Anyone getting the newly announced XS/MAX/XR Battery Case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by danny8200, Jan 15, 2019.

1. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Same here bought one yesterday for my upcoming trip to Mexico. Should last all day on my Xs max!! My phone is a bit heavier but not more than my power bank.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have 31% right now on the battery pack after 24 hours of use. I am going to let it go until the phone is nearly out to see just how far it goes. It adds weight but it gives me that battery insurance that is nice too. I might go back and forth between this and my leather case but its a keeper.

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Loving this case for the X. Took my phone off the charger at 7AM. Was at my sons basketball tournament until Noon and kept score on GameChanger for two games. That’s almost two hours of constant screen time. Went to lunch and my daughter used my phone while we waited. Case is still at 52%. I would have been down to at least 60% on my phone battery.

4. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Definitely a keeper for me! Been on my phone since 7am heavy usage... and the case is now at 20%
    I love the wireless charging feature, i don’t need to remove the case to charge wirelessly. It also accepts fast charging which is big bonus for me since i have the 29w Pd charger from Apple. The phone is also easier to hold and i feel more comfortable typing. The only con i have with this case is the price... 179$ Cad + tax = 205$

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Been using mine for a week without taking it off and I love it!

6. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

I really, REALLY prefer slim cases. However, I got this one mainly for travel, or days I know ahead of time I will need heavy use away from a charger. It came just in time for a week at Disney! Used on a launch day X. No issues with pop ups like others have noticed. Not sure about audio issues, as I really don't play external audio through the speakers much.

First impressions are that it is a quality accessory (I hope at the price!). It is heavy, although not terrible, possibly due to the balance, as the battery is low in the case. The way the hump sits makes it easy to grip. The lint attraction was noted and does seem to be going away.

I've gotten great performance so far. I have been making it through an entire day at the park (12 hours) with heavy use of the Disney app, camera and photos apps, messaging others in my group, gps app to locate them, etc. and only depleting the case charge and maybe 20% of the phone. The case fits decently in my pocket also.

But....this may be only an issue with my unit, but I'm having an issue charging wirelessly. I placed the phone and case on my wireless charger and left it overnight. I woke to find the phone was fully charged, but the case was only around 40%. I used a different wireless charger the next night and the same thing happened. This time, I noticed the charge light on the charger was blinking as if there was an error. Both nights the case was on the charger about 8 hours, so there was plenty of time.

I'm not sure if it is defective, but seems likely as I used two different chargers, both have worked flawlessly for over a year on the the phone alone.

7. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

So with a full day of use yesterday, I ended the day with the case dead and 92% left on my phone battery. This is a keeper for me. IPhone X

8. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Maybe it’s defective... mine charges both the phone and case... both are at 100% when i wake up in the morning... You said you used 2 different wireless chargers... Are they both same model? If both are the same model maybe it’s the charger, if they are 2 different models maybe its the smart battery...

9. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Two different brands. I tried just charging the case without the phone today with the same result. I'm going to return it.

10. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Apple Smart Battery Case for my iPhone Xs Max. It's not like I need the additional battery life for my day-to-day usage. My iPhone Xs Max will normally last for two days without issue unless I'm having some additional screen time on it above my normal daily usage.

Still I wanted to test the Smart Battery Case just to get a feel for it. I have never had any Apple Smart Battery Cases in the past as they only got released for the smaller model and I have always been on the Plus/Max size since they got introduced with the iPhone 6 generation of iPhone's.

It pretty much acts and feels just like a Apple Silicon Case. Which is a good thing, the Apple Silicon Cases are great and has always been. I tend to prefer them over the Leather one's just because of that awesome grip and the more vibrant colours they tend to offer compared to the Leather Cases. Their major drawback has always been and continues to be lint and dust. The Apple Silicon is just a magnet for lint and dust, it's crazy.

Sadly the Smart Battery Cases only comes in boring White and Black "colours". You loose the awesome vibrant colours that the Silicon Cases tend to offer as Apple keep only providing the Smart Battery Cases in non-colours in White and Black which saddens me.

But after using the Smart Battery Case for a few days and throughout the Weekend I have to say I do like it. It sure is fat, the lower portion looks and feel like a Tank. There is no denying it. But the new design has one HUGE improvement over the previous one for the iPhone 7 (I got one for my wife, which she ended up returning) and that's how it no longer extends at the bottom of the phone. My iPhone Xs Max end up feeling thicker and heavier, but it does not feel larger which is a massive improvement. The iPhone Xs Max is big enough as it is, and the new "edge-to-edge" display/design of the iPhone X and Xs would make an extended underbelly/lip look and feel horrible. So this new design is such a huge improvement overall.

But it does add a bunch to the weight, it almost feels like my iPhone Xs Max is weighing double with the Smart Battery Case on it. And the thickness at the bottom is almost twice as fat compared to not having a case. The weight doesn't really bother me, it actually makes the device feel more sturdy and solid.

That extra thickness is what I thought would put me off, but after using it doesn't really bother me. The way the battery and the "fatness" stops about 3/4 up the back of my iPhone Xs Max makes my grip feels much more natural and improved as my the phone itself is just too big for my hands to hold it in one hand naturally but with this edge that I can hold onto I feel that holding it with one hand feel so much more natural to me. It actually feels better than holding my iPhone Xs Max using the Apple Leather Case and Apple Silicon Case which ended up surprising me.

Battery life on the case seems decent. I can normally go through the day only on the case itself. It's not close to lasting as long as the iPhone Xs Max battery, I tend to have 50-60% at the end of my day without the case and with the case I will normally end up being at 5-15% on the case at the end of the day. But that isn't bad for what it is, being able to go through a normal day of use without even tapping into the phone's battery is great.

