Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
yeah yeah, Apple maps blah blah blah
Off topic: Apple Maps. The turd storm with Apple Maps was a marketing mishap that could have easily been avoided. If Apple hadn't intro Maps with so much flourid "Apple speak" and effusive praises, people might not have had such high expectations of 1 gen software. Apple Maps was set up for failure.

On topic: iPad Pro. Pro - an unfortunate sobriquet for a pretty decent product. Hopefully Apple gets the software sorted for the affected users.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I know I do not own the affected models, but dang...guess I'll be keeping my 12.9" iPP on iOS 9.2 for as long as I can.

This is ridiculous.

Again, I hope everyone who has this issue is able to get it fixed fast.

C'mon, Apple.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
mine is crashing and drains battery like crazy
Though my iPad Pro hasn't crashed yet (and I haven't updated), the battery in standby does seem to get sucked dry unusually quickly.

What puzzles me is why some iPads are affected and some aren't. Does hardware vary that much between devices that theoretically should be identical?

Reactions: 69Mustang

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I want to see better stats than 'views' and 'comments'. Clicks are only proof of adequate bait.

Really. I'm going to have to find an Apple site where there are less apple haters than apple enthusiasts, who all appear to have abandoned macrumors. Technology, whether Apple or otherwise, is AMAZING but rarely even close to perfect. It seems almost everyone here forgets that in the grander scale of things, computer technology is still in its infancy. One or two people report an issue and 300 negative comments will follow like clockwork.

End of rant. We will now return you to your regularly scheduled whinefest.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Stinks that the released something that haven't been thorough tested or released with known defects.

Well, it's not as easy as that. But where I second you is that one should assume that an update runs perfectly on the current flagship models maybe in contrast to some older, soon outdated versions.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Really. I'm going to have to find an Apple site where there are less apple haters than apple enthusiasts, who all appear to have abandoned macrumors. Technology, whether Apple or otherwise, is AMAZING but rarely even close to perfect. It seems almost everyone here forgets that in the grander scale of things, computer technology is still in its infancy. One or two people report an issue and 300 negative comments will follow like clockwork.

End of rant. We will now return you to your regularly scheduled whinefest.

I get your point, but I think that you're off.
Apple fans and customers have praised the products almost to the point of a sect or a religious order. One of the major selling points? "Oh, but a Mac/iDevice is much better than Windows! It doesn't crash!".
Now, this 9.7" pro issue might be limited, and you might be right in believing that there is a lot more ado about nothing than a real issue, but only in the specific case.
If you sum up all the issues that Apple users had in the past few years, and multiply it by a sad personal computing lineup, then you see the problem. We even had a major iOS update that caused serious issues not many months ago.
And we had an update that had to be updated. And we had iCloud issues (it's also a subpar product). Photos is a good idea but a messy delivery. And we had Maps issues. And Macbooks have WiFi issues. And iTunes is so awful that it might be the main reason I would stop using technology at all and go Amish.
Apple is supposed to be built on reliability.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
PROceed with caution when downloading 9.3.2. If this updated bricked my iPad, I would use my iPad and throw it directly at Apple. At least it would serve a purpose.

forerunnerg34

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2015
Ecuador
Remember how Steve Jobs warned people around him to not act as they might think he would have done?

I think Apple will have to disobey and force themselves into a "new" mindset (which is the old Jobs' ethos) or otherwise give Cook a kick in the ass.

And is not just because they are getting famous for buggy software, but the lack of focus, abillity to add complete features to existing products, and lazzy design. Competition will eat Apple if they don't change their CEO.

Reactions: Demo Kit

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This could've been avoided if Apple had just shrunken down the 12.9" iPP to 9.7" but, no, they had to get greedy and gimp the 9.7" iPP.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Though my iPad Pro hasn't crashed yet (and I haven't updated), the battery in standby does seem to get sucked dry unusually quickly.

What puzzles me is why some iPads are affected and some aren't. Does hardware vary that much between devices that theoretically should be identical?
You could be on to something. We naturally assume an iPad is an iPad is an iPad. But that's not necessarily true. With the same components coming from different vendors, it could be a combination of incompatible hardware and hardworking software that makes some of the iPP's malfunction.

"i-P-P's"... giggle fodder for 8 year old me. :D

Reactions: scott911

forerunnerg34

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2015
Ecuador
Unbelieveable for a company that has total control over the hardware and software, with a small number of product lines (iPhones, iPads) and with a beta program for quality assurance. I think that:

1. iOS became to complex for engineers.
2. Product quality doesn't matter anymore, customers will just wait for the next fix and the next fix and the next fix, after all this is not the first time a "performance and security update" bricks an Apple device..
3. Too many products to mantain.
4. Uneffective beta program, may help if they let developers know what the hell in inside every beta release.
5. Live by the numbers, Apple remains high in general customer satisfaction, but that will change over time.
6. They need to kill products and services

Finally, does anybody see a stop to this? watch bands first, bugs first.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Apple replaced my iPad because of the problem but its still doing it after a clean install. Mine will lose 10 - 15% overnight with nothing running!
I know it's not related to the bricking issue but why would you leave the ipad on overnight? With phones I can see the point of leaving them on standby but why do the same with a tablet. I guess some people may use the alarm feature to wake them in the morning but you can buy a digital alarm clock for less than £10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.