Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigonapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
I like how all you have to do is touch the iPad logo and it takes you back to the top of the page.

liamhemsworth

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
Why is this being rated negative????!!!!

is it that Microsoft Stock Holders are so mad at Apple's success...???:confused::p

Please tell me what you're doing is parody to hold a mirror up to the hypocritical faces of fanboys here.

ANYONE who EVER votes an Apple article a negative HAS to be working for Microsoft. Mmm-hmm. I guess in Kool-Aid Land, sure.

But the rest of rather live in the real world where every product has both aspects of praise and criticism. Yes, even your Sainted Apple. :rolleyes:

You better bury your head in the sand, PC World has an article posted online about how imperfect the iPad is as an e-reader. Ohhhhhhhh, no! "Chicken Little, the sky is falling!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

edit: Sorry. I thought I was on the iPad discussion thread (previous thread). Okay, given the purpose of this thread, perhaps the negatives are people who either think not enough sold or sold too many. ;)

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anyway, it's easily to believe as I was in chicago, and the lines were round the block and hundreds of people were in line. To say, it's not possible, is ignorant. :eek:

Wescravn, I'd rather be ignorant, than to base my conclusion on one single sample of one of the bigger Apple Store in the states..

I would like to see hard data, and we will not get that (not from Apple anyway). Gene Munster has repeatedly been proven a clown, whose guesses are only just a bit better researched than your comment, but no more than that.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
"I can't believe the numbers were that high."

Could one of you that is actually paid to analyze these things post your educated guess on why the numbers would be higher or lower than the estimates? I heard speculation last week that anywhere from 300k-500k might be sold, but I'm not including the facts that were used to come up with those numbers, since it really doesn't hold that much fascination for me. As for Apple's ability to have that many manufactured in time....

The device is popular with a lot of people. It shouldn't seem so amazing given the hype and the fact that many NEW customers for Apple may find this to be just what they're after. The fact that some of you don't find it useful as a hardcore tech tool has absofunkinglutely nothing to do with whether Apple will succeed with it, or whether everybody else will find it useful.

The niche market? The folks still complaining about Steve's RDF and the sheep that follow Apple products. You aren't the ones that this device was meant for anyway.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Estimate might be right

On March 12th, pre-orders started. Most of them were for the Wifi units. Last estimate from analysts were 300 to 500k orders. Some people ordered 2. Apple stores, some bestbuys, and some specialty stores are selling them today. Some places are being sold out and some are not. Some bestbuys there were no lines. Why? They are going to the apple stores. Apple stores usually carry more. Onces, apple stores are sold out, people who wanted bad enough will try Bestbuy. So, it's possible that Apple sold about 200k on day 1.

Plus, on 24th, Canada will be selling them too. When I get my 3g unit, other countries will be selling both models, too. So, I can see Apple selling more than 2 million iPad in the month of April.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wescravn, I'd rather be ignorant, than to base my conclusion on one single sample of one of the bigger Apple Store in the states..

I would like to see hard data, and we will not get that (not from Apple anyway). Gene Munster has repeatedly been proven a clown, whose guesses are only just a bit better researched than your comment, but no more than that.

You should have never laid into Wes Craven. How are you going to be able to sleep at night. He can get into your dreams.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
The sales numbers included iPads pre-ordered and delivered, those reserved for in-store pick-up, and those sold today at Apple stores and Best-Buy. The 600 to 700 thousand number is very possible. The next big wave will be those (which includes me) who ordered the 3G/GPS version. One million sold in the first 30 days is not beyond possibility. I looked at one today and was quite impressed, it is just what I want. No more lugging my MBP around. I may now buy an iMac for heavy duty work now that I no longer need a notebook.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
That would be amazing but would really surprise me. My guess is somewhere around the 300,000 range. I have been more than impressed with mu ipad so far though and think once people see it in action it will sell a lot!

Plas00

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Are you serious??

Not that many people knew about Apple until the iPhone was released, now that so many people now see what Apple is the more people who buy their products.

I don't feel the sarcasm in that comment so I can only come to the conclusion that either you have been living in a cave for the past decade or u just have been rescued from a deserted island. Labelling you a retard would be a sure ban so lets hope ur not that far within those lines.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
It is unclear from the report exactly what data Munster based his estimate upon beyond an observation of 730 customers in line at the company's flagship Fifth Avenue location in New York City, up from 350 for the iPhone 3GS launch and 540 for the iPhone 3G.

Though everyone else seems to be reporting much much less lines for Ipad compared to Iphone launches.

Anyway Piper Jeffrey estimates are really not very accurate, they estimated Iphone 3G sales way below accurate, on the other hand they estimated 45m Iphones to be sold in 2009, way above accurate.

Basically they are only guessing, and not very well.

toujames

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I would buy one, when it gets cheaper.
like how the 1st launch of the iPhone was $599, then dropped to $299 the next year, i think it will happen to the iPad. Agree?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

toujames said:
I would buy one, when it gets cheaper.
like how the 1st launch of the iPhone was $599, then dropped to $299 the next year, i think it will happen to the iPad. Agree?

No I do not agree.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
That's a lot of iPads... Well even if it isn't accurate, I'm pretty sure that plenty was sold, enough to say that the iPad is a success :)

Is there some official list somewhere saying in which countries the iPad will be available later? Because the iPhone wasn't available in many countries for more than a year after launch, I wonder if I will have to wait until 2012 to see an iPad.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
I think the number will grow faster, once they hear about 11+ hr battery life, all those cool apps .. I am impressed with the battery life..and wicked fast responses. gui scrolls like butter indeed.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Differences here:
  • The iPhone launched at a super-high price whereas now Apple's learnt their lesson and not done that with the iPad.
  • Everyone knew a 3G enabled one would be the next update so many waited.
  • Finally (more relevant to all iPhones, not just launch ones), people who wanted to move to the iPhone were likely to be tied to contracts so not everyone could just leap at it at launch day, whereas the iPad is a unique device not intended to replace a phone.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Is there some official list somewhere saying in which countries the iPad will be available later? Because the iPhone wasn't available in many countries for more than a year after launch, I wonder if I will have to wait until 2012 to see an iPad.

Just go onto your country's Apple website, and check the front page. Assuming that the iPad is featured on the front page, if the iPad is coming it should say something like "Coming late April.".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.