Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Because the monkey in the White House says so... I’ve asked multiple times in other threads and no one was able to provide forensic evidence. The reality is, it isn’t. They collect data, similar to what Facebook, Google and others do. I’ve posted in another thread what data TikTok is collecting. Difference is, no access for the US and that’s why they want it gone. And after all, it’s China, so it must be evil...

LinkedIn collects and sells very sensitive personal info. No one bats an eye because the NSA can do surveillance on that company's data.

But TikTok, well you better be careful about all that sensitive info. LOL.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
can't blame em. As a major iMessage user I can't imagine having to give it up and be stuck with some android SMS crap... as it is I hate messaging android people cus photos and things always get stuck over cellular and they can't use stickers

• Haha
Reactions: Expos of 1969

burgerrecords

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2020
So they are significantly disadvantaged now

if this plays out, that wechat is pulled from android store, those tables turn pretty quickly and even if Samsung then shares the misery with Apple, the communications world doesn’t otherwise grind to halt in China, they just adapt to a pretty low compromise platform.

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
if this plays out, that wechat is pulled from android store, those tables turn pretty quickly and even if Samsung then shares the misery with Apple, the communications world doesn’t otherwise grind to halt in China, they just adapt to a pretty low compromise platform.

Idk how WeChat ban could apply to Samsung internationally. They are a Korean company. Unless threats of embargo on their phone sales in the US is used to compel them

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Because the monkey in the White House says so... I’ve asked multiple times in other threads and no one was able to provide forensic evidence. The reality is, it isn’t. They collect data, similar to what Facebook, Google and others do. I’ve posted in another thread what data TikTok is collecting. Difference is, no access for the US and that’s why they want it gone. And after all, it’s China, so it must be evil...
China(Chinese government) is EVIL. Please do get informed. Because no one can easily find out(forensic evidence) how,where and what ways Chinese goverment agencies collecting user Data from inside access for whatever evil purpose, doesn't mean it is not happening.
Because the murderer is smart,careful to hide the dead body and not found by police does not mean he/she was not murdered and murderer is not guilty.

Last edited:

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Trump is so anti competitive- he does realize the US still dominates China in terms of intellectual property?

Simple example for perspective on it: Windows, Mac OS, Android and iOS are on 99% of all consumer computers and phones. Apple, Google, Microsoft, AMD, Intel, Nvidia and Qualcomm are all American companies... What does China have? Besides a few semiconductor suppliers and manufacturers.. Nothing!

So to have a petty fight over an App is ridiculous.. We’re talking about TikTok which I’m pretty sure doesn’t have ads or a way to make revenue and WeChat which isn’t making a ton of cash compared to all the major companies in the US.. So what’s the point? Why not target something a little more painful directly at China then Apps both Chinese and Americans consumers use?
Don’t underestimate the manufacturing process.
Without these other countries the companies you named worth nothing. Sorry, but americans do not have the manpower, endurance, reliability, flexibility to build these masses of devices in the USA, the only thing they can do is automate, which won’t lead to more jobs. USA citizens worth nothing to these companies, and people keep defending them like if they did something good to them, its all pure business. If it worth moving their HQs out of USA, they will do, simple. Their capital/money are already distributed around the world for a good reason, it does not even worth to bring it back to the USA, it’s too dangerous as you see. Yes these are american companies, but a lot of engineering came also from non-americans. USA needs to be careful, its easy to drive into a road without return, the economy does not forgive.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
95% of Chinese Users Surveyed Would Rather Give Up Their iPhones Than Lose WeChat

And it is guaranteed that no Chinese person will buy a new iPhone at the moment,
because they absolutely need this app. Sales at Apple will have nightmares!
It could be a disaster for APPL in the next quarterly report, caused by a single American!

Last edited:
Reactions: prndrgst88888888

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Nope. That wouldn't be very good. Imagine that China will now actually develop its own OS. Of course they can. And Windows dies and macOS loses as well. That would hardly be a step into a better world.
But I agree with you. The current political stupidities accelerate such developments massively.
Well, I’m surely not for a full boycott, but for alternatives and general more political resistance, instead of climbing up their asses.

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Maybe this wakes up the rest of world, so they strive to become more independent from USA.
It’s about time...
In long run, there is lot to loose from China than USA. Americans can rise to challenge it's goverment, it's companies, etc but can you expect the same Chinese side ? America has some conscious of right vs wrong, but Chine has none. Choose your side wisely!

