I am actually suprised at how few problems it has.

But there is a reason why Apple releases these to developers only.
It is meant for us to make sure all apps are running fine when the final is released to the public.
Beta versions should never be installed on production devices.
At least it's always a good idea to wait for a few days and listen to what others have to say about the possible problems.

That said, I can understand why iPad owners are impatient.
Folders and Multitasking are overdue, and I love these features.

Well said. Best beta 1 of iOS I have ever tried. People need to realize it will be buggy and just enjoy the fact that it is usuable as an everyday device (minus some quirks). Considering how far along it is, the only reason I can see them needing until november, is the printing/airplay. Its too bad because Multitasking and folders is LONG overdue

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
I've had to revert back to 3.2.1, as much as i like the beta, i have a constant issue with WIFI, if i set up wifi at home, and try to use wifi at work, the wifi doesn't respond, and crashes the settings app. I was pissed off enough about Air Video, but no wifi when i travel is a dealbreaker.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
I've had to revert back to 3.2.1, as much as i like the beta, i have a constant issue with WIFI, if i set up wifi at home, and try to use wifi at work, the wifi doesn't respond, and crashes the settings app. I was pissed off enough about Air Video, but no wifi when i travel is a dealbreaker.

This is exactly how 3.2.1 worked for me, and 4.2 wi-fi actually works and reconnects. How odd.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
One odd bug I'm seeing... Safari sometimes will not display content from facebook. The upper menu is present, but the wall isn't showing up. It's intermittent.

That actually happened to me with 3.2.1/3.2.2

I usually just clear my cache and that fixes it.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
ABC Player - can't connect to server, doesn't work
TWC Max+ - crashes 98% of the time
NPR - Won't display pictures just does load the text
News Pro - always crashes
Epicurious - doesn't seem to be able to connect at all (like ABC Player)

Missing account button for 3G
iTunes doesn't load previews
Keyboard clicks very soft (may be intentional)

Most other things I've tried seem to be working. Initial launch of some apps seem slower.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Most other things I've tried seem to be working. Initial launch of some apps seem slower.

I have noticed this as well. Some apps are loading up pretty slow. Also noticed this with "Settings". Seems to take longer than it used to

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
The iWork apps seem the slowest at the moment but tolerable. I want my orientation lock button back. I don't need a hardware mute.

the-sandman

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Leicester, UK
One odd bug I'm seeing... Safari sometimes will not display content from facebook. The upper menu is present, but the wall isn't showing up. It's intermittent.

I've noticed this, and menu items on flickr won't load, just showing a loading animation.

Still it is the best beta 1 I've used in a while though!

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I keep having wifi connection issues. The first issue I posted yesterday where the settings wouldn't even let me touch the wifi section. I restored to a fresh beta 1 last night and then today I was able to connect via my laptop, but couldn't get the iPad to connect. I switched networks, airplane mode, etc. and no luck. Also notice that the settings is really slower to access vs. 3.2.2.

I hope apple takes back the volume mute button and goes back to o. lock. The mute button serves no purpose and the o. lock actually got used quite a bit.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
More app bugs:

- SoundNote (Paper) freezes up when using an external keyboard and hitting the tab button.

- Dropbox hangs in the background at the blue screen, despite the fact it's a universal app and has multitasking support. Needs to be killed manually after use.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
--The Early Edition crashes on launch. Disappointed because this is a daily app for me. Any other RSS readers crashing for people?

--In Safari, sometimes drop-down menus/fields like the "Search this Thread" in these forums don't show up or only show a small portion when clicked on.

Otherwise, still a pretty stable beta.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Posted this in the 'First Impressions' thread but it's probably worth putting it here too.

One thing I've noticed is that in iPod my album tracks appear in a random order when I'm viewing in album mode. When I select a track and go to the 'now playing' screen the tracks are in numerical order but continue to follow the out of order track listings. No, shuffle is not on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.