Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
According to the preliminary report, the Ethiopian pilots carried on repeatedly all emergency procedures recommended by Boeing, clearing them of blame.

Reactions: aarond12

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
According to the preliminary report, the Ethiopian pilots carried on repeatedly all emergency procedures recommended by Boeing, clearing them of blame.
I saw that report also but for some odd reason Bowing stock is climbing as if nothing happened.:eek:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I saw that report also but for some odd reason Bowing stock is climbing as if nothing happened.:eek:

Air travel won't stop because of two crashes and the airlines really like the 737 Max. It can carry a lot of passengers. It has a great range. And it is very fuel efficient.

The cause is known. The fix is known. The liability for the disasters is known. There are no more unknowns. The market can price the liability into the stock price and move forward.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Air travel won't stop because of two crashes and the airlines really like the 737 Max. It can carry a lot of passengers. It has a great range. And it is very fuel efficient.

The cause is known. The fix is known. The liability for the disasters is known. There are no more unknowns. The market can price the liability into the stock price and move forward.
The airlines might like it but the passengers might not anymore (if they actually did before).

The fix is not known. A workaround is proposed, which is not known if it will be accepted.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
At this point, with all of the media coverage of it, and the planes being grounded, I know I won't be flying them anytime soon. My confidence level for this plane is low. Yes, I know any plane can crash, but right now, this one is on the radar and all the flights I have booked, I made sure they were not this plane.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
At this point, with all of the media coverage of it, and the planes being grounded, I know I won't be flying them anytime soon. My confidence level for this plane is low. Yes, I know any plane can crash, but right now, this one is on the radar and all the flights I have booked, I made sure they were not this plane.
Did you check the fleets?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Did you check the fleets?

When booking the flights yes, they tell you what type of plane you are flying on for that flight. I had a few flights booked already prior to the grounding, and they were not on this plane to begin with. In the near future, I will also check, and won't book on them if this plane is showing as the plane for that flight.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
When booking the flights yes, they tell you what type of plane you are flying on for that flight. I had a few flights booked already prior to the grounding, and they were not on this plane to begin with. In the near future, I will also check, and won't book on them if this plane is showing as the plane for that flight.
I meant that a plane can be swapped at any moment.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I have a Southwest flight booked for October-I don't fly that often, and this will be my only one(probably) of the year. It's hard to say at this point if the MAX will be flying by then or not, so we'll see if I end up flying on one.

In all honesty, once they are back in the air the planes will be under so much scrutiny that they will-at least for a time-likely be the safest passenger airliners in the sky. When I go to get on it, I certainly won't have any worry about it being a MAX or an older 737-at least I know that on Southwest, it will be a 737 in some form or fashion.

Not to downplay the tragic significance of two crashes, but plenty of planes also had "teething pains" including some high profile crashes. The DC-10, MD-11, and 777 all went through that. When a fix is implemented, history will most likely not remember the 737 MAX any differently.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
In all honesty, once they are back in the air the planes will be under so much scrutiny that they will-at least for a time-likely be the safest passenger airliners in the sky.
I would not call it the safest in the case you have to fly it without MCAS. For me it is comparable in a sense to the MD-11. And a long time has passed since then.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
According to a poll, 19% of travelers would not trust the MAX anymore.

Not bad.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
According to a poll, 19% of travelers would not trust the MAX anymore.

Not bad.

That sounds surprisingly low to me.

I mean it does make sense - if/when it comes back into service it could well be one of the safest aircraft out there, because of the scrutiny it has come under. Yet if you're about to get on a flight and you see it's this model of aircraft, it would be hard not to have some kind of nervous reaction.

Plus, if it's involved in any kind of incident after returning to service - regardless of the cause - it'd likely just be added to doubt over its safety; rightly or wrongly.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I mean it does make sense - if/when it comes back into service it could well be one of the safest aircraft out there, because of the scrutiny it has come under.
I think it would be safer than old stuff, but rate below "modern" aircraft.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
ECA wants EASA to get tough.

Passengers almost surely want someone to be tough on Boeing before this plane is "ungrounded" after all the revelations that have occurred since the second crash... including the fact that even if a simulator for the MAX 737 had been used in assisting pilot training, it was flawed. Never mind that the only 737 MAX simulator that had been in use at all by US airlines was one at Air Canada.

Anyway the global regulators meeting took place as planned on May 23rd. The only items finding consensus appeared to be that they all want global consensus on the plane's fitness for resumption of flight, and that the grounded planes will each require around 60-100 hours of work before takeoff. That doesn't take into account pilot training / retraining issues, never mind somehow restoring the pilots' confidence in the actual anti-stall system should its use be required. Boeing had indicated a late June date as target for flight resumption. For once, the FAA was not acting like a bull with a Boeing-owned ring in its nose, suggesting that it had no particular target date in mind for now.

To Get Boeing 737 Max Flying, Global Consensus Will Be Hard

May 23, 2019 FORT WORTH — Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration want global consensus to get the 737 Max flying again. They may have to wait a while.

Aviation regulators from around the world, who met in Fort Worth on Thursday, are continuing to press the F.A.A. for details on the fix to the anti-stall system blamed for two deadly crashes involving the Max, as well as the process for assessing the software, according to an F.A.A. official. One big sticking point: whether to require that pilots undergo additional training on a flight simulator.

If some regulators did require training, the condition would mean that the plane could be out of service in certain countries for months longer than expected. Boeing had recently outlined a target of late June to airlines. But the F.A.A. has been more circumspect.

“We can’t be driven by some arbitrary timeline,” Daniel Elwell, the acting F.A.A. administrator, said on Thursday. “I don’t have September as a target, I don’t have June as a target.”

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
BA EI I2 IB LV VY

:) I assume this is referencing the huge IAG order yesterday?

I mean, after the plane has been put under the microscope so much, it's entirely possible it could end up being one of the safest aircraft out there.

But it also has the makings of a PR disaster. There's "cost-cutting cost hundreds of peoples' lives" narrative there now, and IAG putting in a huge order - presumably at a large discount due to the model's safety issues - doesn't look great.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I mean, after the plane has been put under the microscope so much, it's entirely possible it could end up being one of the safest aircraft out there.
No, even if MCAS is fixed properly, you depend on this kludge not to stop working or you have a more difficult plane to fly than others.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Now there are suggestions to rebrand, as if people could not just avoid 737-8, 737-9, 737-10, and plain "737".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.