Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
About the small high end.
Really stop..
Apple could release an updated and very good smaller iphone. But it will be impossible to have all of the features of the bigger smartphone in the smallest factor. A two lens camera in a 4 inch package? Won' t be possible untill at least 2018. Unless they will cut corners on the bigger iphone. And i would not be ok with that.
You know, you came sooooo close.

You presented a decent counter-argument (although you mentioned only one reason you think a smaller form factor phone might not be able to be full-featured) and that's fine.

But you just had to throw in the "Really stop," turning you into yet another MR mudslinger who derides others for simply posting preferences, as though your riteousness somehow gives you more right. Are you like this at home (assuming other people live with you) or do you just belittle people from the comfort of anonymity?

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
If they curved one iOS device they'd have to curve them all, for consistency, and can you imagine that giant rocking chair curve on an iPad pro?! If the curve were to be pronounced enough to make it worthwhile on the iPad, you'd either have to put up with a rocking iPad, or it would need to be 1-1.5" thick to embed/absorb the curve. :D

Fools don't think about the bigger scope when they churn out these moronic "rumours".
[doublepost=1489247026][/doublepost]
And a curved glass cover (that we have on iPhones since the iPhone 6) doesn't add reflections?

You don't use the part of the screen with the bevel, it's outside the lcd area.
[doublepost=1489247333][/doublepost]
I have the SE and am very happy. I had the 7, great phone but I like the usability of the SE. I would prefer better front camera, 3d touch as well (perhaps a 7 design but in the 4 to 4.2in display would be awesome).

Well, that's just me.

If I had the money for an SE, I'd buy one, but I'm extremely content with my 5S which I've only had since October. My friend is already attempting to convince me I "need" to "upgrade" to a used iPhone 6... absolutely no chance. I'm no consumer lemming.

Last edited:

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
It hasn't been confirmed by Apple as of yet. It's also been a rumor that a March event may not happen due to the transition into the new facility with Apple Park. Possible April keynote. But if we don't see a rumor or invitation sent by next week or shortly after, then I believe it will be April.

Just tired of iphone rumors...I want to see actual products like a new mac mini or a new pro. I've been waiting for a replacement for my 2007 mac mini a long time now.

Aleh

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Based on some calculations I could see them going for something like this:

iPhone 8
5.8" 2160x1080 (2:1) 416 ppi [No resolution bump except for the ratio adjustment would mean 289 ppi, way too low]
Similar physical size as iPhone 7

iPhone 8 Plus
6.6" 2880x1440 (2:1) 488 ppi [No resolution bump except for the ratio adjustment would mean 366 ppi]
Similar physical size as iPhone 7 Plus

Which would mean all the bezels would shrink considerably and result in a slightly curved display at the edges, unless they enlarge the overall size of the phones a bit.
Otherwise, they could keep the side bezels the same size to preserve a completely flat display with the same width of the current ones, resulting in something like this:

iPhone 8
5.2" 2160x1080 (2:1) 464 ppi [No resolution bump except for the ratio adjustment would mean same ppi as current 7]
Similar physical size as iPhone 7

iPhone 8 Plus
6" 2880x1440 (2:1) 537 ppi [No resolution bump except for the ratio adjustment would mean same ppi as current 7 Plus]
Similar physical size as iPhone 7 Plus

JeffLass

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2007
A curved screen on a smartphone, like the curved screens on HDTVs, are ridiculous and unnecessary. They're gimmicks to show off technical expertise -- and maybe create an advertising or showroom "look at me" -- but nothing more. Users who watch videos on curved displays are disappointed that the edges of the display are not readily visible. When I watch a video on my iPhone I want to see 100% of the display edge-to-edge and top-to-bottom surrounded by a very thin bezel. IMHO, the display on my iPhone is perfect as it is. My iPhone is in a protective wallet case and has a screen protector such that the display is still 100% visible. [I can't imagine not having both on a smartphone]. Everything about the LCD display though -- colors, resolution, brightness, contrast, and size -- are SO good, that it's hard to believe that they can be improved. If OLED does, in fact, improve color saturation and contrast -- without reducing battery life or display visibility -- then I would welcome that, but everything else is just right for me. When gimmicks diminish a device's functionality then they should be removed and sent to Stupid Idea Purgatory.

jft94

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I would like to add something. I have seen people say they have doubts this year is going to be the iPhone 8 and we will be getting an iPhone 7s/7s Plus only. Is it not obvious at this point though? Sure, they are only rumors. But if we're being honest, the iPhone 7/7Plus obviously wasn't like a new non-S model normally is when they're released, in terms of a redesign/new feature standpoint.

