Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
It'seems very possible apple caved in their demands to take cut out of every amazon sale. Everybody seems to think amazon, Vudu and whoever should get their movie app on the apple TV but seriously name all these devices not made by Apple that apple puts their movie app (Itunes) on? A person is better off today if they are not already stuck in iTunes and use a roku that not only does 4K but also is the one box to rule them all, if your not stuck in itunes.

Seriously??? Caved???
Are you telling me that if Apple did reject Amazon when they download the ATV SDK and made an App. That Amazon would not use that fact to beat Apple over the head each chance it got while promoting their own streamer???

Also even with the older ATVs no one was "stuck" in iTunes. Only if you are so impatient you could not wait for a movie/tv show to hit Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Showtime etc. I have personally done just this.

You do NOT have to buy from iTunes.
You have no idea what was going on between the lawyers, so take a pill.

There is no doubt blame to go around. Apps for the major content providers involve lawyers and a contract. It's not some basement dweller with nothing to do submitting a fart counting app for approval.

The only place where lawyers would come in would be between Amazon and the content owners.

Reactions: jettredmont

tafan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Seriously??? Caved???
Are you telling me that if Apple did reject Amazon when they download the ATV SDK and made an App. That Amazon would not use that fact to beat Apple over the head each chance it got while promoting their own streamer???

Also even with the older ATVs no one was "stuck" in iTunes. Only if you are so impatient you could not wait for a movie/tv show to hit Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Showtime etc. I have personally done just this.

You do NOT have to buy from iTunes.

Seriously, the new trend is building a digital movie library. Where on the apple TV can you purchase movies besides itunes....maybe i'm missing something? Example....on the roku you can purchase movies from many store fronts.....vudu, amazon, mgo, Google play, flixster, cinemanow, .......apple has never allowed competition on the apple tv....will they now.....maybe but I wouldn't hold my breath.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Use the Siri button to guide you. It's the only concave button on the remote, so if your thumb dips into it and it's on the left hand side, you know it's correctly orientated.
Good tip, I'll try it. I still like the old remote better just because the buttons were all clustered more on one end whereas the new one they're all pretty much in the center, making it hard to quickly feel which way is up. And of course with the old one it was hard to accidentally trigger anything.

On the new remote, I do really like the non line of sight operation and the CEC integration for power and volume (although I wish it didn't automatically switch my TV's input back to the ATV when I use the volume buttons).

Hopefully Amazon and/or Apple will integrate Prime into the ATV's global search.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Good tip, I'll try it. I still like the old remote better just because the buttons were all clustered more on one end whereas the new one they're all pretty much in the center, making it hard to quickly feel which way is up. And of course with the old one it was hard to accidentally trigger anything.

On the new remote, I do really like the non line of sight operation and the CEC integration for power and volume (although I wish it didn't automatically switch my TV's input back to the ATV when I use the volume buttons).

Hopefully Amazon and/or Apple will integrate Prime into the ATV's global search.

It does take a little bit of time to get fully accustomed to the new remote I think. I've been using mine for a couple of months now and it's become second nature. I find myself wishing my Harmony was a bit more like it, albeit that's totally impractical.

If the rumours of Amazon coming to the Apple TV pan out I'd be pretty shocked if they didn't get added to the universal search. Of course that's as much Amazons decision as Apples so you never know.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
From my understanding there is enough blame on both sides. One if the issues I've heard is that Amazon wanted to be able to sell content and not just be a player. However Apple wasn't budging from their 30% take which would make Amazon uncompetitive (and IMO is outrageous). So it will be interesting when the app comes out if it is just going to be a "player" or you will be able to purchase content through it as well and what the prices are vs what it is through other Amazon sources (Roku, Amazon's Fire TV products, the web etc.)

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
This is great news. I just bought an Amazon Fire TV so my wife and I could watch "The Man in the High Castle". Maybe I can return my Fire TV now.

Are you into iTunes? If not, then why the ATV? Btw, that show was absolutely worth the watch.

As for me, I have another streaming device and waiting for Amazon Prime to come to it. Seems not just Amazon vs Apple but also both vs Google. Gotta love the "love" they all feel for the consumer.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Seriously, the new trend is building a digital movie library. Where on the apple TV can you purchase movies besides itunes....maybe i'm missing something? Example....on the roku you can purchase movies from many store fronts.....vudu, amazon, mgo, Google play, flixster, cinemanow, .......apple has never allowed competition on the apple tv....will they now.....maybe but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Roku doesn't have a store. Apple, Amazon, Vudu, Flixter, Google do. If you want to sell your stuff in their stores, you will have to pay them a percentage. That is a business practice that has been going on since people have been asking others to sell their wares for them.

Reactions: jettredmont

tafan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Roku doesn't have a store. Apple, Amazon, Vudu, Flixter, Google do. If you want to sell your stuff in their stores, you will have to pay them a percentage. That is a business practice that has been going on since people have been asking others to sell their wares for them.
As I understand it roku doesn'the take a cut from the storefronts. Roku is completely open, something I think people think the apple tv is going to be now. If we see another store you can rent and purchase from...in app on the apple tv, that would be a start.

tafan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
It is interesting that itunes is the only missing storefront on roku? Wonder why they are the only one.

