Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Google bought Android in 2005 and YouTube in 2006. I think buying YouTube was the more profitable purchase as it's becoming ad-city and the second most used search engine behind Google's. They bought Grand Station and made it into Google Voice.

Google and Apple buy smaller companies all the time. Apple is becoming more like a service company like what Google has been for years. Google is becoming more like a software & hardware company like what Apple has been for decades.

Apple buying Shazam doesn't leave an impact on me personally. I only use Shazam maybe 6 times per year looking at my search history. Just another way to diversify like when they bought Beats. I would love to see Apple or Google to buy Fandango and force us to use their mobile payments.

It's only a matter of time until these smaller app development companies get bought out by either Apple or Google. What's next? Google buying Uber or Lyft?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Siri has Shazam capabilities built-in already. You can simply as it, "What song is this?", "What song is playing?", or "Name this tune." They added that function back in 2014 with iOS 8.
Only problem is that it Never works for me. Because of the fact that you will always have music in the background when using this command, and Siri works crap when its not silent.

fmillion

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Bets on how long until all Android support disappears.

Remember, Siri was originally for Android.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
worked for amazon. They only recently started turning a profit. For the vast majority of it's life amazon lost money.

We might need to clarify what it means to "not make a profit" or "lose money"

If Amazon had $1 billion in revenue... and after expenses they chose to spend the remainder of that $1 billion on growth and expansion... that would leave $0 leftover in profit.

But that's not as bad as it seems. All those years where Amazon had "no profit"... they were actually investing in their growth. Spending money on capital expenditures: warehouses, data centers, etc. Hiring personnel. Expanding into new markets. Offering new products and services.

And look where they are today. Amazon went from selling books... to selling everything. And they are profitable now.

Spotify isn't so lucky. Their business model was flawed from the start.

It costs Spotify more to license the music and pay their expenses than they have revenue coming in. They basically spend more than they make.

If Spotify had $1 billion in revenue... it actually costs them $1.2 billion just to operate.

There is no profit. Spotify literally loses money.

And that's why after 9 years... Spotify is STILL asking for money from investors. The oldest startup.

You can't compare Spotify to Amazon... their situations are nothing alike. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Uofmtiger

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
The only smart investments I have seen has come from Disney.

2012 - Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm
2017 - 20th Century Fox

Apple buying Shazam has as much impact on me as Google buying Waze and WordLens or Facebook buying WhatsApp and Instagram.

Reactions: 0958400

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Good bye Spotify integration... :(

Also Amazon music store integration. I can play either MP3 or AAC files on all my devices, but MP3 is certainly the more universally supported standard, and the Amazon's prices are many times lower than the iTMS, so I always buy from there first when possible.

Reactions: 0958400

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Should have bought SoundHound instead. I find that to be better.
Yeah, you probably know better than Apple.

Apple isn’t new to the industry and they had a price and terms in mind. I’m sure this was best given a ton of factors we don’t know.

Why are people so quick to judge without knowing anything ?

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Couldn’t be more wrong.
How did Face ID came to life? By acquisition of different companies.
It is the Apple way.
[doublepost=1513019844][/doublepost]
It’s already integrated in Siri. Which most people either don’t know, or forgot.
I’m talking about more than just Siri intergration, but ok.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Hopefully this is the death blow to Spotify

That's a rather odd take. What did Spotify do to you?

Why on earth would you want this to be a death blow to Spotify?

Why? You dont like competition and want Apple to be able to charge 19.99 Euro a month cuz no one else is around? No thank you. Also obligatory Apple Music sucks

Why do you want Spotify dead?
It is easier to state that Apple solution is the best once it is the only one remained

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
I last used the app on my 2010 iPod Touch that gave me like, 5 free matches a month, then subscribe.

I haven't used it since, but I assume it's unlimited matches w/ ads for free; unlimited matches ad-free for monthly fee. No, thanks!

My Android phones have had it for free for years. What Apple users will put up w/ for their superior ecosystem perplexes me.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I bet they have the 'courage' to drop support for everything other than Apple Music. That means I must be courageous enough to switch to SoundHound, I'm not touching that piece of crap.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Didn't even know Shazam still existed. I think I used it briefly in 2010 or 2011 and the vanity quickly wore off, I deleted and never saw anything about it again till now.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is hugely exciting news, and has very little to do with Apple Music (though that's the natural tie-in).

Shazam has been doing R&D for automated recognition systems for years, technology that has little to do with the service they are known for.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Disney bought Fox, hooray! X-Men and Silver Surfer can now be part of MCU!

Apple bought Shazam. *crickets*

If Apple breaks the Shazam app on my Android, it's back to Soundhound for me. My Shazam app is already the ad-free one on Android. I rarely use it except a half dozen times per year, so it isn't game changing.

It's like if Google bought Yahoo! Sports, Pandora, or Flixster, I rarely use any of those apps anymore. Think AOL and Yahoo Messenger. We move on to the next one with similar ability. I still have those apps on my iPhone just to keep the homescreen layout evened out.

Only Disney is winning the buyout game for me. The purchases from Google and Apple recently makes me yawn. Disney is going to be around forever and ever.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Here's the "exciting news" for Shazam:
Apple will use it for a bit, try to integrate it more heavily into their products, fail at said attempt and then shutter the service.

This is based on what we have seen in the past, so I would definitely expect this trend to continue here and suggest looking at alternative services if you use this frequently. At bare minimum, I would expect to see this disappear from Android in the very near future.

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
Yeah, that's my concern. Spotify, Google Assistant (I don't have an iPhone), Snapchat... I'm hoping that Apple just leaves things where they lay; but we all know that is not how their acquisitions go, annoyingly.

edit -- Thankfully, I think that Google Assistant identifies songs using the Google Play Music database-- it doesn't have to rely on Shazam. Comforting news for those of us that use it for music recognition.

Dud u dont have an iPhone? Why? I cant believe it. All ppl i know including females uses iPhones. Even frienz from the neighborhood who r a poor have iPhone too. Why u don’t? Please explain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.