Anyone else actually LOVE the notch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SHKLMRE, Nov 5, 2017.

1. blackdogaudio macrumors regular

blackdogaudio

The Notch really is a non-issue. If some of you went against your gut and bought a phone you don't like, you return it immediately and purchase a phone you know you'll like. A no brainer really.

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I like it in portrait

Stockholm syndrome

In landscape browsing I don’t

In videos zoomed in I don’t care? Oddly enough

I like how it draws to my attention the edges are clearly rounded. I like this

3. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

The notch is no different than having a cracked screen at the top of the phone in the exact location of the notch! I can’t help but shake my head every time I come across this thread!!

4. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I see your point to an extent but I would argue cracked glass looks worse for sure

5. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Im deeply rooted to the Apple ecosystem I can’t switch without it being a huge huge hassle. I can put up with the notch but it’s not something people should actually enjoy. It’s there for a reason. If there was no notch and full screen usage everyone would see how much better of an experience it would be. It’s ok for now. The phone aside from that is wonderful.

6. newellj macrumors 604

So...let's go back to bezels! Or at least a top bezel. Really, it's one or the other.

7. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

notch is an eye sore, i returned my X and got a 8Plus

8. blackdogaudio macrumors regular

blackdogaudio

I understand the hassle with switching ecosystems but I can't relate to the notch being an issue at all even after comparing my X with coworkers' Droids. Interestingly, my phone's notch wasn't a problem for them either (and we don't hesitate to let each other know our true feelings about anything.)

I had my sights set on the X before it was released but the Friday before it hit the shelves my 6 Plus bit the dust while I was on call forcing me to buy an 8 Plus. In my opinion, it's every bit as good as an X except for the quality of display and a few features. I'd highly recommend it as an alternative to the X considering.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I’d never consider an 8+ coming from a 7+ I feel like that bezel design is ancient but yes it’s a good phone.
    I love everything else about the x. The notch isn’t an issue but it’s still there. It can still be improved with better designed software so I’ll put up with it as the rest of the phone is so much better than the experience on the 7+ The gestures are my favorite thing about the phone. No home button is the best thing to happen to iPhones imo
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2017 ---
    It’s ok for now. But I’d like an all screen phone in the next few years if it’s possible.

10. newellj macrumors 604

Yeah, it would be extremely cool. Whether it's possible, I have no idea. :D The only thing we really know is that things that were hard to imagine even five years ago are possible today, so it could be so. I am sure there are lots of engineers and sales people who would love to see that happen, too.

11. lupinglade macrumors regular

Except the ui is designed for the notch. Not so with a cracked screen. Odd comparison.

12. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

The only thing odd here is the whole point that you missed, it’s a visual distraction any which way you slice it!

13. AustinIllini, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017

AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

The notch is beyond tolerable, but let's not pretend all of a sudden that we wouldn't take a full frontal display over the notch.

14. newellj macrumors 604

On the contrary, in real life use, it's almost unnoticeable.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2017 ---
    I would never pretend that I wouldn't prefer a full frontal display. Never. Not ever. ;) Very cute pup, by the way!

15. blackdogaudio macrumors regular

blackdogaudio

Actually I've seen both display types with friend's Droids and don't care either way. LOL...the color of my phone which is hidden forever by its case ranks higher for me. Seriously though, the improvement with a Notched OLED display is far more desirable than a LCD without one for me.

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Yup, it's full frontal display now. That's the official macrumors term for it.

I feel like I would prefer this to the Essential Phone, but a full frontal would be awesome.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Personally I will never purchasing a device with a notch or an uneven screen.
    If that's all Apple will be releasing for screens for the upcoming years then they can keep them.
    I'm not buying something that I don't like because a company thinks it's better or that's all they could come up with cause they now have to get rid of the bezels.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I felt the same way about it too. I was very against it when it was released but I don’t think in the near future they will get rid of it. So might as well get used to it now or later unless you plan on staying with an 8 series for the next 4 years

19. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I don't have an X, but have tested it in many stores. The notch really didn't bother me. I don't watch movies on my phone, but might watch a few youtube clips here and there but the notch won't keep me from buying it. Its the future for the iPhone. As long as you aren't constantly comparing it to what the 8 or any other notcheless phones you should be fine.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah but I don't like to compromise or to just get used to something I don't like.
    I'll have to reevaluate my options when the time is right but for sure I'm not paying around $1100 for this nonsense.

21. newellj macrumors 604

Would a full-width bar be preferable?

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But it's not an expected reality that
    Apple should be able to appease To every single iPhone user out there that does or does not appreciate the new X. It is what is. If you don't want accept it for what it is, then utilize other options in the iPhone lineup or migrate away from iOS altogether. But the overall success of the X doesn't qualify as 'nonsense' just because you don't have an appreciation for the new iPhone X, that's a broad stroked statement.

23. Ziravan macrumors newbie

Ziravan

Really like my X. Really don’t like the notch. Stupid and unnecessary intrusion into the screen.

You need 4/10ths of an inch for forward facing stuff. I get it. But don’t take it out on my screen. Fix this next year.

24. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

The moment I started using my iPhone X I already embraced the notch in a way that it doesn't bother me at all. I know it's there, but it does not feel like it obstructs my view or anything. Heck, watching video in zoomed mode, especially when being 4K HDR, is just amazing.

And... not that I like to brag about having the latest iPhone, but I did notice someone staring at my phone when pulling it out of my pocket this morning when I stood in the bus. He didn't say anything, but he clearly recognized the device, all because of that notch. :p