Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LMMAACC

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2010
St Louis
Since someone mentioned earlier that their battery had went down on their Max since using the Apple battery case, I decided to check mine. I have had the Apple battery case for a little over a week and my battery health on the phone was 100%. Now it is 98%. That is still good I know, but going down 2% seems like a lot in a week compared to staying at 100% for 3 months before the case. I did let Apple support know just in case it is an issue with these cases.
Overall I do like the case and I do not think it’s very heavy.

Reactions: Dopestar

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Yea, its a little bit of all over the map so I resigned to stop looking and only pay attention to it having a charge in general. No need to know the precent other than to see "how am I doing" even though I want to know.
I’m just concerned now that it’s down to 78% after about two hours, weird percentage jumping aside it seems like it’s discharging quickly but then again this is my first Smart Battery Case so I wouldn’t know.
[doublepost=1548774870][/doublepost]
Since someone mentioned earlier that their battery had went down on their Max since using the Apple battery case, I decided to check mine. I have had the Apple battery case for a little over a week and my battery health on the phone was 100%. Now it is 98%. That is still good I know, but going down 2% seems like a lot in a week compared to staying at 100% for 3 months before the case. I did let Apple support know just in case it is an issue with these cases.
Overall I do like the case and I do not think it’s very heavy.
That’s concerning, I thought these were made to retain the integrity of the battery for longer. I guess I’ll see if anything happens to my XR for the two week exchange period.

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
London
My iPhone XS battery health has gone from 100% to 97% in one week of using the case.

30/1/2019 By way of an update Coconut Battery disagrees with the phones idea of battery capacity, see screenshot.
I think ill keep an eye on the battery via coconut rather than IOS

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 09.43.54.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 09.43.54.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Reactions: nikster0029

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
I haven't taken my case off since I got it over a week ago, and my XS Max is still at 100%

Same here - I got mine the day after they were released and have not taken it off since. Battery health on my launch day XS Max is still 100%. I'll try to remember to check it every week or so to see if that changes. Since I likely will NEVER fully cycle my internal battery now that I have the case, I'd expect my battery health life to be improved, not degraded.

I guess we'll all see how things play out.

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Same here, still at 100%. Worst case, the battery case does indeed do something so the phone would be covered and if not that Apple Care but still, I have seen no indication of an issue with my XS Max. I will keep an eye on it though.

Philthy84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Has anyone gotten a chance to ask AppleCare if we have AppleCare+ on our phones if it applies to the case as well? I remember on other Apple products MBP/iPad if you have AppleCare+ it also adds coverage for certain first party accessories.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Good news is my battery case now seems to be discharging normally, so maybe it was just weird first cycle jitters. That’s good because I didn’t want to take a ride to Apple for an exchange today. Hopefully tonight when I charge it I’ll start tomorrow with 100% then I’ll know that weirdness is over. My XR has been at 100% health since purchase and I figured switching to the battery case would help mitigate long term drain, so I’m going to have to keep an eye out for this.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
Good news is my battery case now seems to be discharging normally, so maybe it was just weird first cycle jitters. That’s good because I didn’t want to take a ride to Apple for an exchange today. Hopefully tonight when I charge it I’ll start tomorrow with 100% then I’ll know that weirdness is over. My XR has been at 100% health since purchase and I figured switching to the battery case would help mitigate long term drain, so I’m going to have to keep an eye out for this.

Several of us saw the initial battery calibration issues. A couple of full charge cycles fixed it for most I think.

Reactions: Caesars

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Swapped out my white case for the Black one. The White one gets dirty easily and starts looking black very easily.

I had a feeling that would be the case - I considered getting the white instead of the black, but I figured with how grippy it is that it would get dirty and grungy looking really quickly. And I really didn't want to have to keep cleaning my case. I wish they would have made them in a few more colors, but I can understand not wanting to have a lot of different variations for something that won't sell to the vast majority of iPhone users anyway.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
Has anyone got the XS case for their X?

Have you had any issues with fit or messages etc? So tempted but just concerned it’s “technically” not for the iPhone X

Also be curious to get peoples opinions on the colours they are using and how they are holding up with marks etc in the real world

I really want the white one (as I hate my black X now) but concerned about how easy it’ll stain, blue from jeans pockets rubbing off on it, black scuff marks etc

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Has anyone got the XS case for their X?

