Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A pair of reports today from Scott Moritz of TheStreet share claims from Northeast Securities analyst Ashok Kumar that Qualcomm has struck a deal with Apple to provide a 3G EV-DO chip for a CDMA-based iPhone scheduled for launch later this year and that Apple has also officially decided against utilizing Intel's Atom platform in its forthcoming tablet device.

In the first report, Kumar claims that Apple had been hoping to land a multi-mode chip such as that being developed by Qualcomm to enable the company to continue offering a single type of iPhone, but that Qualcomm and other vendors have been unable to produce the necessary chips to meet Apple's timeline.

Consequently, Apple has reportedly selected a traditional EV-DO chip from Qualcomm for a new iPhone capable of running on Verizon's network. According to the report, AT&T's exclusivity agreement with Apple for the iPhone in the U.S. expires in June of this year, opening the door for a Verizon iPhone.
Initially, Apple sought a chip that would allow it to sell a world phone, one that was compatible with the two leading wireless technologies -- GSM and CDMA.

But Qualcomm and others failed to deliver. Instead, Apple elected to go with Qualcomm in its Verizon iPhone, which is expected to arrive soon after AT&T's exclusive contract with Apple expires in June.
A vague comment from Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs in mid-November had indicated that the company was in discussions to bring its chips to the iPhone.

In the other report from Moritz, Kumar claims that Apple has chosen not to tap Intel for its Atom platform for use in the company's tablet device expected to be introduced later this month. According to another analyst, Apple has selected a chip from P.A. Semi, which it acquired in early 2008, to power its tablet. The decision means that Apple will spurn Intel's popular Atom platform used in the vast majority of netbooks with which the tablet may be expected to compete.
There has been speculation that Intel's new generation of Atom chips was in the running for the slot, but Apple ultimately chose a processor developed by P A Semi, a chip shop Apple acquired two years ago, according to another analyst familiar with the so-called build plan.
The news should not come as a surprise to many, as numerous reports have pointed to Apple's grooming of P.A. Semi's ARM-based processor designs for use in its tablet project, and even in the iPhone.

Moritz has had a mixed track record in the past, with his correct claim of iPhone 3G subsidies coming in contrast to an incorrect claim of an early 2008 launch of the iPhone 3G, an erroneous report of iPhone production drops, and a claim of a Verizon-subsidized tablet release by the end of 2009.

Article Link: Analyst Claims: Qualcomm 3G Chip Destined for Verizon iPhone, Tablet Based on P.A. Semi Processor

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
If this means a Verizon iPhone, I will be the first to switch. I can't be any more sick of ATT.

Comment

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Yes, finally the wait will be over. To all who say it isn't going to happen. Eat it!

Comment

SwiftLives

Contributor
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I don't buy it.

Apple chose the GSM band for the phone because of the potential for worldwide deployment. Why would they spend R&D on a product that would sell maybe 20% of the total sales of their current phone and only be available on one specific network in one country?

Where else is CDMA used?

I think talk of the iPhone on Verizon's network is wishful thinking. We'll see it on T-Mobile (US) before Verizon.

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
If this means a Verizon iPhone, I will be the first to switch. I can't be any more sick of ATT.

It sounds like you won't necessarily be able to "switch" unless you get a new iPhone with a 3G EV-DO chip.

Hopefully, if not this year, we'll have a multi-mode iPhone by 2011.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I don't buy it.

Apple chose the GSM band for the phone because of the potential for worldwide deployment. Why would they spend R&D on a product that would sell maybe 20% of the total sales of their current phone and only be available on one specific network in one country?

Where else is CDMA used?

I think talk of the iPhone on Verizon's network is wishful thinking. We'll see it on T-Mobile (US) before Verizon.

If most companies offer GSM and CDMA versions of their phones how much do you really think the R&D costs?

I'd say profit > expense in this case. Much greater.

Comment

dynamix1

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
I'm still in that "i'll believe it when i see it" mode, but the rumors are now becoming more of a reality. When it does happen I'll be putting my order in. I believe Apple knows where the money is. With Verizon being the largest carrier sales will be through the roof.

