Apple...A Fast Charger would have been nice!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean76, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ultravegeta1981 macrumors member

ultravegeta1981

Whoever defends this, is a hard core apple fan. They SHOULD have included a fast charger in the box for freaking 1000 dollar(1350 euro).

2. flat five, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

i'm sorry but i don't feel like this is a fair assessment..

if you look at my first post, most of it agreed with what i quoted you as saying.. i quoted you saying that you doubt it will happen.. then i also said i doubt it will happen.
    is that right? or no?

----
    then you all proceeded to jump down my throat about the cost (which, btw, my guess was and UNDER estimate.. it's actually $74)
    ..and i could tell by the responses that my point was being missed so i tried to explain further.. and still, the responses were combative instead of casual/engaged conversation.

(and still, nobody acknowledges the point i was trying to make.. whether the point is right or wrong, it's going completely ignored.. like- see post #14.. that's my point.. the question there has gone unanswered).

---
    idk, again-- i just don't think it's fair judgement with the whole "People like you are the reason arguments erupt in forums".. maybe reconsider that stance.

3. winterny macrumors 6502

I'll offer my opinions here:

1) As a customer, it feels cheap to give the 5W charger, which is just absurdly slow at this point.

2) I think there are reasons that Apple hasn't done this other than just the obvious "they are being cheap".

3) The increased size of the faster chargers would increase the size of the box, which would increase the cost of shipping

4) Looking at how many (brand new) 5W chargers I have sitting around from previous iPhones, it is wasteful to ship a charger at all, and the more expensive the charger, the more wasteful. Most people would probably find it 'even cheaper' if apple included nothing, so they are probably trying to walk a middle ground here.

5) At home, I primarily charge using a Leviton USB receptacle, which as two 2.4A/5V chargers. I have done this for 2 years now.

6) I haven't used the 5W charger on my iPhone since probably the iPhone 4... Yes, I know that the phones didn't support charging faster until much later (I think the 6 or 6S was the first to get a benefit from the iPad charger), but back then, I had an iPad, so if I was going to carry around a charger, it would be the one sufficient to charge my iPad too.

I have continued to use the same iPad charger as my travel charger since 2010 right up until now, and it still works great.

7) With my iPhone X, I bought a 29W charger and a 1 meter USBC -> Lightning cable (I already owned a 2meter version that I used with my Macbook Pro). I expect that this brick will last 10 years, charging whatever future mobile device I have. Most people probably don't need this charging setup, and the iPad charger I have been using for years is still plenty fast. The only reason I cost justify this, is because I travel a lot, and sometimes I am on flights with no charging, and I may have 30 minutes on the ground between connecting flights ... Every minute counts there.

8) $75 / 10 years = $7.50 per year. I think I can manage the cost.

tl;dr ... It feels cheap, but it actually probably makes sense even from a consumer perspective, if you do the math.

4. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

Apple should have included a fast charger for a device that supports fast charging.

It's as simple as that.

If it's some other companies are doing it, it would have been unacceptable.
    And if it's Apple, it's alright? You guys can complain but still go ahead to buy it.

I'm not sure what else I can say. Apple's really pushing the boundaries at how much money they can squeeze out from their customers, and how far they can irritate them and not drive them away. (e.g. remove quad core Mac Mini, remove tower Mac Pro, don't upgrade the Mac Pro for 3 years, remove all the useful ports in the MBP).

5. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Perhaps most iPhone x owners don't know it has a slow charger in the box. Didn't see any reviews mention it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Some people are Apple shareholders. Makes sense now?
    So why not sell the iPhone x with 16gb base storage and use that same line of logic. 64 GB storage has a cost too. Why gift 64 GB storage to each buyer?

6. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

While your argument is sound in principle, and I do agree with you, we’ve missed the technicalities of it.

The USB-A to Lightning spec does not support fast charging. The USB-C to lightning does. Apple are aiming for a wireless future, so the last thing it wants to do is force everyone into USB C on their iPhones and then force them to throw those cables away 2 years later.

