Apple...A Fast Charger would have been nice!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean76, Nov 9, 2017.

1. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed. I have so many Anker products in my house, it's not even funny. :) Love everything they come out with. lol. I have their lamps, speakers, cables, batteries, chargers, headphones, wireless chargers....

3. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

I have a new MBP. I charge my iPhone over night so the standard charger works just fine.

4. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Its such a "Luxury" item that you could pick up one up on Amazon for 10-15 bucks....... The reason why i believe its not a "luxury" item is the ones on amazon is missing this :apple:........

5. haqsha23 macrumors 6502

haqsha23

I didn't have to buy a fast charger because i have the 87W brick that came with my macbook, did have to by usbc- to lightning cable, foudn OEM on ebay for $20. It's really fast, definitely worth it.

6. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Paid $19 for the usbc to lightning cable for my MacBook Pro and the iPhone 7+ I had. Brought it from Apple when I got my MacBook earlier this year. Also have an extra iPad charger that I keep at work to charge my iphx.

7. BSben macrumors 6502a

I think they should have included a fas charger, but as I have an iPad charger I use that one. The charging speed of that of the USB-C one is not that different.I was more pissed off, that in the UK we didn't get the foldable charger that we get with Apple Watch, but then that is only fairness.

8. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I have a boatload of USB-PD chargers since my past 2 phones were a Pixel XL and a Nexus 6P. I also had the USB-C to lightling cords laying about because I have a macbook pro and an iPad pro.

To simplify travel, I travel with the Macbook Pro power brick + one USB-PD brick for the nexus... all my cords are USB C terminated... makes life easier.

9. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Apple is overcharges for everything they sell. But as others have stated, they're not going to change that approach unless and until they see a dip in demand for their products. I have a feeling that they're going to be raking in a ton of money on the X, so don't look for anything to get better anytime soon. The OP has no one to blame but himself. Rather than complain, don't buy the phone. Voting with your money is the only thing that can make an actual impact.

And to take the OP's point further...if we're going to complain that they didn't include a fast charger in the box, we should also complain that they didn't include AirPods.

As a consumer, I'd much rather they *didn't* bundle AirPods or a fast charger and instead sold the X for a slim profit margin. I'd rather pay $500 for it and not get those things than pay the current $1000 and get a fast charger. But, again, so long as they're selling these phones as fast as they can make them, neither of those things is going to happen.

10. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Me, I'm a fan of this one (picked up two of them myself...though the ones I have are black).

https://www.amazon.com/Omars-3-4A-Dual-Charger-Foldable/dp/B014CHW6VW/

I guess Apple should just stop including accessories altogether. Then they can make the box slimmer. Just include another lightning cable.

But, then, won't they do away with the lightning cable? I mean, we're getting by without a user accessible port on the Apple Watch.

Why not make the next iPhone also water resistant to 50 meters and ditch the lightning port?

What? You don't all have wireless CarPlay in your cars yet? What are you waiting for? ;)

11. mackinmike macrumors 6502

Apple: "If you can afford a 1000+ iphone, you can afford to buy a fast charger. Pls bend over"

12. PastaPrimav macrumors regular

Want a fast charger? You can buy one. Nothing stopping you.

MOST people don't need to charge but once a day (overnight) and don't care how long it takes.

MOST people would prefer the cable that comes with their iPhone to be compatible with the world (see: USB-A).

So the iPhone comes with what makes sense for MOST people.

Again, if you want USB-C cables and fast charging adapters - they are available. As option. For the people who really want it.

I also don't think fast charging is particularly safe, and I think Apple is just giving in to pressure and no longer trying to protect you from yourself. If you're fool enough to pump tons of power through battery as fast as possible every day, so be it.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

In today’s entitlement world, why did Apple not toss in some AirPods, too!

14. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

When i first got my old note 4 the fast charger came bundled because samsung users demanded it. If i remember correctly the s5 was capable of FC but they didnt bundle the charger with the phone. Samsung users were not happy and took to the forums & feedback and samsung have included a fast charger in all devices capable ever since. The people made that happen. Why are we so accepting of what apple give us. Why do we always defend their decisions. Even when it feels shady?

15. Ktm.Moto macrumors member

This may be a little off topic but could using the quick charge constantly end up having a negative effect on the battery life?

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

It can and technically does but batteries today handle it so much better than they have in the past that over the course of a 2 year lifespan you probably won't see the difference. Heat will affect them much more - so if you're gaming and fast charging from 20% to 80% at the same time - it will probably heat up the battery a LOT and have a much more detrimental effect on the life.

But charging with a 4.8a Anker charger, my phone gets warm but not hot - if I charge it under 80% (it slows down past 80% and trickle charges 90%-100%). So I don't use it if I'm "rapid" charging it under 80%. Above 80, I can use it and charge at the same time and not notice any heat.

But like @Newtons Apple --- 99.9% of my charging is overnight next to my bed with a USB'ed lightning cable or a wireless charger at work/next to bed. I end my day with usually 93%. :p

17. eenuuk macrumors regular

No, that isn't what the loss would be. The loss would be whatever the profit is. Your comment assumes the charger costs Apple $0. So the maths is WAY out.

18. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Fast charging was ok with my experience on samsung devices. Wireless fast charging on the other hand had a really negative effect on both my devices, however switching to charging via a non fast wireless charging pad helped.

I trust fast charge tech, i somewhat trust wireless charge BUT i dont trust wireless ‘fast’ charge

19. Apple Bistro macrumors newbie

Im using my fast charger brick from my note 5 with my lightening cord that came with the 8 plus and it is fast charged from 26% to 100% in just under 2 hours.

20. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

no it doesn't.
    ??

also, why would the loss only be whatever the profit is?
    wouldn't there also be losses from manufacturing costs, materials, shipping, packaging, labor etc etc.??

i mean, half the retail cost of something generally is to pay back all of the above.. if those costs weren't recouped, they would also contribute to a loss factor.

21. mib1800 macrumors 68020

Most probably charger cost less than $10 to make. If apple don't sell it separately, how can they skin you?

Btw: why the apple fast charger is such a big brick? Is it they make it big so you won't feel you got cheated buying it.

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Just because you have bought a lot of Apple products and accessories, that doesn't entitle you to a fast charger at Apple's expense. The fast charger is not a necessity. It is a luxury item. If you want it, you pay for it.

23. ultravegeta1981 macrumors member

ultravegeta1981

If all of your competition includes it for less money, you should aswell. That's what people deserve for a 1000 bucks.

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Other companies are not giving the items away for free. "Free" is just a marketing ploy.

If some on here don't like that Apple didn't give them something for free, they can go buy Samsung, and pay for their "free" charger the marketing way.

The problem around here is too many people think they are entitled to x,y, and z when they aren't.

25. ultravegeta1981 macrumors member

ultravegeta1981

Again, for 1000 plus dollars they should have included a fast charger. It's simple really, no need to defend Apple on this one.

Mayne in the future they will ship it without a camera, so you can choose between 8 mp at 100 dollar, 12 mp at 200 and the powerhouse 20 mp for 300. But people will still defend it.