Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Update: As Ars readers have pointed out, Apple's support documentation states that the iOS KRACK fix is available for iPhone 7 and later, and for the early 2016, 9.7-inch iPad Pro and later. That could leave many iOS devices still exposed.
The old ATV 4 also apparently remains unpatched. For the Watch it's the other way around: only series 1 and 2 get the patch, the latest series 3 apparently doesn't. Very strange. This needs some clarification from Apple.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Those are just basic things that get updated, like there are security fixes, and realistically those come from the Unicode Consortium, so any "issues" with that would really be for them.

Even for those who enjoy Emojis, it seems they are putting in way too many, so you have to search endlessly.

Apple's implementation isn't great since the scrolling isn't limited to that section, and the "Recently Used" is different depending on where you are (ie. in Messages.app vs using quick reply), and no way to pin favorites.

They should also consider grouping similar Emojis to reduce the endless list of them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even for those who enjoy Emojis, it seems they are putting in way too many, so you have to search endlessly.

Apple's implementation isn't great since the scrolling isn't limited to that section, and the "Recently Used" is different depending on where you are (ie. in Messages.app vs using quick reply), and no way to pin favorites.

They should also consider grouping similar Emojis to reduce the endless list of them.
Not that's actual meaningful feedback that hopefully can be sent to Apple so that hopefully it's seen and given some consideration.

Reactions: Shark5150

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
I’m on iPhone 6 and version 11.03 was pretty solid for me, but so far 11.1 seems to have better performance. Battery seems to be draining at a slower pace while browsing Safari. Gmail App opens a lot faster than before.

Reactions: eastmanweb

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
So sad, when the first think Apple lists on the update are new emoji’s. Who cares?? Should be a lot of better updates than emojis! What the world has come too.

Reactions: cableguy84

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Still no apple pay on messages or messages in iCloud. The only two features I wanted. Apple is ****ing up so much this year.

The iCloud messages is huge, and I'm pretty disappointed by them being late. However, I will be a LOT more disappointed if it doesn't work right. From my experience, I know this is a VERY difficult problem, so I'm more concerned with them doing this right.

Reactions: redfirebird08

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
The lock screen lag is completely gone. I can now unlock my 7 Plus without having to press the home button multiple times.

And once the battery hit about 45% it got sluggish again. Guess that's not fixed. :(

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Based on that (I could not visit the reddit link, it's blocked by my office network politics), isn't it possible that the vulnerability itself was only present in the WPA2 implementation in iOS specific versions for the mentioned models, and not for the rest of them? Thus the specific mention of those models?

So, in iOS 11.1, the "correct" (and patched) implementation is distributed to all releases?

I hope what I wrote makes sense..
Yep apparently in the older devices iOS WPA2 implementation was not correctly done and as a side benefit are not vulnerable to KRACK. According to Steve Gibson of Security Now, iOS was not vulnerable to KRACK because they misimplemented the WPA2 specification. My guess is iP7 and up is when WPA2 was fixed and therefore now those devices need the patch! Perhaps Apple will relay this information soon to clear it up for all. That could mean the non iOS11 compatible devices are all fine as well.

realjerk

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
As am I. I do not want 11... but I do want the KRACK fix. Why can't Apple release the fix as a stand-alone for older versions of iOS? They did it for Sierra and even El Cap without forcing an upgrade to HS.

As has been said everywhere, KRACK is not really a problem for recent iOS versions.

But there are many other critical security fixes in iOS 11 and 11.1. Staying on iOS 10 and worrying about KRACK is really irrational, even if you were vulnerable to KRACK.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Peoples problem with Apple listing Emoji first - it’s purely a marketing thing. It’s not either they fix the OS OR add emojis. They need hardly any, if any, resources to add Emoji whereas they have plenty of people working on building and fixing the OS. The marketing department just know people (not us on this forum) will generally be more attracted to Emoji news than bug fix lists.

And the OS is running very nicely. It’s only been a month or so but it’s nice to have a useable phone again!

Reactions: rugmankc

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
As am I. I do not want 11... but I do want the KRACK fix. Why can't Apple release the fix as a stand-alone for older versions of iOS? They did it for Sierra and even El Cap without forcing an upgrade to HS.
It seems perhaps only the iP7 and up are affected. Several posts here with more info.

As has been said everywhere, KRACK is not really a problem for recent iOS versions.

But there are many other critical security fixes in iOS 11 and 11.1. Staying on iOS 10 and worrying about KRACK is really irrational, even if you were vulnerable to KRACK.
Not sure you are saying that correctly. Older devices may not be vulnerable due to the WPA2 implementation in their wifi chips but newer devices are and the only iOS version that is patched for newer devices that are vulnerable is 11.1. So iP7 and and up according to the Apple security document.

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
All I wanted for Christmas was to get rid of those janky ass animations on a 1st gen iPad Pro... and Apple delivered! Thankyou!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Peoples problem with Apple listing Emoji first - it’s purely a marketing thing. It’s not either they fix the OS OR add emojis. They need hardly any, if any, resources to add Emoji whereas they have plenty of people working on building and fixing the OS. The marketing department just know people (not us on this forum) will generally be more attracted to Emoji news than bug fix lists.

And the OS is running very nicely. It’s only been a month or so but it’s nice to have a useable phone again!
It's not really Apple's problem as mich as it seems to be some sort of a perceived/imagined problem for some people it would seem.

Reactions: rugmankc

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
First when I installed this on my iPad Pro 10.5 it did not install properly..kept on boot looping..pain in the rear to get back into DFU mode and do it again, once I installed it again it seems to be working fine

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Interesting you may be onto something. I suspect you were kidding but.......... See last comment here. Perhaps only iP7 and up are not "faulty" as far as the spec goes thus requires the patch.
Comments, continued...
tsdguy 0 points 12 days ago

iOS is not actually vulnerable to the major aspect of KRACK - rebroadcast of key since iOS's WPA2 implementation is faulty compared to the vulnerable official implementation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/777qk2/has_apple_released_a_patch_for_the_krack_hack/

Yeah, thanks for posting this. In Section 3.2 of the Vanhoef/Piessens paper, they have a table for a variety of OSes, iOS represented by v. 10.3.1. That version is only susceptible to the Group Key attack, which per sections 4 and 6.1, allows an attacker to replay broadcast and multicast frames sent from AP to client, and that's all it can do.

You could well be right that iPhone 7 is the first one susceptible to the more dangerous attacks that allow decryption and forging. Would love to get a statement from Apple to that effect.

eastpointvet

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
i haven't seen this mentioned but who else is having a problem with the letter "i" ? if its capital then it doesn't show up as the letter but a funny combination but if its clicked in the suggested words it will insert an i. Its very weird but ive had about 4 people mention the same error but i haven't seen it talked about online anywhere and how to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.