Could they have included an iPad level brick in the box for slightly fast-er charging? Sure, and maybe they should have in the interim, but not including fast chargers (I.e. a USBC-Lightning cable and 29Watt Brick) was more of a technical and strategic decision based on their long term plan for iPhone, rather than a cost cutting measure.

7. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

because with 16GB, they’ll get a lot of lash back i imagine. like— a considerable amount of people wouldn’t buy the phone because of this.

the balance they’ve come up with now is 64GB buy in... and no fast charger included.

and they’re selling a crapton.

if enough people didn’t buy the product for storage reasons.. or charger reasons..
    then they’d include these items or up the capacity.

for now though, they don’t really have a reason to include this.. as far as i see it at least.
    apparently others think there are reasons Apple has to include the charger though i’ve yet to see a reason listed..
    other than “i want this (but i’ll buy it regardless)”

8. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Found out why the fast charger wasnt included, cause if they did it will take Apple a bit long to reach being the first 1 trillion company.

9. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Then buy phones from other manufacturer that gives you fast charger.
    But just because others do it, does not mean Apple should do the same.

The most oblivious point you are missing, is that Apple would lose a lot of money in profits by including a fast charger. Instead, by selling you a fast charger, Apple gets to make more money, even if the fast charger costs $0.25 to make. If Apple wasn’t in business in making money, they would have sold iPhone X for $500 and included every accessory for free.
    This economics 101.

It’s ok to wishfully think about it, but being upset about it is waste of time and energy.

10. Sean76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I will give you a great reason...
    Fast charging is just about the norn now! And I'm sorry but I do use my phone all day, from when my eyes open until they close, I've owned all the plus models because I need the extra battery life! I get god knows how many Emails a day, to many texts to count, and even do something called talk on my phone quite often which so many people don't do anymore. All that basically applies to running my business and doesn't include the small recreational things I do like visiting the net to chat with people like you, Watching you tube, and just basic BS that we are all guilty of throughout the day that brings down the battery. I'm a real deal power user, I'm in and out of my store and office all day, and being able to full charge my phone in a very short period of time appeals to me in a very tremendous way. Loved the S8 for that feature, and yes it came with the phone.

I hear your argument, and no it didn't stear me away....But yes it would have been nice out of the box. Maybe they will include it with the plus variant next year, I don't know. But with it being the norm now, I'm surprised apple hasn't adapted yet. Also I know people hate this, but maybe they just should have went with USB-C for the X like they did for their new lap tops. Would have, should have, but didn't...it's irrelevant and I guess if anyone wants a fast charger they will have to buy one, but all I'm saying is apple should have at least gave us something that would avoid old school snail paced charging on such an expensive and future pushing smart phone...here unlock your phone with this next level type stuff called Face ID which is lightning quick, but here's a charger we've been including for the last how many years on phones that cost half the price.
    I do...I got an S8

And what your saying is plain ridiculous!

Get out...Apple make money? I thought they wanted to just save the planet?

Next year things will change, I hope they switch from lighting to USB-C and a fast charging brick is included so all the little babies can complain about what they should do with their lightning cables. Plain and simple fast charging is what is happening right now, it's been included with phones from a year ago and ones that are just as high end and even lower priced than the iPhone X. I love apples products, I buy cases, lap tops, earphones, a ton of stuff from them. What you're saying is charge people a crazy high premium for a phone, in the X world of pricing $1000 and up, and include the oldest charger for which they have been including for how many years now? That takes hours to charge your phone? When in essence there is a brand new way of doing this that cuts the time in half! Stop!!!

Apple is all about cutting edge, apple is all about perfecting. Tell me Apple is working on a way to Bring us a brick that is half the size of Samsung's, tell me they are working on something that will charge even faster than the ones on the market now, but don't tell me to not buy the phone if I don't like it, don't tell me the people who use apples products shouldn't be concerned with this. I am! Why are you giving me the same crap you've given me for the same 7 years when charging has evolved in a big way?

