Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
I have stopped watching the show now, it is boring and emotional now. :confused:

I am close. The show started out as Stephen King made-for-TV-movie level bad. Writing got better for a few seasons after the Governor was gone. The show took a nose dive over the last two seasons. So many W(why)TF moments. Guess I am tired of seeing a build up to supposedly really. bad. guys. who turn out be not scary people at all (Governor, Negan). The Negan character is not intimidating. I can not take him seriously. I kept asking myself why anyone would follow the guy. He is a joke of a man.

Reactions: jbachandouris

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
opposite. ratings are at a all time high plus ratings dont matter to the audience just the tv companies.

Well.. idk, the lower rating articles are all over the web. They say season 3 levels. Im a fan as you said so I don't care about the ratings, I just don't want them to change the show because of it.

Negan Lannister

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
I am close. The show started out as Stephen King made-for-TV-movie level bad. Writing got better for a few seasons after the Governor was gone. The show took a nose dive over the last two seasons. So many W(why)TF moments. Guess I am tired of seeing a build up to supposedly really. bad. guys. who turn out be not scary people at all (Governor, Negan). The Negan character is not intimidating. I can not take him seriously. I kept asking myself why anyone would follow the guy. He is a joke of a man.
Game of Thrones got better after Season 3. The Walking Dead got worse after it. Just recycled stuff where they go from place to place and something happens with another group. LOST was slightly a better show but it was the biggest tease in television. Game of Thrones was a frickin' bore to me until the Red Wedding. By "The Mountain and the Viper" episode, I started to get hooked. I can name 10 great episodes from GoT ranging from...

Battle of the Bastards
Hardhome
The Watchers on the Wall
The Winds of Winter
The Rains of Castamere
The Dance of Dragons
The Mountain and the Viper
The Door
Blackwater
Mother's Mercy

TWD's best episode is Too Far Gone (4x8). They might be maybe 5 memorable episodes from TWD at best. I can't stand most of the characters now. Daryl was the best character and I don't seem to care for him anymore. Merle was the most honest, realistic character but he gets killed by S3. Rick is nuts. Don't care for Carol. Morgan bores me like Bob did. Tyrese replaced T-Dog. Hated Lori. Can't stand Rosita, Sasha, and Eugene. So we are left with Negan, Ezekiel, and maybe Jesus. And it is too late to have sympathy for any of them.

While GoT has Tyrion, Jaime, Jorah (Ser Friend Zone), Jon, Varys, Baelish, Bronn, Dany, Cersei, Drogan, Benjen, Theon, Yara, Brienne, Wun Wun, and so on and so on. They killed off more characters and still has the better lineup. Even Tywin is better than most of TWD's cast. Even the casts from GoT all seem very down-to-earth as Lena Headey is nothing like Cersei. The actors in GoT seem far superior.

I can diss BOTH popular shows easily because melodrama can be parodied and mostly predictable. GoT isn't as good as the novels and only gets good by episode 8-9 for each season. And with 15 episodes left, it looks kinda predicable with white washed characters like Dany and Jon. Alot of people don't like the male frontal nudity and gay scenes.

But to me, TWD jumped the shark by Season 6. They took damn long and used an entire season to mostly resolve what happens in Alexandria. GoT has gotten better and has the deeper cast of misfits. I am not a huge Jon Snow and Sansa Stark fan early on but they got me interested in them again. I also liked Jorah Mormont and believe in his love and devotion to Khaleesi.

I will continue to watch them both though to just finish the story. It is like reading a book where you just want to see the ending. I started with TWD earlier. But I wouldn't rank either shows in my Top 10 favorites. My Top 10 is mostly comedies. Rather binge on silly comedies like I Love Lucy, Gilligan's Island, Married With Children, Family Guy (Season 1-3), Futurama, Silicon Valley, Man Seeking Woman, Angie Tribeca, 30 Rock, Chuck, Martin, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air than watch a 40-50+ minutes episode from LOST, 24, GoT, TWD, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and The Sopranos. Even watching Westworld bored me to tears. I find Seinfeld and Friends as overrated as HBO dramas.

Comedies rule my TV. Serialized dramas lose their suspense after 1-2 viewings. The Walking Dead has great death scenes BUT their writing at best was hardly better than Season 1 of Heroes which was a ripoff of Lost and X-Men.

GoT - Before S3 = 8. After = 9
TWD - Before S4 = 8.5. After = 8

My feelings for both shows is similar to iOS vs Android. It flip flopped. Now I feel iOS is for simpletons (TWD) while Android is deeper like GoT's mythology. The cosplay and merchandising is also more appealing with GoT like Star Wars and Star Trek.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
still not convinced plus forbes is not really a good reference...if you want more action go see a Michael bay film, where there is an explosion every 5 mins...

Forbes is not the only reference for this information. You are not convinced of a fact...