Comment

D 5

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Whaaaa????:eek:

Faints__

FINALLY:D

Thanks for the option Steve

Comment

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
This is all bull crap! There's no way Apple is going near Verizon anytime soon. Most likely T-Mobile.
Apple introduced an iPhone so users can travel the world with it & be satisfied. Along with the talking and browsing for business users. Apple itself said that they're happy with AT&T and they even said it was looking foward to working with AT&T in the future with new products to market over the years to come. And how do I know this? It's on video!! YouTube the macworld keynote of 2007 and watch the 11th video/part of the keynote.
Big, reliable proof!!

To Verizon: karmas a bi**h.

Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Here come all the comments about switching to verizon.

1. You think Verizon isn't going to be more than AT&T? I would be surprised. All you switchers are going to be complaining or not switching I bet

2. While AT&T isn't great, I actually like that it's GSM so when I travel I can use my phone internationally.

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Wow! Six times?!

6 threads on page 1 today? It seems, somebody had a New Year resolution!

Comment

quinney

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
Using a P.A. Semi/ARM design instead of Atom will eliminate the danger of people making hackinslates from their netbooks.

Comment

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
This is all bull crap! There's no way Apple is going near Verizon anytime soon. Most likely T-Mobile.
Apple introduced an iPhone so users can travel the world with it & be satisfied. Along with the talking and browsing for business users. Apple itself said that they're happy with AT&T and they even said it was looking foward to working with AT&T in the future with new products to market over the years to come. And how do I know this? It's on video!! YouTube the macworld keynote of 2007 and watch the 11th video/part of the keynote.
Big, reliable proof!!

I see no reason why Apple wouldn't go with VZW in 2010 - except for price/revenue negotiations which can be overcome.

Why would Apple want to go with VZW over T-Mobile? Simple:

VZW is the largest carrier in the U.S.

More reasons:
- Apple has been "testing" out making iPhone available for multiple carriers in a single market. The result? Even MORE iPhone sales.
- Apple's goal for the iPhone has always been: selling more iPhones. Opening up VZW allows Apple to EASILY and RAPIDLY increase marketshare.
- T-Mobile (altho great Customer Service) has an EVEN WORSE NETWORK THAN AT&T.

Outside sign:
- If the rumor is true that the God Tablet is coming to VZW and AT&T, this to me is a clear sign that iPhone will be comin' to VZW in June/July.

w00master

Comment

oweno

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
buying VZ tmrw, dividend dropped it a few % today. great entry point.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Big, reliable proof!!

All bull crap huh? This sounds like Apple is going to Intel processors version 2.0. Many many Apple fans said it was bull crap and that Apple would NEVER install an x86 processor in a Mac. I think we all know how that turned out.

As far as Apple saying they are very happy with AT&T and look forward to working with them in the future? They are still working with them. I highly doubt the AT&T iPhone is going away. By building a CDMA iPhone they have just opened up to the other half of the US market. I could see this heading to Sprint as well since it will be CDMA.

Maybe the rumors are all wrong and Apple will keep the AT&T exclusive partnership, but remember every Android device sold on a competitors network is a sale that Apple doesn't have access to. If Apple stays with AT&T while Google and it's partners spread the love all around, Apple will end up on the losing end.

Comment

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
All bull crap huh? This sounds like Apple is going to Intel processors version 2.0. Many many Apple fans said it was bull crap and that Apple would NEVER install an x86 processor in a Mac. I think we all know how that turned out.

As far as Apple saying they are very happy with AT&T and look forward to working with them in the future? They are still working with them. I highly doubt the AT&T iPhone is going away. By building a CDMA iPhone they have just opened up to the other half of the US market. I could see this heading to Sprint as well since it will be CDMA.

Maybe the rumors are all wrong and Apple will keep the AT&T exclusive partnership, but remember every Android device sold on a competitors network is a sale that Apple doesn't have access too. If Apple stays with AT&T while Google and it's partners spread the love all around, Apple will end up on the losing end.