I think it's definitely safe to say they've been testing the iPhone 8 since last year in preparation of release this year, based on the "lackluster" iPhone 7 last year (although it's obviously a great device).

I think the only question this year is if we are getting an iPhone 8 only or if we are 7s' as well as the iPhone 8.
[doublepost=1489249310][/doublepost]
If OLED does, in fact, improve color saturation and contrast -- without reducing battery life or display visibility --

I thought one of the main points about OLED is that it brings better screen clarity while also using less power than a LCD, leading to better battery life?

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I don't understand anything about this messy lineup. and I don't understand why there should be a premium iPhone which do not suit my needs. I thought all the iPhones were supposed to be premium. In this case it's not

There is no "lineup." You are getting bent out of shape based on rumors and speculation that has posited dozens of conflicting configurations, none of which are even in production.

Reactions: Tycho24

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
You know, you came sooooo close.

You presented a decent counter-argument (although you mentioned only one reason you think a smaller form factor phone might not be able to be full-featured) and that's fine.

But you just had to throw in the "Really stop," turning you into yet another MR mudslinger who derides others for simply posting preferences, as though your riteousness somehow gives you more right. Are you like this at home (assuming other people live with you) or do you just belittle people from the comfort of anonymity?

So, and you?
Are you always prejudice and get personal when people say things you don' t like?
Sorry, really can' t accept that.
I give an opinion about an iphone that you don' t agree with (a freeking phone, come on!) and you decide to offend me ?
And the typical generalisations about how i am in my personal life....
Good luck to you, i hope you smarten up.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I thought one of the main points about OLED is that it brings better screen clarity while also using less power than a LCD, leading to better battery life?[/QUOTE]

It should. It's more complicated than yes no, but since there's no backlight with OLED, each pixel is individually lit, which should lead to less energy used when darker colors are used as less, or in some cases, e.g., black none, is needed.

Last edited:

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
So, and you?
Are you always prejudice and get personal when people say things you don' t like?
Sorry, really can' t accept that.
I give an opinion about an iphone that you don' t agree with (a freeking phone, come on!) and you decide to offend me ?
And the typical generalisations about how i am in my personal life....
Good luck to you, i hope you smarten up.
I had no problem with your post, and disagreeing with your iPhone preference isn't the issue. I have a problem with you trying to stop me from expressing mine. You're free to read it again to double check, but I doubt you will.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Just tired of iphone rumors...I want to see actual products like a new mac mini or a new pro. I've been waiting for a replacement for my 2007 mac mini a long time now.

I've heard speculation that the Mac mini, like the MacBook Air is finished with. If Apple discontinue it, would you switch to Windows or buy a different Mac?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I would say 99% of what keeps sites like this going is the endless speculation about what Apple is going to do next. It used to be exciting because new things were always coming out, surprising us, got us talking.

I dont know about the rest of you, but lately when something comes out it's like... "oh that's thin", or "seems faster", or "oh look a touch bar", or "what no headphone jack?", and "how many dongles do you have?".

I think the secrecy Apple engages in at this point is a little silly. There are so many other new and exciting things coming out constantly from other companies. It's not like Samsung and everybody else hasn't already stolen every iOS icon and device design Apple has developed and then taken it one step further. Apple is playing catch up at this point but keeping it a big secret. Do we really need to be in the dark about whether they are going to release a product that is actually up to date with the latest processor like everyone else?

Other companies have taken it one step further with curved displays, wireless charging, OLED, thin, rounded, faster. It's all been done already. If Apple decides to jump on the bandwagon why is it so secret?

So whats the big secret? Do they need to be so hush hush just to find out the next phone is a little thinner, a little faster, maybe a thinner bezel. Big deal.

I think they should go the other way and make public what's under development. I'd be more excited to know that new Mac Mini is just around the corner, rather than endlessly speculating and frequenting sights like this in the hopes that Apple is going to sell me something I want. I think far too many people have got tired of waiting and jumped ship. Too bad really.
[doublepost=1489252637][/doublepost]
I've heard speculation that the Mac mini, like the MacBook Air is finished with. If Apple discontinue it, would you switch to Windows or buy a different Mac?

If the Mac Mini is gone so am I. I don't want an All in One.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Did we get these many iPhone 7 rumors last year around this time? I feel like I see a new rumor every week and quite a bit contradict themselves.

