Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikotown

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
San Francisco
This phone (iPhone 12 PM Gold) is too beautiful to be in a case. I may use a sleeve pouch or a screen protector.

What about you guys ?
First time going case less with the 12 Pro. I'm sure I'm going to regret it, but it's too damn pretty to be in a case. I just got an anti glare screen protector for scratches and i like the look of it haha

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I got the silicone case which makes it a lot easier to hold. But I will likely only use it for camping and traveling. I have a Pitaka case coming tomorrow so it’ll be that or naked 90% of the time.

Much less slippery with the case though, which is nice.

The Pitaka cases add a little better grip feel but no drop protection so I’m generally pretty careful anyways. Had my X for 3 years with no major drops.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I got the Apple case. I found the phone's new square edges a bit "sharp" and uncomfortable tp hold sometimes.

Reactions: DianaMR

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
The case for my new 12 hasn't arrived yet but having used the phone case-less for the last few days I am really, really enjoying it. I forgot how much I missed the flat sides of my iPhone 5s and I just purchased AppleCare+ for the phone so I might just put a screen protector on it and see how it goes without the case.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Mine just arrived an I am seriously considering go without a case for the first time since they went to the more slippery designs (the 6?). I used no case up until the 6 and loved it, but they got to be like a bar of soap. This one with edges is actually grippable. And the color!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I went case-less for a few hours this afternoon. Noticed the fingerprints on the side... However, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not bad! The phone feels even smaller.

That said, if I didn't like the feel of the silicon case... yeah, nekkid it would be.

First thing I usually do with a new phone is waste a hundred or so on cases. This is the first phone I've not done that with, nor do I plan to.

Reactions: HALE101

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Certainly am. Have always gone caseless. That red 12 is far too beautiful to put in a case

rickypace

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
Highly recommend. 2 pack for $6.99. Using it on my iPhone 12 Pro and it looks amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/CTYBB-iPhone-12-Case,6-1-Clear/dp/B08FJF11LK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=iphone+12+pro+clear+case+2+pack&qid=1603846085&sprefix=iphone+12+pro+clear+case+2&sr=8-4

Last edited:

cchs2014

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2014
My case is Applecare+

The 12 Pro’s design is way too beautiful to hide in a case. I kept my XS Max in a case at all times but that phone always felt very slippery. The 12 Pro’s flat edges feel solid in the hands.

Reactions: Hakiroto and Uccle

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I use a slipcase for when the iPhone is in my pocket but use it caseless. I’ve never dropped an iPhone except when taking it out or putting it in my pocket. And I’ve never broken a screen or back. I’ve owned an iPhone since the first. I have AppleCare+ if something unusual happens. I’ve never needed it though.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
I got the silicone case which makes it a lot easier to hold. But I will likely only use it for camping and traveling. I have a Pitaka case coming tomorrow so it’ll be that or naked 90% of the time.

Much less slippery with the case though, which is nice.

The Pitaka cases add a little better grip feel but no drop protection so I’m generally pretty careful anyways. Had my X for 3 years with no major drops.

Did you buy the Air or Magcase? Let me know how it feels/looks.

NathanDrake

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2020
I'm going caseless...also, going screen protector-less.....I've never installed screen protectors on my phones.

If I had scratches on my iPhone 6S screen, I didn't notice them...am I crazy for not putting a screen protector on? Never used em, but it seems like something that would annoy me

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Did you buy the Air or Magcase? Let me know how it feels/looks.
I got the mag case one because it was 10 bucks cheaper than the air, and that’s the kind I used on my X for 2-3 years. I loved how it felt on my X so I’m happy that my 12 feels familiar now. Keeps the nice form factor but adds extra grip and eliminates the finger print factor.
It’s the Mag EZ or something, not their bulky one.

Last edited:

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Always caseless here. I just want to enjoy the design when I get a phone, it is part of the experience.

I accept I will get some battle scars along the way but would not change it. It does eventually change how you use and treat them though subcounsciously, my 1 year old 11PM has hardly ever been in a case and genuinely looks like new.

Heads off and waits for inevitable next mishap!

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I've gone naked on every phone up until now. I have a 5yr old and a 2yr old, and they're on my phone constantly (had an X for 3 years before getting my 12 Pro).

I got a clear ESR case from Amazon ($18 with 2 screen protectors) and used it for the first time. So far so good. I just know that if one of my kids (or I) drop the phone this soon after I just got it, I'll be really sad... Plan is for me to keep the case on for a few months, until I get in the rhythm of the new phone (size, weight, etc.) After a few months, if I feel things are pretty good, I might go caseless again. But for now, the added peace of mind is worth not being able to enjoy the "nakedness" in the near-term.
For those with kids that want to play with your phone have you considered an old phone, not connected to carrier, just has some apps on it. They can play with to their hearts content. Just a thought.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
For those with kids that want to play with your phone have you considered an old phone, not connected to carrier, just has some apps on it. They can play with to their hearts content. Just a thought.

The problem is it's less "any phone", it's more "they want YOUR phone that you're on frequently" ?

My kids already have their own iPads that we have pretty strict limits for screen-time purposes. In many ways, don't want them to be able to get on "their own phone" whenever they want, otherwise screen-time can go rampant!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

In my case it's more about no screen time. Maybe when he's older, but at 4, we rarely let him have our phones.

The problem is it's less "any phone", it's more "they want YOUR phone that you're on frequently" ?

YEP! I don't think having his own would help as he's constantly wanting to look at my photos....that or weather/maps. ??‍♂️

Reactions: Christopher Kim

jashworth03

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I'm going gold, and plan on doing a screen protector only. Need to find a good edge to edge (not a stupid notch cutout). I have used Elecshion in the past. Any other good recommendations out there?

I'll snag an encased case for running or other times.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
For those going with only a screen protector,

1) Do they all have a cutout for the notch or are there some offering total coverage?

2) Does anyone offer both front and rear tempered glass solutions? Is it even a thing?

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I always go caseless!! I usually buy one to two  leather cases but this year I don’t even think that I’m going to do that.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Never understood why people have a problem with that. No, you can't have my phone. Problem solved.

Reactions: HEK and Lsmachado

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Every time I get a new iPhone I say I'm going caseless but I get worried I'll drop it and eventually put a case on it. I never put screen protectors on anymore because I cannot stand how they look.

That being said I plan on getting the 12 Pro Max and plan on going caseless ?. I have already bought an Apple MagSafe black wallet but that will be the only thing I use on the phone. I think the square design will be easier to hold onto and not so slippery.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
In my case it's more about no screen time. Maybe when he's older, but at 4, we rarely let him have our phones.

YEP! I don't think having his own would help as he's constantly wanting to look at my photos....that or weather/maps. ??‍♂️
You can move some photos over. And just pretend to use the non functional phone, the kid will want that and give that to em. Or like someone else suggested, just say NO. You are the parent after all. Sure at first they will have hissy fit. Just don’t give in. Pretty soon start taking away other privileges. They will get the message quick enough. Just have to brave it out. Train em in private and wear ear plugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.