Anyone else actually LOVE the notch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SHKLMRE, Nov 5, 2017.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't like it, I think it's a fail on Apple's part to have the notch. More so, if this was intentional to make the iPhone more iconic and less generic. There are other ways to make the design iconic then to introduce a design that actually impacts how it works.

I'm enjoying the iPhone X, its a great phone, and for the most part the notch does fade into the background, until I watch a video landscape, or even in portrait, look at a photo that take the whole screen - then the notch is very noticeable.

2. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

Yea nah, it does.

3. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

I love it, doesn’t bother me at all, even when watching videos full screen.

Its iconic :)

It has the best design since iPhone 5.

4. aevan macrumors 68040

aevan

Love it. I tried an all black wallpaper which hid the notch and was surprised how less iconic the design looked.

Also, Apple (and several developers too) is doing some smart things in the notch area, it feels good. Like a special, dedicated space for things, similar to Watch complications. Hard to explain it.

So, yea, I love it. Any other alternative (larger bezel, hiding it with a black bar, etc) would be so much worse for me. It’s one of those Apple-specific decisions that make your device feel special and fun.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2017 ---
    Because it’s a limitation overcame with style and used in a smart way. In a similar way certain scars can actually look cool on a person. I have one over one eyebrow and I always thought it gave me a bit of character. Sure, my eyebrows are not symmetrical, but it looks interesting and my gf likes it.

Same with iPhone X. Sorry you can’t see it, but don’t belittle people that do.

5. Pips333 macrumors newbie

Im not a prolific poster on any forum but I'm gob smacked at this storm in tea cup !

I have absolutely no issue with it what's so ever FWIW.

6. thedropout macrumors member

Im not sure how one can "love it". In landscape mode do you think,"omg this is amazing, the cut out of the video really makes it better. Its a necessary thing at the moment to get something new out . I just hope apple doesnt make this a thing for 3 years. with manufacturers going crazy with new all screen displays apple needs to stay relevant with the times. But if their history has shown us anything, they will push out new colors and sit back and talk about how amazing it is in 2020

7. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I dont prefer it no. Actually saying you like it is crap to me. If they had no notch and the same rounded corners the experience would be 100x's better and you know it...
    The os needs dark mode for the X the way they have it now. How far they bring down the tabs in apps with the notch makes it not worth the extra screen real estate. I was hoping for safari to not have top bar and to have it transparent even with the clock and other side part. I still think it would look better with the content going all the way up even if the clock and right part are still there. I feel like they can do better with the os to Make it take advantage of that area.
    Until then im hoping for a jailbreak that helps this as apple might not have os changes the following year for a better experience.
    As far as now I deal with it. Do I prefer it? Hell no

8. blackdogaudio macrumors regular

blackdogaudio

Sounds like you might have just bought the wrong phone. I'd consider a Droid if it bothered me that much. That's a lot of money to spend on something you use so frequently and aren't 100% satisfied with.

9. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68020

THE JUICEMAN

The only time I “love” it is when a developer makes use of the ears. For example Instagram shows the volume bar up there. A few other apps do other things in the notch as well.

10. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

11. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Sounds like a digital Stockholm syndrome... :D

I noticed the notch when I played with it in the store, but I will admit that it wasn’t as intrusive or noticeable as I expected after seeing pictures. I think once you start using the device, it kind of blends into the background. With time, one would probably not even notice it’s there.

12. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

it ends up blending into my daily usage and is such a non issue unless you are looking for it to be an issue.

13. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I would not say love, more like it is a complete non-issue for me. I really don’t pay much attention to it, except in terms of functionality for swipe gestures.

In my experience the only people who really seem to give this much thought to the notch are those really, really into new gadgets, and those looking to bash the X. Not one person I have come across in real life seems to even really care about it one way or the other, or even notice it. It is just part of the new iPhone X, like the forehead/chin/home button were in models prior to the X, and just like other manufacturer phones have their own identifying characteristics.

14. newellj macrumors 604

15. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

The Apple Kool-Aid is very strong in this thread. The notch is a disaster. It looks like crap. Apple could crap in a box and say this is the best after shave cream you can buy. And the Koop Aid drinkers would buy it up.

If it looks like crap, functions like crap (in landscape mode) it must be crap.

16. newellj macrumors 604

A disaster, really? A genuine disaster? OMG. Luckily, there's a solution! We can just go back to a black band all the way across the display. That would be much better. :rolleyes:

17. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I think that's called a "Gap".. ;)

As for the notch, I thought it would be a problem, but hardly even notice it any more.

18. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502a

Gameboy70

I see retaining the notch as the opposite. Even if Apple can miniaturize the sensors in the TrueDepth array, they're going to augment them over time, just like they did with the camera bump. I've always hated the camera bump, but it's unrealistic for me to expect Apple to ship a more modest camera just because I'd rather have a flush lens.
    I don't play games, so I can't say how that's affected. As for video, I'm a purist when it comes to aspect ratio, so I'd rather watch the symmetrical pillarboxed default than zoom into a cropped, asymmetrical version just to fill the screen. Unless you double-tap to zoom, the notch doesn't obscure anything.

When the iPad was introduced, quite a few people complained about letterboxing on widescreen videos, but to me, it's always been obvious that you're getting more picture, not less.

I upgraded from an SE, so videos on the X with black bars on the sides are still larger than fullscreen videos on the SE.

True of some aspect of every Apple product in history.

19. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Got my iPhone X since yesterday, and I was pretty sceptical of the notch. I wasn't so sure if I'd actually adapt to it. But it turns out I can. I know and notice that it's there, but not in a way it obstructs anything. It has become part of the iPhone experience for me already!

I don't love the notch, but neither do I hate it. I just like it. :p

20. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502a

Gameboy70

This has been 100% my experience as well. I haven't met a single person IRL that's mentioned the notch; they're just anxious to see the phone, and they react positively. Interestingly, I've had several people ask about Portrait Lighting—something I would've though would be an obscure feature—and Animoji, but no questions or mentions of the notch.

21. Contra1971 macrumors member

Contra1971

I have had mine for 11 days and NO I don’t love the notch, but after a short time you don’t even notice it

22. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I really don't think it will!
    For one, Apple is not a company that changes things that frequently designiewise. This notch may get thinner over the years and gradually fade in the display.
    Second, I think Apple wants to give iPhone some sort of character to differentiate itself from other similar bezeless smartphones. So for few years I think there will be a notch. Now everyone talks about it but It will soon be forgotten, just like antenna bands.

23. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Again, I am indifferent. But how can people say “there is no way to love the notch” but at the same time say it’s the most repulsive thing they have ever seen? How much data is covered by the notch and the rounded corners that it freaks people out? Like others have said, ton of android phones (and other iphones) out there that look exactly the same and symmetrical if it is so disturbing. I must be drunk on the koolaid.

24. newellj macrumors 604

Not to mention that if you read up on the design of the phone, it's really not clear where else they can put the hardware required to make FaceID work, other than go to a full-width band, which a lot of people in this thread would seem to prefer. :rolleyes:

25. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

It bugged me at first. But now I don’t even notice it.