Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did Apple send you a FREE BUMPER?

• Yes.

Votes: 50 17.5%
  • No.

Votes: 235 82.5%

• Total voters

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have been trying to think about this thing logically - once of I got over the fact that my new "superphone" was dropping nearly every call I made from home - and I have a theory about whats going on (maybe just wishful thinking!)

First I figure there are at least three truths that I think we can all agree upon:

1) All cellphones suffer some sort of signal loss when held - the nature of antennas is simple - block it and reception becomes weaker. Although, not all cellphones may show a drop in bars and this could be based upon location and also upon the software the phone uses in determine the bars - my understanding is that signal strength is measured in -dB and the closer to 0 the stronger the signal, however, there is no set rule that says -50 dB equals 5 bars, what measurement equals what number of bars displayed is determined by the cellphone maker. In other words, an LG phone may not show any loss of bars when held but may still be receiving a weaker signal.

2) Apple designed the iPhone 4 to have part of the case act as the antenna thereby putting the antenna in direct contact with a human being when the phone is held. Logically speaking this would result in an exaggeration of the problem listed in 1 above - of course I would defer to an electrical engineers opinion on this.

3) It has been stated, and probably is true, that Apple redesigned the modem software in iOS 4 such that the phone favors connection with less noise over a connection that may have a stronger signal. (Walt Mossberg's review discusses this)

When considering the the three things above - I really begin to think we have both a hardware and software problem. Hardware wise, the antenna is placed in a less than preferable location for left handed holding resulting in a stronger than normal signal loss when holding the phone in the left hand but second Apple designed the phone to favor less congested towers meaning that if there are two towers in range of your phone, towers A and B. If Tower A is 100 feet away with a very strong signal close to 0dB but is 50% more congested than Tower B which is 1000 feet but offers a weaker signal - the iPhone will choose Tower B. So if the phone is already choosing a weaker signal to connect too than holding the phone will only make it more difficult to receive that weaker signal, resulting in signal loss and drop calls/call quality/data performance.

I feel that when considering the software element, it also explain why the truth explained in 1 above is not nearly as noticeable in other brands of phones (or even some iPhone before iOS4) since those phones likely favor strong signals vs. less congested. In addition, it also explains why in some areas, less congested areas with more towers or more congested areas with even more towers, the phone performs the same if not better than previous models - at least in my experience. It also explains how in testing the problem either wasn't noticed or didn't seem to be a big issue since Apple likely only tested the phone in one region.

Of course this is not meant to excuse Apple for a problematic design, nor excuse Jobs arrogance, but simply stated if software does come into play with the problem - the extent that the hardware is flawed can only be determined once the software is fixed - then we need to demand a recall, redesign, or some sort of retribution.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Well there we go ;)

But yeah, sorry if you aren't being compensated.

I run a business and this kind of service issue just won't cut it. They are trying to rectify my issue. I'm happy with that.

Update is suppose to be out next week as well.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Hey guys just got off the phone with a rep who was real nice. I explained to him I already bought a bumper for the signal issue and that anything they could do would be appreciated. I was put on hold and about 10 minutes later a supervisor came back on the phone and said that they would like to offer me a product from the apple store as compensation. He said that I would have to pick out something in the $75 price range, so I decided to pick the in ear headphones.

I think the biggest thing was that I was very polite and told them how much I have enjoyed the products over the years and that I was just a little annoyed with having to purchase a case to fix the issue.

Overall I'm really impressed and the people I talked to were great. I'll post my e-mail from Apple when I receive it as proof.

EDIT: He also told me that another person would be calling either Monday or Tuesday to follow up on the issue.
You think copying an e-mail is proof? Anybody can write anything they want and claim it was from anywhere.

BiomaxDDS

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2009
so I was just on the phone with apple tech support, with the phone on the table and using a headset. Either the tech just hung up on me or my call got dropped with full bars :confused:

myphone

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
USA
Be aware the Apple Care is looking at this thread. I just spoke to them and I'm getting my FREE bumper soon.

Please don't mention about this conversation.

MacYuv

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Sorry to disappoint you but they are sending me a free bumper. I didn't even ask for one or speak to a supervisor. The entire conversation lasted less than 5 minutes. Not sure why some are denied this and others are offered them without hassle. Here's my confirmation email. I erased all the case numbers and such. Call me paranoid...

appleemail.jpg

Haha. Dude you are not disappointing me if you are getting a free case. Good for you. They should let all of us get a free case. Whatever, I just bought a $32 case for "free" by paying only $3.50 shipping at http://dealnews.com/Apple-i-Phone-4-Cases-for-free-4-s-h/373013.html

Thanks for showing the proof.

jmitch150

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Boston, MA
You think copying an e-mail is proof? Anybody can write anything they want and claim it was from anywhere.

Ok and your point is? I'm just trying to offer advice to people. I can take a screen shot too if you would like. God for bid I don't please you.