Maybe your ok with wired headphones and the same brick and cable we've seen for almost a decade, maybe you don't charge your phone more than once a day, maybe maybe maybe...either way Apple customers should have gotten something that is available at this very moment, and would not cost them as much as people are making it out to be. Pennies in the grand scheme of things. Yes making money is the most important thing, but giving your customers what they should be getting is even more important...just my 2 cents and nothing more.

11. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I get what you are saying, I hear you. But at the end of the day look at the bright side, be glass half full. At least fast charging has been available in Apple products for sometime now and that’s a good thing and a win in my book.
    Now, if Apple products had no fast charging capabilities to this very day, then I would be personally upset with the rest of the world.

People keep praising Samsung for its phones, but I hate their headphones. After 6 years of being a Samsung user, I always bought and used Apple in ear headphones. I didn’t complain about it, I adopted and moved on with my life.

12. ScorchedEarth, Nov 10, 2017

ScorchedEarth macrumors regular

ScorchedEarth

Apple reminds me of all the gaming companies that people get upset about. Ea Games, Capcom, Activision, etc. They sell a game, and turn around and sell you a DLC key to unlock content, which is already on the disc. The game would be the iPhone. The charger would be DLC key. Why should you pay more for something the device should support out of the box? The iPhone is fast charging compatible, so why not just include the fast charger? If users want to slow charge their phone, let them buy a slow charger or use the slow 5v ones from their previous phones.

All of the users commenting how Apple is justified for NOT including a fast charger... I don't even know what to say about you guys. You same people are part of the reason why Apple milks its user base with barely incremental updates or design changes. Being complacent does not bring out innovation nor change.

13. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

I remember bringing this up in another thread and one Apple fan stated the fast charger is a “luxury” item. If it’s a luxury item what the hell is the iPhone X then an Obama’s phone ?

14. Sean76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I only use beats so I'm ahead of the game where I just give my in box headphones to a family member, worker, etc.

But you hit the nail on the head! It's available, fast charging is available, so why not include it to us X users. I didn't say include it with the 8 series of phones, but an iPad charger would have been nice. I hear people saying they should include air pods with the X, that's ridiculous and it will never happen, nor should it because we're talking anout something Apple charges $150 for vs something that's at the end of the day extremely inexpensive.
    See this is where people loose me! Anyone saying it's a luxury item is just so out of of touch. Why is it a luxury item? It's basically the norm at this moment in time!

15. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

You forget that only a very small fraction of X users will buy a charger from Apple, so Apple would be losing just a few sales vs upsetting millions of customers.
    I’ll make you one example: Apple has made a mistake on accounting a case that I wanted to return. I got the money back but I didn’t send the case.

I am not returning the case and behaving like a prick exactly because I feel they deserve it.

Not including a decent charger with a usb c to lightning is nothing short than a small scandal. I do like Apple products, but I’ll take advantage of them as a company whenever I will have the opportunity (I.e. getting Apple care and destroying a phone just before resell), because they do -legitimatly- take advantage of me.

16. barkomatic, Nov 10, 2017

barkomatic macrumors 68040

As long as the iPhone X sells as well as it is then Apple has no reason to include it. I have a Note 8 with both fast wired charging and fast wireless charging. Not only was the fast wired charger included in the box but they ran a promo and I got an additional free fast wireless charger that retails for around $80.

Yet, people aren't lining up outside Best Buy to purchase a Note 8.

Regardless, I didn't realize how incredible fast charging was until I had it--now it's must. Charging my phone in less than half the time is very convenient and if I get an iPhone X I'm definitely springing for one.

17. Sean76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Yup it's pretty crazy how fast it is. When I got my S8 I was Whoaaaaa! Same with the wireless fast charging that I got for like half the price from VZW because they were running some sort of special. Makes me wish I never sold the phone and the charger to one of my workers...ehhh!

18. BigMcGuire, Nov 10, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I was out and about flying for work and overheard someone with an iPhone 6s complaining how slow their phone charged versus an Android coworker. Asked them if they tried an iPad charger, they said no but they did have one. Had a pleasant time explaining how the iPhone does charge a lot faster if you use an iPad charger - much to the demise of the Android coworker who was having a blast bashing iPhone for not "fast charging" and what not.

