Apple Acknowledges Siri Leadership Has Officially Moved From Eddy Cue to Craig Federighi

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Serious question, no sarcasm intended - what's Cue's biggest accomplishments in last 18-24 months?
Not much. They took App Stores and Sire away from him for a reason. He has been pivotal in MANY content deals including much of the early iTunes stuff. But he hasn't been able to get TV deals done, maybe because of his own fault or maybe because of the different landscape.

I'm sure he still provides value for Apple through his vast network of contacts etc, but he has been failing on the stuff they took away from him. Time will tell if he'll stay.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Tim is awsame, think of what he accomplished since the 4s and the ipad 2 days, he made apple a monster since than
Not to dismiss Cook's skills, tastes, or wisdom, but to give Cook credit for Apple's post-Jobs success is generous. Cook assumed leadership on the eve of the iPhone, Apple's Holy Grail for its growth. Because of the phone, other revenue-generating services emerged or prospered--namely the app store. The phone also paved the way for the iPad and watch, all of which existed--or were in the pipeline--prior to Jobs' death.

My point is, you could have put a monkey in the CEO's office, and Apple would have accomplished the same because of the "tipping point" that the phone caused. Cook merely rode the tsunami that it became. If Cook were the vision behind products, services, or features, your credit would be valid. In fact, there has been unpopular UX decisions and neglected products that were under his watch.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I really hope this helps improve SIRI. I think it was a good decision by apple!
I think we're already seeing improvements to Siri in iOS11. I'm not sure if this is due to Craig or not, but it's a step in the right direction.

Is it just a matter of Tim till they hand Apple to Craig?

Tim needs to go...
I think Tim is doing a great job. Besides, I think Jeff Williams is next in line to be CEO.

AJ5790

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Phoenix

Apple has updated its executive profiles to acknowledge that software engineering chief Craig Federighi now officially oversees development of Siri. The responsibility previously belonged to Apple's services chief Eddy Cue.

Apple's leadership page is only now reflecting Federighi's role as head of Siri, but the transition has been apparent for several months, based on recent interviews and stage appearances at Apple's keynotes.

At WWDC 2016, for example, Federighi and Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller joined Daring Fireball's John Gruber to discuss how Apple was opening Siri up to third-party developers with SiriKit later that year.

At WWDC 2017, Federighi was on stage to discuss improvements to Siri in iOS 11, including more natural voice, built-in translation capabilities, and advances in machine learning and artificial intelligence.

Cue continues to oversee the iTunes Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, Apple Maps, iCloud, and the iWork and iLife suites of apps, and handing off Siri should allow him to focus more on Apple's push into original content.

Apple's updated leadership page also now lists profiles for recent hires Deirdre O'Brien, Vice President of People, and Isabel Ge Mahe, Vice President and Managing Director of Greater China.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Siri Leadership Has Officially Moved From Eddy Cue to Craig Federighi
I honestly think Eddy should be in charge of nothing but negotiations, and maybe not that either. Happy to hear this.
[doublepost=1504284810][/doublepost]
As far as I can see it is that everything Cue is responsible for (iCloud, Apple Music, Maps, Siri, iWork, iLife) has been very stagnant the last 5 years. By a company the size of Apple and not that many product differentiations to focus on, I'm very disappointed how much progress is coming to market. They surely aren't a frontrunner in any category today.
Lol. Yeah, you’re just wrong here but whatever.

Reactions: StyxMaker

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I think Craig has too much to handle.. I still remember the iOS 7 or 8 wwdc where Craig was talking for 2 hrs and he said " I think this is some kind of test" .. don't know why there's so much on his plate..

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Serious question, no sarcasm intended - what's Cue's biggest accomplishments in last 18-24 months?
I'm there with ya. Speculating. Seems to be more of an operations guy, keeping deals in place, renewed, etc. Hopefully he will keep (thru strong negotiation) the 4k videos down to the desired 19.99 price target. Wait... isn't this stuff Jimmy Iovine could do?