BiomaxDDS

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2009
just talked to 2 apple employees
1. rep told me to go out buy a case that would be a temporary fix for the issue on the signal
2. supervisor told me getting a case to temporarily fix the issue is not what apple is saying (even though the rep just told me that 5 mins before). so he pretty much just told me to sit here and continue to have the calls dropped until apple comes out with fix.

for those people that want to tell me hold it differently. more than 80% of my calls have been dropped since wed. My call was dropped earlier with apple tech while it was sitting on the desk with headset

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
just talked to 2 apple employees
1. rep told me to go out buy a case that would be a temporary fix for the issue on the signal
2. supervisor told me getting a case to temporarily fix the issue is not what apple is saying (even though the rep just told me that 5 mins before). so he pretty much just told me to sit here and continue to have the calls dropped until apple comes out with fix.

for those people that want to tell me hold it differently. more than 80% of my calls have been dropped since wed. My call was dropped earlier with apple tech while it was sitting on the desk with headset

1800-676-2775

Try that number. Not my rep number but a different number I called first time instead of my-apple.

Be nice. Yet firm and persistent.

Hopefully this weeks upgrade fixes it as well.

SIUGRAD99

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Just spoke with Applecare and they offered me my choice of color and are sending a free bumper. They said Black & White will ship quicker than the other "Easter" colors :)

iphoneZ

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
He then said that even though it's a hardware issue, the engineering department are working on a software fix for next week.

ie. they are patching over the bars, and the fatal design flaw cannot be fixed, but jobs does not care bc it looks pretty. gg apple.

aajad

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Just got off the phone and they are sending me a black one. No charge. No problem whatsoever. Just be polite. Initial CS person sent me to a supervisor who gave me his direct number to call if there were any problems.

disneygirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I called this morning and spoke to a rep who told me to put it in a case or put tape over the edge. I told him that was unacceptable. He transferred me to a supervisor.

She told me that Apple is working on the problem and that I should not put tape on my phone. She did admit that some people are having luck by putting it into a case but that she could not send me anything to fix the problem because "the retention people are not in until Monday"

She then told me that I could put the phone in my pocket or purse and just use the earphones that it came with. I actually laughed at her and asked her if she was serious. She said that would be a temporary fix until Apple can fix the problem. She did say that if I wanted to call back Monday that the retention people could help me. I told her that I just wanted a working phone without having to spend more money. I am so frustrated with Apple. No matter how I hold my phone I keep getting calls dropped.

Bluestrike2

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
ie. they are patching over the bars, and the fatal design flaw cannot be fixed, but jobs does not care bc it looks pretty. gg apple.

Bit of a ridiculous assumption ;). For starters, it'd only magnify the PR disaster. Regardless, I find it amusing how downright fast we jump to the worst possible conclusions. Always.

MacYuv

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Just got off the phone and they are sending me a black one. No charge. No problem whatsoever. Just be polite. Initial CS person sent me to a supervisor who gave me his direct number to call if there were any problems.

It's not like people who aren't getting the cases are NOT polite. I was perfectly polite. I think some supervisors are more empathetic than others and if you get lucky you speak to one that is more willing to give a case or something. It's completely unfair if some people are getting cases and others aren't IMO. But whatever, like I said earlier, bought a $32 case for just paying shipping

http://dealnews.com/Apple-i-Phone-4-Cases-for-free-4-s-h/373013.html

Awesome deal and I won't have that ugly apple case! :)

jerry333

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2005
Apple Care rep just told me that cases make the problem worse

That's just not true. If I put my hand over the bare metal signal drops almost instantly--and speedtest won't connect either. Using the same case that I used for my original iPhone (with some field engineering) it never drops or even goes down. I've repeated this maybe two dozen times today.

KGWVU

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Awesome deal and I won't have that ugly apple case! :)

Sour grapes much?

This is the same case you have been whining about not getting on here and incessantly refreshing your browser trying to get somebody to somehow help you get one through AppleCare. Pathetic.

jerry333

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2005
Left or right

What I don't understand is the left vs. right-handedness. If you're right handed isn't it more natural to hold the phone in your left hand so you can jot down notes, press the buttons, or swipe the screen with your dominant hand?

I'm right handed, and I can't think of a time when I've held a phone in my right hand--totally unnatural.

imisplacedmine

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
I just got off the phone with 1-800-MY-IPHONE

The first time I called they just wanted to set me up with a apple store genius appointment, so I said no thanks and got off the phone. I called back and the second rep was super nice and helpful. After 15 mins of talking with people he said that there wasn't any bump case compensation. I asked if he would talk with a supervisor again. The supervisor actually got on the phone with me and asked if I was wanting a discount on a case. As we were talking my phone dropped the call. He called me back and asked for my address and said he was shipping me a black bumper case.

Very nice surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.