Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Hmm. I can't imagine Jony Ive saying, "yeah this product is thin enough...let's keep it as it is." Just doesn't seem to be his style! :) However, I suspect that in the interest of prioritization that they might keep the form factor the same this year and just make the battery larger; especially given that they're going to cram more sensors into it.

My wife and I are really excited about the prospect of Apple Watch 2; we'll definitely be getting it. I would usually have one already but I had other money priorities and although I'm usually the one to have a 1st gen device, it's sometimes better to wait for the product to mature a bit first.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I may have to wait a decade or so, but I will NOT buy an Apple Watch of any kind unless it's thinner, can be completely independent (meaning GPS+Cell+WiFi+Bluetooth+NFC), and have week-long battery life.

Until then, it's simply not a practical enough item for me to buy.

Heck, your smartphone doesn't do all of that after 10 years and it doesn't even have biometric sensors. Is the modern smartphone not yet practical?

Reactions: bbbb4b

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm happy with the current thinness, it's actually the smallest watch I own. I have no problem with the battery life, I think I have only ever run out of battery once, and I wear it every day. I'm not bothered by it being dependant on my iPhone, as I always have it with me, but I like that it stays in my pocket more now than before I got the watch. My only real complaint is the lag\lack of responsiveness from time to time, which from what I have heard is much better under watchOS 3.

Of course advancement is great, and I'm not denying that many other people use the watch differently, and have different needs and wants for a smartwatch. I'm just pretty satisfied with what the watch gives me now, and hopeful that OS 3 will make it even better.

For Apple to sell me another watch it will have to a) add some new functionality that I get excited about, and b) maintain compatibility with the bands I have (I am much less likely to buy a new model that I can't use my small range of existing bands with.)

Most likely I will skip the 2nd gen and see how the 3rd gen turns out.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
would be awesome if they added some storage so you can pair it with bluetooth headphones. Hoping to do-away with my ipod shuffle.

Reactions: jimbobb24

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I may have to wait a decade or so, but I will NOT buy an Apple Watch of any kind unless it's thinner, can be completely independent (meaning GPS+Cell+WiFi+Bluetooth+NFC), and have week-long battery life.

Until then, it's simply not a practical enough item for me to buy.

So you're basically wanting an iPhone with a significantly smaller screen, with 7 times the size of the battery of the current Apple Watch, but smaller....?

Any decade now....

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
would be awesome if they added some storage so you can pair it with bluetooth headphones. Hoping to do-away with my ipod shuffle.
You already can. Only 2GB storage, but good enough for a run.
[doublepost=1472437122][/doublepost]
Cellular would be a deal breaker for me. I don't want cellular radiation next to my skin all day every day. Carrying around a cellphone is enough already.
Put some of that tinfoil from your hat between your arm and your wrist. Problem solved.

Or maybe read up on non-ionising radiation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
seriously i mean who cares about gps for a fitness tracker? you run the same loop around your neighborhood every day.

Obviously your not a serious runner, because if you were, you would understand it has more to do than "Run the same loop around your neighborhood" comment.

Reactions: BrodieApple

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It needs GPS and the ability to store at least one small playlist so that I can leave my phone home to go running and play the music through bluetooth headphones and leave the iPod shuffle at home. I have realized I only use my watch for 3 things - health/tracking but I need my phone still and it is not very accurate, text messages during a meeting so don't have to pull out phone, and occasionally answering my phone through it. If Garmin or someone builds a watch that does those things before apple I will switch. I don't need much, but I must have the GPS so can run without lugging around the phone and would be obvious to ditch the shuffle with a tiny bit of thought about local storage.

It could also be thinner.

[doublepost=1472439104][/doublepost]
You already can. Only 2GB storage, but good enough for a run.
[doublepost=1472437122][/doublepost]Put some of that tinfoil from your hat between your arm and your wrist. Problem solved.

Or maybe read up on non-ionising radiation.

Hey - how do you transfer music to the watch? I had no idea - this is great news. EDIT: Thanks-found it! Great news.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlainviewX

ThaRuler

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2016
I also want it to be thinner. So thin that it disappears. Just kill it already apple!!!!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I also want it to be thinner. So thin that it disappears. Just kill it already apple!!!!!

You know they won't kill the Apple Watch. But then again, anyone who reads ANY of your previous Apple Watch posts, understands you cannot be taken seriously.

I will let you know how much I like the Apple Watch 2 when I receive my order for two of them on launch day.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

What is this crap? The Jony Ive I know would never opt for more battery life at the expense of thinness.

Reactions: duffman9000

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia

If you take from that paper that cell phone radiation causes cancer in males, you also have to take from that paper that cell phone radiation prevents cancer in females. Just look at page 13.

There is a reason they have separated the non-control categories into 12 different groups. That reason is so they can ignore the groups with below average cancer growth, and just point at the inevitable statistical outliers as "proof" CDMA/GSM causes cancer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikGrim

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

What is this crap? The Jony Ive I know would never opt for more battery life at the expense of thinness.

You know Jony Ive? Sounds like your sarcasm meter is running low.
[doublepost=1472442017][/doublepost]
Nah.Just notify me when the new watch bands come out :apple:

Another infamous unoriginal Watch Band comment to add to the Wasteland pile. Congrats.

Reactions: DotCom2

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I've actually been very impressed with my watch's battery. The watch IS something I would like to see thinness improved on over battery, ironically.

Me too. I would like to see it thinned, secondly, a little faster. No gps or anything else needed, just these two.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
What's the big difference? It probably leads to forgetting to charge your Apple Watch every second night instead of making it a habit every night. And also I don't think that many people are wearing their watches while sleeping.. (only use case would be sleep tracking but therefore you will probably need a battery life of about 5-7 days to make it really useful).

I wear my watch while sleeping, usually for sleep tracking but also HomeKit items (can control from bed). Surprisingly useful (though the sleep tracking needs work. I recharge when eating, showering, in bathroom, playing with my cats-an hour a day, I suppose, is enough to make it always run.

clayek

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Charging it everyday isn't impressive. It's a chour. But if I can do two full days with active use - then that's worth considering.

Charging every other day sounds like a chore to me. "Wait, did I charge it last night...I don't remember. Lemme check the battery life to see if it needs it. Damn, It's at 50%, what do I do???" It seems a lot simpler to just charge it every night since you're going to take it off anyways, unless you're one of those weird people that wears their watch while they sleep...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.