I do miss some additional information within iOS regarding the case. There is no information under Battery Health which feels like a huge oversight at this point. I see no reason why the Smart Battery Case should not show up under battery health? It doesn't integrated with the Battery Status / Reporting either, so it will just report you being on 100% battery level all the time instead of taking the Smart Battery Case and it's battery levels into account at all, degrading the usefulness of the battery reporting under Settings a lot.

I also hate how you MUST use the battery widget to figure out the battery level of the Smart Battery Case. You can't see it on the lock screen, you can't see it when you pull down from the top-right or anything. The only time you can see it's current battery level and indication on whether it's charging or not (important when using a wireless charger as you might put your phone on a wireless charger and only charge your iPhone and not the battery case unless you put it the correct location/orientation) is for a split-second when connecting it to power and using the battery widget in the widget drop-down menu. This needs to get improved.

My question is; how does this affect my iPhone Xs Max battery and it's battery health? From what I have gathered the Apple Smart Battery Cases are integrated and communicating with iOS making sure that your phone is acting smarter as compared to other battery case. Other battery cases works just like power banks, they trick your iPhone into believing it's connected to a charger.

This isn't all that great as iOS will do a bunch of power hungry things in a "connected to power, power state" like synchronising iCloud Music Library, iCloud Photos Library, updating apps (if you have auto-update turned on) etc.. This will result in battery cases and power banks not being as efficient as your iPhone will drain much more battery and start doing task you would not normally do when not connected to a actual power outlet.

It does seem like the Apple Smart Battery Case is indeed communicating with iOS here as I can verify that neither of these things that will happen automatically when I connect my iPhone Xs Max to a power outlet, a power bank or put in on my wireless charger happens when plugging it into the Smart Battery Case. It will only start synchronising iCloud Music Library, iCloud Photos Library and updating apps when I put my iPhone Xs Max with the Smart Battery Case onto my wireless charger or plug it into a power outlet.

But the battery icon on my iPhone Xs Max do seem to indicate that my battery is being "charged" when the Smart Battery Case has battery left on it. I'm not entirely sure what this actually means and what go get from it. Does this mean that the Smart Battery Case keeps providing my iPhone Xs Max with a constant stream of power reducing the health of my battery? Or is it simply Apple's way of showing and indicating that my Smart Battery Case still has battery left on it so I don't need to worry about my iPhone's battery starting to deplete anytime soon?

Does it behave intelligently, disabling the use of the internal battery completely while the Smart Battery Case is connected and with charge left on it or does it continuously charge and strain the internal battery while you have the Smart Battery Case connected?

11. freemyheart macrumors member

freemyheart

12. AE14 macrumors 68000

AE14

My black for the Max is coming in today.

My feeling is, if I don’t like it, I’ll just return it.

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Mine has gotten "lighter" as I use it. Obviously its not but I don't have the same level of awareness as I did day one. Took the case off and yea, thin and light relatively speaking but with the case not really that bad.

14. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Got mine today. Actually doesn't add as much heft as I thought. I will definitely be keeping it on all the time. Anxious to see a full charge/discharge.

15. paulschofield76 macrumors member

paulschofield76

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

No issues with battery health here but really, if the phone battery did have an issue I have a battery case and it’s something that can be swapped in the future as easy as remove and replace.

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I'll be getting one in a couple of weeks. I got a $50 Apple gift card coming from my Apple rewards CC soon. I checked out the case at my local store and it's smaller than it looks on the reviews. (iPhone XS)

I am going to Japan for a month in April so this will come in handy while I am out and about.

18. AE14 macrumors 68000

AE14

I have the car on as I type this. It’s a good solid case. The only thing I don’t like is the typical Silicone/lint issues and around the buttons is a little flimsy.

19. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Well, my phone has decreased from 91% to 90%. However, it has been at 91% for months, and I didn't check right before getting the case, so it could have been at 90% already anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.

20. Minarets macrumors 6502a

So black? Fingerprints showing yet?

I fear the white

21. AE14 macrumors 68000

AE14

All over the place.

Nice case, not as large as I thought it would be, but not sure it’s for me

22. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I have the black color but it’s not showing any fingerprints nor any lints being on there. If your hands are oily then likely there will be fingerprints but if you keep it clean, then should not be an issue.

23. Minarets macrumors 6502a

I have extreme dry skin. With my 6s battery case after sometime the exterior coating of the silicone changed. Went from the reported lint picker-uper to fingerprint machine.

24. Silver Idaten, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I’m getting really erratic percentages from mine that I got last night, is that normal? I didn’t realize it came with 0% out of the box, I figured it was 50% so it would hold up for the night, so I was taking it on and off the charger last night since my fiancé and I were on a date night. I hope that taking it on and off the charger out of the box didn’t **** it up or something. It charged to 100% overnight (I think) then immediately keeps going to 95%-96% (tried a few times this morning and yes it did actually go up off the charger), then dipped to 90%-89%, now at 85% where it seems to be holding steady again.

I charged it on my wireless stand overnight, so I was surprised when I woke up and saw it said the case was at 95%. I plugged it into my car charger and it went to 100%, took it off and back down to 95%, tried it a few times with the same result. Not sure if it’s worth exchanging or if this is normal for the first charge.

EDIT - Jumped down to 82%, then quickly down to 78%?

25. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yea, its a little bit of all over the map so I resigned to stop looking and only pay attention to it having a charge in general. No need to know the precent other than to see "how am I doing" even though I want to know.