• Haha
Reactions: JPack

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Well, I’m surely not for a full boycott, but for alternatives and general more political resistance, instead of climbing up their asses.
Who should be able to develop alternatives? Europe, India, Russia, Greenland or China?! There will only be one country that can and wants to do so. Be realistic instead of climbing up to utopia.
There are too many prophets in the palaces these days. The world needs science and reason again.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MultiMan

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
This could be hurting Apple, also, if WeChat is not banned this round, for the future, it will give Chinese government ideas on how to bring down Apple or any western technology companies.
Not sure what you’re saying. In what way does to help to bring down Apple or any other tech company?

November will indeed be interesting...
Yes it will, I’m still not convinced he’ll be voted out. He and his master Putin probably still have a few tricks up their sleeves. From one dictator to another.

China(Chinese government) is EVIL. Please do get informed. Because no one can easily find out(forensic evidence) how,where and what ways Chinese goverment agencies collecting user Data from inside access for whatever evil purpose, doesn't mean it is not happening.
Thank you, I’m very well informed. I’ve done business with companies and governments in over 70 countries on this planet before I started teaching and doing research at universities and research centers. The Chinese government is just as evil as the Russian or US government, no surprise there. Have you forgotten the not so random random-number generator in Cisco systems that the NSA used to get easier access to various systems (governments, companies and private) all around the world?

No one says it’s easy to find out. It requires reverse engineering and a few people skilled enough to do it. Our cyber security research group is just down the hall from my group and they’re among the best in the world. So if you know something others don’t, feel free to shoot away and I’ll forward it. I guess I could also say, just because you can’t see pink elephants flying around and singing Kumbaya, doesn’t mean they’re not there. Security experts actually have a pretty good idea of what’s collected. I’d worry much more about Google and Facebook when it comes to collecting data selling the data to anyone out there with enough money.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
All I’m going to say is that I can’t wait until January 20th at noon.
I'm concerned that something terrible is going to happen again on January 20th at noon. Trump is now talking about defunding the USPS to prevent mail-in ballots.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Who should be able to develop alternatives? Europe, India, Russia, Greenland or China?! There will only be one country that can and wants to do so. Be realistic instead of climbing up to utopia.
Europe for sure, if they wanted to, but they are somehow not after it at the moment, they are enjoying the comfort of consuming externally engineered stuff.
Anyway, a lot of hardware and software comes from Europe, just none in the consumer OS field, which doesn’t mean that they are unable to build it. It’s just a matter of time till they get $*&@! off. Time flies, things changes quickly, companies comes and goes. I doubt Apple will play a big role in the future, give it more 50, 100, 150 years.

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Theres no need for Apple to ban it in China but rather the US as it could pose a security risk is what seems to be the reasoning behind this.

No need for WeChat to exist if China didn't ban just about every major service out there like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram.....most the internet as a whole.......etc etc etc etc.

This wouldn't even be a discussion if it wasn't a corrupt communist run country. But ya know...facts.

Dont mess with peoples apps, meanwhile China is literally committing mass genocide with the Uyghurs in actual concentration camps. BUT DONT TAKE MY APP AWAY!!!!!

China has upended the ENTIRE WORLD and people are bickering about petty things like apps. Where is the outrage over their communism, their concentration camps, giving us the gift of COVID????

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Yes it will, I’m still not convinced he’ll be voted out. He and his master Putin probably still have a few tricks up their sleeves. From one dictator to another.

Oh, I’m not at all taking it for granted that Trump will lose. That’s why all I say is that it will be interested. I’m Canadian. The whole world is watching the USA and hoping for the best...

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
America has some conscious of right vs wrong, but Chine has none. Choose your side wisely!
Conscious of right vs wrong? Outdated, but M’Kay...
512AyyrcOrL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: Jeeg and Wildkraut

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Oh, I’m not at all taking it for granted that Trump will lose. That’s why all I say is that it will be interested. I’m Canadian. The whole world is watching the USA and hoping for the best...
I suspect that many Republicans assume that Trump is doing serious damage to their land and party. The Lincoln Project is a good example of that.
And maybe this time even Republicans will actually vote for the Dems to help their party heal.

Last edited:

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
The whole world is watching the USA and hoping for the best...
While the whole world is watching, I think few really care anymore. For the whole world, the US is a country full of idiots run by the biggest moron in history. It’s sad, there used to be a time when people looked up to the US (not for everything, but for some things), now all they do is laugh.

And congrats on being Canadian. I’m in Vancouver/Whistler two to three times a year, have some friends there. Always very enjoyable. Thinking about permanently relocating there.

Reactions: joeblow7777

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Because the murderer is smart,careful to hide the dead body and not found by police does not mean he/she was not murdered and murderer is not guilty.
What I also see is that the US is at 1960's-levels of civil unrest, due in no small part by it's MAGA government, not to mention all the historical events that led there.

So I wouldn't be throwing stones in glass houses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.