Yeah, I don't think it would cost Apple THAT MUCH to include a 2.4a charger - that said, they're really cheap on Amazon (I use Anker chargers). The charging speed difference between an Apple USB C $70 laptop charger and the $13 Anker charger (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-2-Port...&qid=1510331098&sr=8-6&keywords=Anker+charger ) is very little - cost difference is insane.

Yes, Apple is in the business of making money and it does this very well. I think the cost of redesigning the boxes to support a larger charger, along with including a larger charger (probably costs them less than $5 per charger) - would be in the billions. A lot of people I know just charge their phones overnight and that usually gets them through a day or close to. Poor 6s, 7, and 8 owners (non+ models) could really benefit from a faster charger because more of those have a harder time getting through the day. But the $13 Anker charger will charge 2x+ faster than the included 5w 1a Apple charger.

19. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Apple doesn’t owe us free premium chargers. Yes, it would have been nice, but no, it doesn’t make them evil or greedy by not giving them to us. It makes them business smart. And it keeps their coffers flush, which in turn keeps their R&D budgets up, their customer service top flight and their products generally very nice.

Which in turn keeps companies like Samsung scrambling to compete, relying on cheap giveaway pack-ins to lure customers who mistake them for added value.

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I used the iPad charger on my iPhone 6s Plus and it certainly charged it a little faster. However, true fast charging is considerably faster than that even. Using an iPad charger and a true fast charger are not really comparable.

I think Apple knows that many of its users have never experienced the technology on non-Apple devices and so that's probably another reason they don't include a fast charger in the box--people just don't know any better.

21. Sean76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Saw this on BGR...wireless and fast!
    What's people's thoughts?
    RAVPower Fast Wireless Charger for iPhone X / iPhone 8 / 8 Plus QI Wireless Charging Pad for Galaxy S8 Note 8 and All Qi-Enabled Devices (QC 3.0 Adapter Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FHY8MB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mBEbAbC07RZ89
    Lol look at your profile pic...lmaoooo!
    Do you hear yourself? Coffers, R&D budgets, keeping customer service up? You work for Apple or something?

My man...you act like apple adding a fast charger is going to make them have to move out of that space ship they just moved into. They have more money than the United States govt...they can afford to give X users buying a phone for over a $1000 a fast chager. Please stop with the keeping the company healthy with profits by jiping the customers who made them this profitable. The argument is so moot, should they have included it? Yes...Did they...No!

I'm not cheap, I'll buy a fast charger, to me it's worth it. However with the money I, we, us, spend on Apple products, especially the new X owners, it would make so much sense to just include this to us instead of what has been included for some time now.

22. mrklaw macrumors 68000

I could argue it might even have been cheaper for Apple to ship a fast charger.

If they aligned the product roadmap and shipped iPhones with a 10/12W charger like the iPads have, they could simplify their production/inventory management. I expect the 10w probably costs them a few cents extra compared to the 5w

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Link to a thread - one of a handful on Macrumors over the last 3+ months. The difference between the rapid charging and what the 12w does is very little.

Fast charging

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/29w-fast-charging-tests-and-3rd-party-adapters.2052414/

Go to 3 minutes 8 seconds in the above video.

24. TheIgster macrumors regular

TheIgster

$1320 here in Canada and you don't even get a fast charger. Yeah, Apple really should have at least included a fast charger for that kind of cash.

25. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yeah, at the very least a 2.4a would've been nice. Heck, I didn't even pull out my 1a bud out of the box, I'm using our main Anker 8 port "smart charger", provides 2.4a to supported devices, and I get like 80-85% in under an hour (I think ... I know it took over an hour to get to 100% from a completely depleted X).

Side note: Anker products are so nice (former Google engineer started the company). I just recently got a couple of their PowerLine+ L cables, in red, tapered connectors, double braided nylon wiring covers, nice little soft case, packaged like an Apple product.