Reactions: 2010mini

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
As I understand it roku doesn'the take a cut from the storefronts. Roku is completely open, something I think people think the apple tv is going to be now. If we see another store you can rent and purchase from...in app on the apple tv, that would be a start.

I would not expect Apple nor Google, Amazon etc to offer another store WITHIN their own without getting a percentage from them. Amazon can offer in-app purchases.... It just has to pay Apple a percentage like Netflix, Hulu and others do.

Or Amazon has the freedom NOT to pay Apple a percentage and tell their customers to go to a PC and buy content they want.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014

Correct. Roku is just hardware. They are also delving into software in devices like BD players and Smart TVs.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
From my understanding there is enough blame on both sides. One if the issues I've heard is that Amazon wanted to be able to sell content and not just be a player. However Apple wasn't budging from their 30% take which would make Amazon uncompetitive (and IMO is outrageous). So it will be interesting when the app comes out if it is just going to be a "player" or you will be able to purchase content through it as well and what the prices are vs what it is through other Amazon sources (Roku, Amazon's Fire TV products, the web etc.)

My money is on a player, which is fine. Hopefully it is searchable so you don't have to back out of an app to get to it. Their file format is lossy, at least for now, and we have prime for shipping so it's really just a bonus to have it and getting more bang for the buck out of Prime. Vudu is more important for access to UV content that we obtained over the years from digital copies.

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
I ditched Prime. The bottom line is that I use it to get things sent to me on time, and Amazon is no longer capable of doing that. Their video offerings are sub-par anyway.

Maybe for you. I get EVERYTHING I order from prime shipped to me on time. Most items arrive a day early. Amazon is more than capable of shipping on time. Must be a you problem.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
I ditched Prime. The bottom line is that I use it to get things sent to me on time, and Amazon is no longer capable of doing that. Their video offerings are sub-par anyway.

This is totally inconsistent with our experience. We get most items in a day, two at most. Even when I ship things to my in-laws its two days to a town of 2500. Every time.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

tafan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
I would not expect Apple nor Google, Amazon etc to offer another store WITHIN their own without getting a percentage from them. Amazon can offer in-app purchases.... It just has to pay Apple a percentage like Netflix, Hulu and others do.

Or Amazon has the freedom NOT to pay Apple a percentage and tell their customers to go to a PC and buy content they want.

And this......will sell TONS of Rokus

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
And this......will sell TONS of Rokus

Except it hasn't been proven to make Roku more profitable than any other company in this market.

Roku actually makes its money from ads. They take a percentage of any channel's ad revenue. (Always wondered why they have so many crap channels....)

They will do things like rent out its landing screen to one company for an entire day. Or rent out prominent placement on their remote.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
If you think Amazon submits an app to another company without lawyers first negotiating who gets what, when, where and how, then you have no idea how this works.

Yes they do. But they don't have to negotiate with Apple IF they will NOT be offering in-app purchases. They will have to negotiate with the content owners as I have stated before.

I know this doesn't fit into your perception that Apple is always to blame. And I am sorry I can't feed your conspiracy theory.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Yes they do. But they don't have to negotiate with Apple IF they will NOT be offering in-app purchases. They will have to negotiate with the content owners as I have stated before.

I know this doesn't fit into your perception that Apple is always to blame. And I am sorry I can't feed your conspiracy theory.

Oye. Facepalm. I don't even know where to start when I see nonsense like this. Welcome to the ignore list.

Further, this "news" is from a customer service rep and could be total hockey puck:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/28/amazon-video-apple-tv/

Amazon Video has never been available on Apple TV, so the company’s tvOS app will certainly be welcomed by customers. While it’s always possible that the specific customer service rep who responded to Bostonweeks’ claim was misinformed, it seems more than likely that we’ll see the app sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

tafan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Except it hasn't been proven to make Roku more profitable than any other company in this market.

Roku actually makes its money from ads. They take a percentage of any channel's ad revenue. (Always wondered why they have so many crap channels....)

They will do things like rent out its landing screen to one company for an entire day. Or rent out prominent placement on their remote.

Fair enough but, as a consumer looking for a streamer with the most content, why should I care if Roku makes less profit?

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Well, they're not really keeping Prime Video off of ATVs given airplay so they might as well just put the app out. I'd wager a good % of people who own an ATV also own an iOS device so the easy work around is there. It's obviously not as ideal as a dedicated ATV app but it saves you from buying a Fire TV solely to stream Prime Video.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
As I understand it roku doesn'the take a cut from the storefronts. Roku is completely open

IF you program in brightscript and want your entire storefront in plaintext for the world to see and ignore the Roku advertising network then it's "open". If you want to do any real programming, want to run a real protected storefront, or a lot of other things you have to have a private agreement with Roku and the terms are probably not $0 cost.

I have a Roku and was very disappointed when they reneged on opening the SDK to developers. The hardware seems nice enough but the platform really sucks. I'm not jumping on the aTV wagon yet, I'm waiting to see how it develops. That $200+ dollars is going towards a real gaming console this holiday season and the Roku still works like a champ for streaming.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
This is good news if true. AppleTV is definitely rough around the edges, but it's annoying to have to switch between little black boxes attached to my tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.