Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
As somebody who held off buying a 16" intel as soon as I heard the rumors about AS, I was all aboard the AS train. There was no way I was going to buy an intel machine when Apple was coming out with new kit.

Then WWDC happened in June and they officially introed AS. It seemed impressive and the graph they showed hinted at the fact that laptops were going to be far less hot, efficient and with long battery life. It got me really excited for what they were going to intro.

Then I saw that interview with Craig F from about 6 weeks ago (???) and the way he spoke about AS made me realise that they were super confident. You could see it in his face and the very slight hints he gave away.

Then we got the Keynote and it was way better than we expected. The claims seemed crazy, but if you know Apple, they rarely, if ever, exaggerate their claims. Often it's the opposite. Especially when they know they got the ace in their sleeve. They also don't like to give away too much information. Some people started to question the legitimacy of those claims, but this was typical Old School Apple at work.

Then the machines arrived and we got to see all the reviews. WOW. I don't think it's an understatement to say that this is possibly the biggest step forward for personal computers in a very, very long time. These machines for the vast majority of users are incredible. Of course they aren't for high level users. Those will come later.

Now we have people questioning whether Apple can produce the same results with the higher end kit. Don't be foolish. This is Old School Apple we are dealing with it seems. Craigh F is extremely confident in the future releases. Here is why I believe him...

This is from Ars Technica: "Unfortunately, Apple doesn't tend to talk about upcoming products in any helpful detail, so that remains a question mark for doubters. "We set out with M1 as the first in a series of chips, and we designed it to solve this problem," Federighi told us. "And I suggest that your readers judge us by: Apple put their mind to solving that problem, how did that work out?""

That last line says it all to me. It makes me believe that we are going to be blown away (again) next year. So to any doubters out there -- Get yer tickets and get on the train!

Reactions: KPOM and Boil

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Definitely on the Hype Train, have been an Apple fan since the Apple ][ days...

My avatar (minus the white circular background) is tattooed on my right calf, the text is "Mackido", which loosely translates to "The Power of the Mac Way"...

Yeah, I'm a geek...

Looking forward to what the (smaller) ASi Mac Pro brings...

But would really, Really, REALLY love to see Apple make a lower cost variant of the above, the mythical xMac...

Suxamethonium

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Definitely on the Hype Train, have been an Apple fan since the Apple ][ days...

My avatar (minus the white circular background) is tattooed on my right calf, the text is "Mackido", which loosely translates to "The Power of the Mac Way"...

Yeah, I'm a geek...

Looking forward to what the (smaller) ASi Mac Pro brings...

But would really, Really, REALLY love to see Apple make a lower cost variant of the above, the mythical xMac...
Yeah I would love to see them make this mythical xMac, perhaps now that there would be less danger of them opening to door to PC clones given they control their own silicon we might see the day.

I am all in on the Apple Silicon hype, but in my experience the hype has been very real. Have gone from a 2017 15" MBP with an i7 to a M1 MBA (with 512GB of storage and the 8 graphics cores enabled) and the experience is so much better. Even factoring in the need for emulation through Rosetta 2 for some apps everything about the setup has been better. I will eventually hand this Mac to my wife to replace her 2020 i5 MBA when the more powerful MBP variants arrive and I pick up one of those.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I am all in on the Apple Silicon hype, but in my experience the hype has been very real. Have gone from a 2017 15" MBP with an i7 to a M1 MBA (with 512GB of storage and the 8 graphics cores enabled) and the experience is so much better. Even factoring in the need for emulation through Rosetta 2 for some apps everything about the setup has been better. I will eventually hand this Mac to my wife to replace her 2020 i5 MBA when the more powerful MBP variants arrive and I pick up one of those.
I've ordered a MBA 7C 8GR 1TBHD to tide me over until the 16 comes out and will then do as you and give the Air to the wife. She's excited to get her very first "own" computer at some point in the next 12 months!

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yes, Apple really surprised me here and have rekindled my excitement with the M1 machines. Bought an M1 16gb / 1 TB MBA as a stopgap between my aging 2013 27” iMac and a next gen M chip Mac.

Love the MBA. It’s been great. Am curious to see how much I can push it creatively.

Very happy that Apple are deep diving back into the Mac.

Reactions: smoking monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.