iPhone XR Any issues with your XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowboarder, Nov 3, 2018.

1. evivbulgroz macrumors newbie

evivbulgroz

You're lucky, I have yet to see an uniform display on a Xr

2. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

128GB XR here running iOS 12.1.3 Beta 2 and no issues. Absolutely wonderful phone.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2019 ---
    My display is uniform as well. No issues.

3. apolloa macrumors G4

I’ve been using my Spigen for 4 days now, and I much prefer it to the Apple case, it’s much much much more gripy, so even if it’s a little bigger overall he phones easier to handle one handed due to the grip. Also not a single condensation spot beneath the case and phone :) really annoyed I spent that much on a waste of space Apple case!

4. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Really? How many Xr you tried ? And left to right or top to bottom? Curious

5. evivbulgroz macrumors newbie

evivbulgroz

At least 8, at the apple store.They had, to some degree, yellow bottom and grey uniformity problems.3 or 4 were brighter at the center of the display, the other had vertical streaks.Sure, you can live with all of these "defect" or should I say "manufacturing tolerances".They come with the technology.Most people won't even notice, but I'm unfortunately too sensitive to these kind of things.

6. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

Mine is perfectly uniform. No issues in my XR at all. Just tho throw something into the post as well. Mine was assembled by Pegatron and not Foxconn.

7. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-issues-with-your-xr.2152033/page-8#post-26891855

Mine has this going on, looks like a pressure point visible only with some colors. Luckily its in bottom corner, and not something I regularly see unless looking for it, and it doesn't appear to have gotten worse with time or affect functionality.

I guess its enough to warrant a screen replacement down the road should I want to, and in the interim scratch up the display just with regular use without any protector ,and more importantly, not play panel lottery and just enjoy that I got a quality screen uniformity and tint and color wise ;) more important than this,

To an extent, my 2017 12.9 has a similar pressure point line running through the edge of the bottom in portrait and right in landscape, looks like light leak only visible on greys and certain colors when actively looking for it as well. but out of warranty and wouldn't fuss with it either, great panel on that one

8. evivbulgroz macrumors newbie

evivbulgroz

How do you know who is the manufacturer?

9. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

First 2 characters in the serial are the factory it was manufactured in.

10. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

Launch day (well day after launch) Xr in Blue.

Still perfect. Still my favourite iPhone since the 4.

11. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

Got my XR in blue like 2 months ago, and actually everything is perfect Except for the blue hue all around the screen and also a yellow blotch at the bottom of the screen.

Actually, i checked every single one Xr display units on my city, and all of them have the same issues, most of them display a more noticeable blue hue around the screen, and also the dimmer blotch at the bottom, seems like a manufacture defect or a quality control issue.

After an extensive talk with an Apple representative here in my country, they told me to try a display swap, but actually there's no display repair available yet in my country... so maybe after 2 or 3 months i will ask for a display replacement to see how it goes, or just forget about it and avoid the hassle.

12. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Can u elaborate on blue hue all Around and yellow / dimmer blotch at bottom? Is it all around the bottom edge or a corner ?

13. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

The blue hue is just like the pictures posted on this thread, it spreads all around the corners of the screen, some display units show a brighter hue and others (like mine) just a dimmer kind of blue.

About the bottom part of the screen, it's all the way around the bottom, it's like a discoloration turning pink and yellow depending on the light. it makes the screen look so uneven, but since i mostly look the content on the upper part of the screen it's not so noticeable, but once i saw it i can't stop seeing it :(

I've uploaded a photo with reduced exposure so you can see it clearly, at the bottom edge there's a blue hue and above that you can see a yellow blotch near the "home bar", that visible blotch is around the entire bottom.

Attached Files:

14. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Thanks, I think you just solidified me not doing a display swap for my separate issue

Probably will end up with one thats somehow worse, cause panel lottery is hell

15. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

Yeah, i'm thinking the same, as i said i tried to check the rest of the display units and all of them displayed the same blotch in the bottom, some more noticeable than others. So i'll be thinking about a display swap...

16. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

So the new Xʀ has exactly the same problem, WiFi just ground to 0.06mbps while browsing twitter, while my iPad is getting 37mbps.

Not sure where to go from here.

17. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Right what I will have to do is use my old iPhone SE as a main phone for a few days and see if this issue happens. Maybe it’s something to do with my WiFi after prolonged use of a device. If the SE doesn’t have the issue I’ll have to assume the Xʀ is not compatible with my WiFi for some reason!

18. StepByStep macrumors newbie

Same problem here, iPhone XR already upgraded to 12.1.2 and the problem persists. I only notice the problem to start today :( reset, force restart and firmware upgrade and no luck. It seems the problem started during a regular call and now persists, any attempt to listen music on Spotify or YouTube or simply ring tone with high volume and the top speaker will crackle/noisy sound... looks like I have no option other than going for Apple Store for repair/replace...

19. andresebr, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019

andresebr macrumors newbie

I’ve come to the conclusion that both of these issues are present in all iPhone XRs. The warmer tone at the bottom is less noticeable in some screens, but it’s definitely there. Having a sharp eye doesn’t help my OCD at all. I’m done replacing this thing and will try to enjoy it. It’s not like I have another choice anyway... I fell for that trade-in promotion so I can’t return to my old phone. And I know the Xs and Max have their own share of screen issues so I won’t even try. Also I don’t feel like those phones are worth the extra $300+.

20. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

Yeah, actually i had an iPhone XS too, and it has a pink hue all around the right edge, that's more noticeable than the XR yellow blotch, so i'm keeping this XR because i can avoid looking at the bottom of the screen haha!

21. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

The pink edges that plagued many X units in my experience was awful!

22. Gamer-Dad macrumors regular

Gamer-Dad

5 XR's in our household and all have 0 issues... Screens look wonderful.

23. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

Exchanged the first XR which had a nasty pink cast all around the display. The next one was OK.

24. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Really? like a pink tint uniformity overall or pink edges like the X?

I dont think I had heard of pink edges issue on LED

25. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

Yes, it was a pink tint overall. I compared it to the store devices with all filters and TrueTone turned off and mine was noticeably different. One can tune that down with the Color Filters but then the whole display turns yellow and TrueTone did not work any more. So I exchanged mine...