5.8-Inch iPhone Said to Have Curved Display, But Not as Curved as Galaxy S7 Edge

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Skoal macrumors 65816

Agreed! It's just more surface area to crack. I prefer the subtle rounded edges the iPhone currently has or even the flat face of the iPhone 4. This abrupt curvature on the Samsung phones just doesn't do it for me.

2. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Maybe, but I haven't seen any useful application of curved screens on phones up to this point. The Galaxy edges look cool, but they have some pretty serious screen distortion at the edge and the edge shortcuts weren't very ergonomic.

3. Skoal macrumors 65816

Lol really?

4. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Macfacts would be a better forum for you.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    You forgot to add, but I'll buy it anyway.

5. Skoal macrumors 65816

Not magical just better. I can't see Apple making a pointless curved screen for looks alone. Too much of a pia to be worth it. Oh and Samsungs implementation is fugly

6. Skoal macrumors 65816

And yet there's no real evidence they're even making a curved screen. Regardless calling Apple shameless when it comes to how blatantly obvious Samsung is with their ripoffs is hilarious. White phone, gold phone, etc etc the list goes on.

7. Skoal macrumors 65816

Curved display? What in Gods name is the point of a curved display? Completely useless

8. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

It doesn't mean that the curved display doesn't serve a purpose, it just means that you don't have a preference for it. We don't know if Apple is making a curved display similar to the galaxy S7 edge or not. But if Apple does develop a curved display, then we would have to see what it's capable of providing for the user experience.

I personally don't think we will see a curved display similar to the S7 Edge.

9. diipii macrumors 6502a

The tiny differences in the curvature of a phone screen is not ever going to impact life for anyone other than the myopic, gullible or stupid. Macrumors has reached a point where its efforts to broadcast fluff like this has invoked extreme boredom with all things Apple, phone, pad and pod related. And don't get me started on the new office block.

10. dilbert99 macrumors 6502a

just the edge of the screen rest of it is flat

11. ValO macrumors 65816

There will be a real curved screen iphone, when it makes sense for apple. When they find a way to implement in screen volume buttons , they will release an iphone that has a much " deeper" and sharp curve, totally curved along the sides. That would be the next step to achieve a single piece of glass design. I guess that will happen somewhere in 2019/2020. For now in 2017 i guess we' ll see a 2.5d or something like that. Except for looks it won' t add something new.

12. jaymie1983 macrumors member

jaymie1983

Why would I want my phone to be curved? Rubbish

13. shk718 macrumors 65816

I didn't think screen size's larger than 3.5" looked silly - i thought phones large enough to house them looked unmanageable - and they are. I have the plus phone and it is too big. I have to manipulate the phone too much to use it one handed. The only reason I bough it is because of the camera (which I do love). hope apple shrinks the phone but leaves the screen in tact.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    I love the concept of the smart bar and it's very consistent with Apples approach to keyboards - they thought a physical keyboard was too limiting. A digital one can change depending on the need of the application. It was a brilliant concept. The physical home button that can't change, or at least have additional buttons on either side of it that can is like that.

14. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't. What have you been looking at, a phone screen placed on the other side of a glass of water?

Curved edges are excellent to maximize screen size and does not make much of a difference for the actual user. Case in point: Galaxy S7 Edge vs iPhone 7 Plus. One is large, the other one humongous with massive bezels on all sides. The physical screen size though is as good as identical between the two devices.

Yes, if you glance at you neighbour's phone on the plane it might not be optimal for you, but the way he sees the screen is very different from how you perceive it from an angle.

15. 6foot5foot Suspended

These folks need to learn about the words "bevel" and "taper". The front edge of a granite worktop is often bevelled, but you wouldn't call the worktop "curved". This is what happens when engineering concepts are talked about by non-engineering people. Kinda reminds me of when EVERY SINGLE "journalist" used to refer to the aluminium iMac finish as "brushed aluminium".... EVERY. SINGLE. ARTICLE. Noooooo, that's ANODISED aluminium - a brushed finish has linear streaks on the surface.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

16. doctor-don macrumors 65816

And does the display need a screen protector?
    If so, how does a screen protector adhere to a display that has curved edges?

17. LordVic macrumors 68040

That is one of my favourite designs for a smartphone i've seen so far.

Apple needs to hire this guy :p

because Ive and Cook Have lost the plot somewhere
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    the screen protectors for the S7 are curved to match.

pain in the ass to apply though

18. passatgt macrumors newbie

I would very much like to work for Apple :)

19. samparmenter macrumors 6502

That depends on whether I need a new phone and the rest of the features make it worth it. I'm still using an iPhone 6+ at the moment quite happily.

20. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Apple's widely rumored 5.8-inch iPhone will feature a curved OLED display, although the curvature will be gentler than Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge...

Soooooo, kind of like the iPhone 6–7?

21. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

I'd like to add this to any "forms over function" discussion:

There are still physical buttons on the current and likely future iPhones. Out of aesthetic reasons the power button is symmetrically opposite to the volume + button.

Last week my wife told me how she hates that arrangement, because she often hits the power button when she wants to change volume. That happens because in order to push the volume buttons you need some opposite force, which often happens to land said power button.

This is no real surprise, because your index finger and thumb naturally land opposite to each other when you hold and/or "squeeze" something. Unfortunately that either fact either went unnoticed by Apple's design department or they deliberately chose to ignore it in favor of visual aesthetics.

My wife didn't even know the reason why the position was changed in the first place, so it seems that the disadvantages (obvious) of the new placement outweigh the advantages (not so obvious).

22. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

Yeah it's annoying. The devices are too big nowadays compared to the iPhone 4 and 5 to warrant a power button on the top though. I still would prefer the top (intentional, and out of the way), but for those who use the button very regularly, it's more of a hassle on the current very large devices.

23. keithtae macrumors member

Yea, because you sound convincing and really own that device. Lol. Just like "many" users here. Lol.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    Note Edge came out = curve screens are gimmicks!

Iphone X with curve screen = we had "curve form factor" since 2014! Yay! We are not copying! Since curve form factor = edge display!

24. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

However much the glass ends up curving, I want that icon layout. So much more sensible for one-handed use.
    Happens to me quite a bit when I want to take a landscape photo/video. I regularly use the volume button as the shutter, but also find myself clicking the lock button accidentally.
    I'd be curious about so many inputs at the very bottom edge of the screen. I wonder if we'd either get a) many unintentional taps and/or b) more drops because of decreased stability when holding. It would also seem to limit potential case options.

25. ValO macrumors 65816

Why do you generalize so much.
    Not all apple users are the same and have the same opinion.
    There are a lot of apple users which don' t like a real curved display, and which like a curved display.
    You make it seem that those 2 opinions are stated by the same group of users and that they are changing their minds on the go.