Reactions: jbachandouris

Kevin.Richards

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2016

This was my point. The whisperers seemed more interesting than Negan. He's just using the fear and makes control and follow up episodes are plain simple. Whisperers and the group at the Terminal were far beyond that because they were unexpected. It doesn't hook some people off including me, if the things escalate more than just fear than it would be a different story.
[doublepost=1482993169][/doublepost]

forbes all the way! thanks for the article.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I have no comment about individual appeal or burnout, que sera. But what characteristics are required to scare you? :)

A wall of heads, a turned daughter in the closet, abusing people (like Machon) because he can. The Governor illustrates how normal people can evolve in the post apocalyptic world. And Nagan, is a a charismatic selfish, sociopath, and lethal leader who commits extreme physical atrocities on victims, seemingly enjoys it, to make his point to others that he wiil be served or it's the grave. I often wonder why someone does pull out a gun and shoot him. There seems to be a lot of opportunity, but there seems to be enough people who want a strong charasmatic leader who while under his thumbs, provides them some sense of security.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
I have no comment about individual appeal or burnout, que sera. But what characteristics are required to scare you? :)

A wall of heads, a turned daughter in the closet, abusing people (like Machon) because he can. The Governor illustrates how normal people can evolve in the post apocalyptic world. And Nagan, is a a charismatic selfish, sociopath, and lethal leader who commits extreme physical atrocities on victims, seemingly enjoys it, to make his point to others that he wiil be served or it's the grave. I often wonder why someone does pull out a gun and shoot him. There seems to be a lot of opportunity, but there seems to be enough people who want a strong charasmatic leader who while under his thumbs, provides them some sense of security.

It comes down to the choice of actor, the set direction, and the writing. No amount of heads on a wall can make weak energy fearsome. It's not that A, B, and C happened, it's that there was no feeling behind any of it for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It comes down to the choice of actor, the set direction, and the writing. No amount of heads on a wall can make weak energy fearsome. It's not that A, B, and C happened, it's that there was no feeling behind any of it for me.

Don't sit home all comfy in your family room. Try projecting your self into the situation, helpless while watching a dear friend having his head pulped. My emotions would be extreme, I'd be scared by this guy or at least be cognizant of the danger he represents. :D

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Both myself and the wife are still enjoying the show and look forward to it. I like the fact they are sticking to the comics books a little more now. I am hoping next season will be the start of all out war! I can see it coming! I am very much looking forward to the "Whispers" plot line. I like Negan both in the comics and in the show. He is more of a "I will screw with your mind" type person. He can be brutal at times, but nothing like the original Governer they watered down for the show. If they would have kept the Governer's story line even remotely close to the comics. Wow.

But for now, we enjoy the show and look forward to see what is coming next. I can understand those who no longer like it or who are tired of it. To each their own. Unless something really bad happens, i.e. jumping the shark type moment, which for us hasn't happened yet. We look forward to more episodes.

Reactions: Huntn

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, I've been binge reading the comic series since the holidays. I'm almost current to the latest issue and I've got to say that the original source material and television show are equally addictive. I wasn't sure I wanted to read past where we are in the tv show at present because I didn't want to spoil things for myself, but I couldn't resist. I'm sure Kirkman will take liberties with the show so there will still be surprises.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of watching both versions of the story is trying to figure out why they made the changes they made in the television show. I wonder if Kirkman thinks he's improving the story by making changes or if he's just doing things a little different to give the comic readers something new and exciting?

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So, I've been binge reading the comic series since the holidays. I'm almost current to the latest issue and I've got to say that the original source material and television show are equally addictive. I wasn't sure I wanted to read past where we are in the tv show at present because I didn't want to spoil things for myself, but I couldn't resist. I'm sure Kirkman will take liberties with the show so there will still be surprises.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of watching both versions of the story is trying to figure out why they made the changes they made in the television show. I wonder if Kirkman thinks he's improving the story by making changes or if he's just doing things a little different to give the comic readers something new and exciting?

Hard to say, I think some of it is the reality of the costs involved in a tv show.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I wonder if Rick smiled because he thought he found his army...?

All of these mysterious communities/colonies are certainly play a part in some larger scale faction war...seems the hard part is convincing.

Side note...it would seem The Saviors are given too much credit when it comes to controlling or ruling everything/everyone yet undiscovered thriving communities exist right under their noses and our characters seem to stumble upon them rather easily.
-Alexandria did for a while
-Resettled Beach Women group
-Possibly this new unknown group

Side note #2....
crazy how Morgan is just foreshadowing EVERYTHING like some sort of Prophet. Even in the auditorium, he mentioned singling out Negan, to "capture" him as an alternative...unless there's a plot twist, major comic nod there o_O

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
Ok since i cant see the show due to financial issues, can someone give me spoilers or highlights on what happened tonite, please!

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Great episode. So nice to see the gang back together. Enid is becoming a major player in her own right.

Maybe Rick smiles at the end because he thinks they're someone else?
A lot of people are griping online about the episode not being exciting enough. I liked how they were just setting the stage for things to come. Not every episode can be a full throttle violent melee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.