Have you had any issues with fit or messages etc? So tempted but just concerned it’s “technically” not for the iPhone X

Also be curious to get peoples opinions on the colours they are using and how they are holding up with marks etc in the real world

I really want the white one (as I hate my black X now) but concerned about how easy it’ll stain, blue from jeans pockets rubbing off on it, black scuff marks etc

I did. No issues whatsoever with pop ups or fit. I like the case. However, I am having an issue with wireless charging. It begins the charge cycle, but stops, usually around 40% or so. I'm going to return it tomorrow.

Reactions: wba1990

ice.

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
There is also one additional day of battery life on my Max, so I got ~ 2...3 days until wallhugging :) During the first two cycles the case got quite warm, now I am using the USB-C to Lightning cable without any warming.

Reactions: Zaned303

CosmicRichy

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Australia
How’s everyone’s case holding up? I know I’m going against what I originally said in previous posts but I’m actually undecided on how efficient the battery is (XR Case). Seems to be giving me 1/2 to a full day of extra charge depending on use. If I’m smashing Apple Music while at work it doesn’t last that long maybe 10-12 hours from one complete charge at best. I’m just constantly seeing mixed results and nothing has been consistent.

Also how’s everyone juggling the case? Do you leave it on? Take it off? Charge separately from the phone?

My wife had the case for her 6S and she would constantly take it off her phone to charge it even if the case had only hit 60% then use her phone draining that down below half then put the case back on and from what I gathered that usage habit literally fried both batteries.

Wouldn’t letting the case drain constantly down to 0% then not charging it for another 24hrs or so seriously degrade the lifespan of the cases battery?

Last edited:

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
How’s everyone’s case holding up? I know I’m going against what I originally said in previous posts but I’m actually undecided on how efficient the battery is (XR Case). Seems to be giving me 1/2 to a full day of extra charge depending on use. If I’m smashing Apple Music while at work it doesn’t last that long maybe 10-12 hours from one complete charge at best. I’m just constantly seeing mixed results and nothing has been consistent.

Also how’s everyone juggling the case? Do you leave it on? Take it off? Charge separately from the phone?

My wife had the case for her 6S and she would constantly take it off her phone to charge it even if the case had only hit 60% then use her phone draining that down below half then put the case back on and from what I gathered that usage habit literally fried both batteries.

Wouldn’t letting the case drain constantly down to 0% then not charging it for another 24hrs or so seriously degrade the lifespan of the cases battery?

I've asked some of the same questions. I've decided just to keep mine on and charge both case and phone together once my iPhone gets low. I've been consistently getting about 2 days out of this combination and i'm happy with that. I thought about taking the case off once it's out of battery but I don't want to consistently take it on and off. I'd be curious to hear how others are using it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

IMO, replacing the case is better/cheaper than replacing the battery on the max.

I've been thinking about the max case as well. Haven't yet made a decision.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
IMO, replacing the case is better/cheaper than replacing the battery on the max.

I've been thinking about the max case as well. Haven't yet made a decision.

Same here. I think it would be really good for weekends when I’m on my phone more. But the Max is big enough. Not a huge fan of adding more bulk.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Has anyone gotten a chance to ask AppleCare if we have AppleCare+ on our phones if it applies to the case as well? I remember on other Apple products MBP/iPad if you have AppleCare+ it also adds coverage for certain first party accessories.
The new case is not covered under AC+.

I think many of you are spending way too much time obsessing over nothing with the battery percentage. Use the case with the phone as you normally would. Enjoy your phone. If buying an accessory is causing you to needlessly worry over nothing or constant what ifs, you might as well stop using the case, and get some balance back in your lives.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I took my battery case off and went back to my leather case. I thought it was too bulky. Well, less than a minute later had the battery back on. It’s really not that bad after all. I charge nightly and know that I have a ton of reserve if something come up in life to keep me away from a charger. I’ve stopped watching the battery widget too. I just charge at night, go during the day, tons of battery and it all I need to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.