Or was it the deals with the TV content providers? Oh yeah, that is stalled too.

Rob_2811

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I honestly think Eddy should be in charge of nothing but negotiations, and maybe not that either. Happy to hear this.
[doublepost=1504284810][/doublepost]
Lol. Yeah, you’re just wrong here but whatever.
Yeah maybe not... :D

In 2013, Cue reportedly showed up 10 minutes late to a meeting with the CEOs of Time Warner Cable and Time Warner Inc. in a Hawaiian shirt and in tennis shoes with no socks, while everyone else was in a suit
https://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-hard-charging-tactics-hurt-tv-expansion-1469721330

albebaubles

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
low Sierra
Not to dismiss Cook's skills, tastes, or wisdom, but to give Cook credit for Apple's post-Jobs success is generous. Cook assumed leadership on the eve of the iPhone, Apple's Holy Grail for its growth. Because of the phone, other revenue-generating services emerged or prospered--namely the app store. The phone also paved the way for the iPad and watch, all of which existed--or were in the pipeline--prior to Jobs' death.

My point is, you could have put a monkey in the CEO's office, and Apple would have accomplished the same because of the "tipping point" that the phone caused. Cook merely rode the tsunami that it became. If Cook were the vision behind products, services, or features, your credit would be valid. In fact, there has been unpopular UX decisions and neglected products that were under his watch.
His manufacturing prowess is directly responsible for apple's growth. your point is invalid

Reactions: StyxMaker

Naraxus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2016
Man, the people sure don’t let go of any opportunity to turn this thread into a Tim Cook bashing thread, do they?
Mainly because Cook has kept Cue on FAR longer than he ever should have been
[doublepost=1504286179][/doublepost]
Give iCloud and pro apps to someone else and move Eddy to LA to run iTunes, Apple Music and Apple content deals.
Cue in charge of content deals.......so we can get more Planet of The Apps and Carpool Karaoke while Amazon and Netflix completely blows away Apple at every turn.

Lol. Sure. Let's do that.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Here’s hoping Siri moves ahead by leaps and bounds. I still can’t find myself using it for more than the odd timer or, rarely, adding something to the calendar.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Mainly because Cook has kept Cue on FAR longer than he ever should have been
[doublepost=1504286179][/doublepost]
Cue in charge of content deals.......so we can get more Planet of The Apps and Carpool Karaoke while Amazon and Netflix completely blows away Apple at every turn.

Lol. Sure. Let's do that.
Well no I think he should get an early retirement but that’s unlikely to happen so this would be the next best thing.

Reactions: Naraxus

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Here’s hoping Siri moves ahead by leaps and bounds. I still can’t find myself using it for more than the odd timer or, rarely, adding something to the calendar.
This is what I look forward to testing the most in iOS 11. I use Siri all the time for dictation, and it's variable at best with results. But I'm hoping with this new advanced Siri, it will be much improved with deciphering and accuracy, which will also be indicative of how the HomePod will be responding based on the new Siri.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68000
Is it just a matter of Tim till they hand Apple to Craig?

Tim needs to go...
Craig is definitely a better showman on stage than TC, but he doesn't have the same convincing passion of SJ (who does?). I cringe every time Tim is up there, hoping he brings someone else up as quickly as possible, just to add any level of excitement to the presentation. I get that being CEO shouldn't have to include being a showman, but Steve set the bar really high in this regard and not having someone take over that part of being the face of Apple is something I think they're sorely missing.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2012
Well, considering than Services is where Apple has grown the most in the last 2 years, and Cue seems to oversee most of Services I don't see how one can say it's doing bad.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I think Eddie is getting other things to work on. Maybe another major Maps upgrade for iOS 12 or iTunes reboot in 2018.
Please, for the love of God, Apple, don't let him touch either Maps or an iTunes redesign. As someone said earlier in this thread, there seems to be a trend of just about everything that Cue is involved with turning into a dumpster fire.