Very well said. I'll also add this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/atandt-finally-goes-android-confirms-dell-htc-and-motorola-on-bo/

People are STILL thinkin' that Apple is only going to stay with AT&T? Please... T-Mobile? Give me a break

w00master

Comment

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I see no reason why Apple wouldn't go with VZW in 2010 - except for price/revenue negotiations which can be overcome.

Why would Apple want to go with VZW over T-Mobile? Simple:

VZW is the largest carrier in the U.S.

More reasons:
- Apple has been "testing" out making iPhone available for multiple carriers in a single market. The result? Even MORE iPhone sales.
- Apple's goal for the iPhone has always been: selling more iPhones. Opening up VZW allows Apple to EASILY and RAPIDLY increase marketshare.
- T-Mobile (altho great Customer Service) has an EVEN WORSE NETWORK THAN AT&T.

Outside sign:
- If the rumor is true that the God Tablet is coming to VZW and AT&T, this to me is a clear sign that iPhone will be comin' to VZW in June/July.

w00master

Reasons why T-Mobile would be better:

1. For people who hate AT&T, it's not.
2. No redesign or revision of chipset (other than support new radio waves)
3. No slapped red logo everywhere
4. Talk/Web surf at same time... CDMA technology can't do that no matter what.
5. T-Mobile's empty and ready network.

Also the main fact that Verizon has been dissing on the iPhone for quite a while now, dubbing many of their phones iPhone Killers...

Comment

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I don't buy it.

Where else is CDMA used?

What you, and many others like you can't seem to grasp is that we're talking about rather insignificant changes (for comparisons sake). The iPhone doesn't have to developed from the ground up here, all we're doing here is changing the radio and carrier settings.

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The only "news" here is a CDMA iPhone being imminent. If they mean literally a CDMA iPhone, I have doubts. If they mean a CDMA compatible iSlate, then I think it is nearly certain.

I think it is interesting the comment (which was rumored before) that a "world phone" chip simply does not exist yet. Given Apple has an annual cycle on the iPhone, we can likely expect a "world phone" by mid-2011.

Rocketman

Comment

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Reasons why T-Mobile would be better:

1. For people who hate AT&T, it's not.

No argument there.

2. No redesign or revision of chipset (other than support new radio waves)

Honestly, this is SOO OVERBLOWN. The cost of manufacturing a phone with a different chipset of this nature is VERY minimal. With many of the phone manufacturers (RIM, etc.), they do this all the time.

3. No slapped red logo everywhere

Ummm, they don't do this with ANY of the Android phones. Why would they do this with the iPhone?

4. Talk/Web surf at same time... CDMA technology can't do that no matter what.

So... what? People will still buy it.

Also the main fact that Verizon has been dissing on the iPhone for quite a while now, dubbing many of their phones iPhone Killers...

It's called business. Look at the Intel vs. PowerPC ads... guess what Apple went with Intel in the end. Shocking.. I know.

w00master

Comment

dynamix1

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Well it was a matter of time before the self-proclaimed geniuses and experts chimed in with their "Apple is not doing this and their not doing that". Let it take its course and see what the outcome will be. If your right then your right. Don't be coming around and being the expert on what a company is doing. You don't work there, hell people that work there don't even know half the time what is going on.

Comment

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Honestly, this is SOO OVERBLOWN. The cost of manufacturing a phone with a different chipset of this nature is VERY minimal. With many of the phone manufacturers (RIM, etc.), they do this all the time.

Really? Show me that it is not expensive...

Ummm, they don't do this with ANY of the Android phones. Why would they do this with the iPhone?

They do... see the Droid's side, it has the big red logo slapped.

So... what? People will still buy it.

Really? That is a huge selling point to many people.

It's called business. Look at the Intel vs. PowerPC ads... guess what Apple went with Intel in the end. Shocking.. I know.

w00master

Apple dissed Intel, not the other way around. In the end Apple decided. Here he have Verizon attacking, but in this case, Verizon isn't the one deciding isn't it?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.