I am excited for the iPhone 8, but am considering the S8 when it comes out for some reason. Hopefully the only hole it will "burn in my pocket" is the money part and not an actual hole.

FrenchRoasted

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
The iPhone SE is good, what more would you want in a small phone? Maybe 3D touch? But otherwise it seems pretty awesome to me.
The size of the bezel in relation to the overall phone size is much more important on an SE variant. I also hope they keep it thick with a high capacity battery.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I would say 99% of what keeps sites like this going is the endless speculation about what Apple is going to do next. It used to be exciting because new things were always coming out, surprising us, got us talking.

I dont know about the rest of you, but lately when something comes out it's like... "oh that's thin", or "seems faster", or "oh look a touch bar", or "what no headphone jack?", and "how many dongles do you have?".

I think the secrecy Apple engages in at this point is a little silly. There are so many other new and exciting things coming out constantly from other companies. It's not like Samsung and everybody else hasn't already stolen every iOS icon and device design Apple has developed and then taken it one step further. Apple is playing catch up at this point but keeping it a big secret. Do we really need to be in the dark about whether they are going to release a product that is actually up to date with the latest processor like everyone else?

Other companies have taken it one step further with curved displays, wireless charging, OLED, thin, rounded, faster. It's all been done already. If Apple decides to jump on the bandwagon why is it so secret?

So whats the big secret? Do they need to be so hush hush just to find out the next phone is a little thinner, a little faster, maybe a thinner bezel. Big deal.

I think they should go the other way and make public what's under development. I'd be more excited to know that new Mac Mini is just around the corner, rather than endlessly speculating and frequenting sights like this in the hopes that Apple is going to sell me something I want. I think far too many people have got tired of waiting and jumped ship. Too bad really.
[doublepost=1489252637][/doublepost]

That's a completely legit way to feel. It would be great for Apple to update it, and keep it around as a decent computer.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
The iPhone is the new Porsche. Same design, same car every year, yet it has thousands of design changes according to themselves.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
First of all I want to clarify that I mean only the edges of the display being curved down. Second I would implement a 3D Touch only parameter on said edges of the screen. With those two caveats I think it could be very useful. Not an exhaustive list, but some ideas include:
A virtual home button
Volume adjustments
Mini control center
An area for selecting menus within an app
Scrolling updates (weather, stock, traffic, etc.)
Tabs within safari or app switching

I could go on, but my point is: no I don't assume it's a good idea for literally everything, but there are some applications that I think would make an OS more robust.
[doublepost=1489245883][/doublepost]

Ahh yes, I could see those types of features working. Not sure I'd want them personally. I just like at least a few truly tactile controls. I'm also a big fan of putting grippy case on my phone. :)

Reactions: lowercaseperson

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden

Different Mac, no way I'm going Windows. But why would they ditch it? I'm not in a need of a computer with a built in screen since I already got one that works

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You don't use the part of the screen with the bevel, it's outside the lcd area.
Maybe you should clarify that you are not concerned about having reflections (because we already have them) but of them obscuring part of the screen.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
What the heck does curved screen even mean? Why would anyone ever even want a truly curved screen on a phone? I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a properly curved screen. I think the whole curved screen thing have always been the "2.5D" flat screen with curved edges.

What would be truly newsworthy is a foldable screen, in thirds, so you go from a device the size of an iPhone SE that folds out like a paper folded in thirds, to a screen the size of an iPad mini. Apps have three available modes, ⅓, ⅔, and the full all 3 screens. You can have split screen mode like on the iPad, but up to 3 apps adapting to their different views.

You wouldn't even have to change anything because it is the exact same way split screen works on iPad now, in thirds and halves.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I would say 99% of what keeps sites like this going is the endless speculation about what Apple is going to do next.
I agree, but isn't that 100% of the name of this site?

I think the secrecy Apple engages in at this point is a little silly.
I agree, but one could argue that it was driven to be that way because of sites like this and consumers like us.

Edit: and maybe Samsung.

I think they should go the other way and make public what's under development.
One problem with that is economic. The reason Apple (and lots of other companies) don't want us to know details about what's next is concern over consumers choosing not to buy what's available now. In Tech, products evolve quickly, and it's already tough to decide when to jump in.

Me neither, but I'm fairly satisfied with my 2010 Mini and I'm too deep in the ecosystem to bail. I'm fortunate to have a quad core i7 Mini, as I do a fair amount of video transcoding, but I wouldn't mind a bump in my computer's math skills.

Good comments.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.