Apple Releases iOS 11.1 With New Emoji, 3D Touch App Switcher, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Ribitsch macrumors member

and the switcher is much smoother, easier to trigger :)

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

For a small size release, (312MB) it sure took a long time to install.

4. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

My 6 is running much faster....Nice while I wait for the X to arrive next week.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

The old ATV 4 also apparently remains unpatched. For the Watch it's the other way around: only series 1 and 2 get the patch, the latest series 3 apparently doesn't. Very strange. This needs some clarification from Apple.

6. Altis macrumors 68030

Even for those who enjoy Emojis, it seems they are putting in way too many, so you have to search endlessly.

Apple's implementation isn't great since the scrolling isn't limited to that section, and the "Recently Used" is different depending on where you are (ie. in Messages.app vs using quick reply), and no way to pin favorites.

They should also consider grouping similar Emojis to reduce the endless list of them.

7. paulchat55 macrumors newbie

My iPad Pro has 15B101 and my iPhone 8 plus and older iPad's have 15B93

8. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Not that's actual meaningful feedback that hopefully can be sent to Apple so that hopefully it's seen and given some consideration.

9. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

Guess that explains why there’s no update showing for me since I’m already on beta 5

10. redfirebird08 macrumors 6502

redfirebird08

I’m on iPhone 6 and version 11.03 was pretty solid for me, but so far 11.1 seems to have better performance. Battery seems to be draining at a slower pace while browsing Safari. Gmail App opens a lot faster than before.

11. GDF macrumors 6502

So sad, when the first think Apple lists on the update are new emoji’s. Who cares?? Should be a lot of better updates than emojis! What the world has come too.

12. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

The iCloud messages is huge, and I'm pretty disappointed by them being late. However, I will be a LOT more disappointed if it doesn't work right. From my experience, I know this is a VERY difficult problem, so I'm more concerned with them doing this right.

13. Morac macrumors 65816

Morac

And once the battery hit about 45% it got sluggish again. Guess that's not fixed. :(

14. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

iPhone 7 with iOS 11.1 and it’s a night and day difference.

15. cola79 macrumors 6502

Does the battery percentage still drop faster than the pants of harvey weinstein?

16. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Yep apparently in the older devices iOS WPA2 implementation was not correctly done and as a side benefit are not vulnerable to KRACK. According to Steve Gibson of Security Now, iOS was not vulnerable to KRACK because they misimplemented the WPA2 specification. My guess is iP7 and up is when WPA2 was fixed and therefore now those devices need the patch! Perhaps Apple will relay this information soon to clear it up for all. That could mean the non iOS11 compatible devices are all fine as well.

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Between what? And in what way?

18. realjerk macrumors newbie

As has been said everywhere, KRACK is not really a problem for recent iOS versions.

But there are many other critical security fixes in iOS 11 and 11.1. Staying on iOS 10 and worrying about KRACK is really irrational, even if you were vulnerable to KRACK.

19. skillwill macrumors 6502

Peoples problem with Apple listing Emoji first - it’s purely a marketing thing. It’s not either they fix the OS OR add emojis. They need hardly any, if any, resources to add Emoji whereas they have plenty of people working on building and fixing the OS. The marketing department just know people (not us on this forum) will generally be more attracted to Emoji news than bug fix lists.

And the OS is running very nicely. It’s only been a month or so but it’s nice to have a useable phone again!

20. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

It seems perhaps only the iP7 and up are affected. Several posts here with more info.

Not sure you are saying that correctly. Older devices may not be vulnerable due to the WPA2 implementation in their wifi chips but newer devices are and the only iOS version that is patched for newer devices that are vulnerable is 11.1. So iP7 and and up according to the Apple security document.

21. R10k macrumors member

All I wanted for Christmas was to get rid of those janky ass animations on a 1st gen iPad Pro... and Apple delivered! Thankyou!

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's not really Apple's problem as mich as it seems to be some sort of a perceived/imagined problem for some people it would seem.

23. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502a

First when I installed this on my iPad Pro 10.5 it did not install properly..kept on boot looping..pain in the rear to get back into DFU mode and do it again, once I installed it again it seems to be working fine

24. jon3543 macrumors 6502

Yeah, thanks for posting this. In Section 3.2 of the Vanhoef/Piessens paper, they have a table for a variety of OSes, iOS represented by v. 10.3.1. That version is only susceptible to the Group Key attack, which per sections 4 and 6.1, allows an attacker to replay broadcast and multicast frames sent from AP to client, and that's all it can do.

You could well be right that iPhone 7 is the first one susceptible to the more dangerous attacks that allow decryption and forging. Would love to get a statement from Apple to that effect.

25. eastpointvet macrumors newbie

i haven't seen this mentioned but who else is having a problem with the letter "i" ? if its capital then it doesn't show up as the letter but a funny combination but if its clicked in the suggested words it will insert an i. Its very weird but ive had about 4 people mention the same error but i haven't seen it talked about online anywhere and how to fix it.