iPhone XR Any issues with your XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowboarder, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Long press on the space bar does the same thing. I just used it to edit your quote.;)

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I could be wrong, but in general it seems like XR has fewer problems and QC issues than XS/Max. Woo

3. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

After using the XR as my main device for about 4 weeks now, I’m really enjoying it. I had a Griffin Survivor clear case on it which made the phone feel like a brick so I picked up the clear case from Apple and it feels much thinner and more comfortable.

Also, since 12.1.1 I can reply to messages from the notification screen which makes things a lot better as I hated not being able to do that.

I’d definitely recommend this phone at this point.

4. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Ah I didn’t know that! Thank you so much! I just used it while writing this reply.

5. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

6. andresebr macrumors newbie

Is anyone having issues with the top speaker emiting a crackling sound at volume >70% on speakerphone calls? Best way to test it is calling 1800-MYAPPLE, activating the speaker and setting the volume at max.

It seems like this is a widespread issue with the Xs (see: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/crackling-in-iphone-xs-call-speaker.2143290/ ) I haven’t found reports of this issue happening with the Xr but my unit definitely has it.

I had this very same issue on every iPhone X I got replaced which made me return it for good and wait another year. I thought that this issue would have been solved by now with the newest models, but that doesn’t seem to be the case :(

7. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

Looks like your spelling control is broken.

Better get a replacement.

8. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Anyone else have issues with picking up the phone and the display not turning on? I got to pick it up with force sometimes just for it to turn on.

With my iPhone 7 Plus, just picking it up slightly would turn on the display.

Defect?

9. tops2 macrumors 6502

I don't notice this with my XR.

I have times when the first time I "tap to wake" the screen and nothing happens. Granted its winter time in the hemisphere I live and my hands get drier during winter..

10. mujtaba.mir macrumors 6502a

mujtaba.mir

This happened to me on multiple occasions. You lift the phone, and the screen stays black though it has unlocked. You lock the screen and unlock again and it works. I did a DFU restore on it and all is well since then.

11. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

So after two trips to the Genius Bar they’ve ordered a replacement Xʀ to see if that helps this intermittent dead slow WiFi issue, hopefully it will be ready early January.

My only worry is what if this is some kind of general incompatibility between the Xʀ in general and my home WiFi? Will apple end up just saying “tough, live with it”?

12. apolloa, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

apolloa macrumors G4

Drat, I have an issue with my XR, well more specifically the official Apple XR case!
    It seems to collect an incredibly thin bubble of condensation right in the middle on the back, and it doesn’t go away!

So I’ll have to go back to my 3 X cheaper Spigen case that doesn’t have this issue...

Can anyone advise me of a decent thin case? Do Spigen make one?

13. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

I use the Ultra Hybrid on my 8+. I’ve been very happy with it. It will scratch if really tossed around, however I feel it’s very resistant. I’ve never had a condensation issue. :apple:

14. apolloa, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

apolloa macrumors G4

That’s the one I already have. It makes the phone a little bulky. But it does have good grip on the sides.

15. flybub macrumors regular

I've had mine since Friday and it has been fine. It restarted itself once on Friday, but it was after I had installed a bunch of apps after setup. Since then it has been rock solid. I came from the Note 9.

16. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

What made you switch from the Note 9?

17. Appledoesnotlisten macrumors member

Appledoesnotlisten

I have Note8 and XR.
    Prior to XR I thought that Note8 was best phone ever, but now I am I love with XR and use Note8 as my secondary phone (I need to phones because of what I do).

18. flybub macrumors regular

I’ve had Samsung since I’ve had smart phones (2010). I’m heading off to flight school and leaving my family for a year and they are all on iPhone. I was also ready for something different. My brother and his wife got me an iPad, I’ve had a MacBook for a couple years and my wife bought me an Apple Watch (she didn’t know it wouldn’t work with an android phone). I’ll be honest, the Note 9 was the best smartphone I’ve ever had, no question. With my entire family being on iPhone, it made sense from a communication standpoint. But I also was flirting with the idea of an iPhone.

I really liked my Note, but I’m enjoying this one and the efficiency of the ecosystem.

19. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Hey, thanks for the story.
    And good luck with flight school!

20. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Oh, sorry. I understood you post as you were dissatisfied with the Apple Clear case, and were looking for a Spigen suggestion. Didn’t realize you had the Ultra Hybrid.;)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2018 ---
    What flight school?

21. flybub macrumors regular

Falcon Aviation south of Atlanta to knock out my CFI. Already have my Commercial, but I've been wanting to get my CFI and teach.

22. apolloa macrumors G4

Yeah, I’ll go back to it I think, maybe I’ll see if I get the same fault with the Apple case. Thank you for your suggestion anyway though :)

23. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Got it. Have a safe career. :apple:

24. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

The main issue I’m having is I like it a lot more than my x and the general public, and don’t see the point in moving up to a max side by side either / the size feels better for me while still having max scaling

25. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

So I swapped my Xʀ at the apple store here yesterday. Haven’t really used it long enough yet to see if the WiFi problems remain. They did give me a new screen protector for free though which was nice. Fortunately the screen on this new one is even, was worried about joining the screen lottery