Apple Begins Refunding Lion Overcharges

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2011.

1. cmaier macrumors G4

So Gates is a better man than Jobs because he publicizes his charity?

2. gnasher729, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Total nonsense. If I buy one copy of Lion, and Apple charges for 122 copies, then anything that happens as a consequence is solely Apple's fault.

If you think so. I think that Bill Gates has so much more money than he can possibly spend that he can afford to give some away to buy himself a reputation, and apparently he has nothing better to do with his time.

It seems a bit confusing what _exactly_ happened. It's obviously in Paypal's power to make a bad situation worse.

3. Kane08 macrumors member

it will show up, but it shows up as a pending transaction that has yet to clear your account. it can still take days, sometimes weeks, for the credit card companies/banks and the merchant you purchased from to actually process the transaction.

Refunds, likewise take time to process because they have to research their records on their end, try to figure out exactly what happened, and then transfer the necessary funds, which goes back to my first point of processing transactions.

My wife works in the book keeping dept of a large bank, so I hear every day how frustrating it is that nobody does anything within the deadlines

4. jasonxneo macrumors regular

jasonxneo

luck dude

they gave him lion for free and a macbook pro for free for the inconvenience

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well the correct thing Apple should of done and I am assuming they have done is refund the guy and then it is Apple problem to figure out who screwed up and if it was Pay Pal Apple gets their money from Pay pal.

There is no getting around the fact Jobs is an ass. Great business man and marketer but when it comes to be a good human-being Jobs is ranked pretty low. He does not really give back at all. Does not help that one of the first things Jobs did when he came back to Apple was kill all the corporate philanthropy with the promise to bring it back when Apple was doing better and now when Apple has been doing great it has still not been brought back.

6. DroidRules macrumors 65816

You're not the only one that understands this....You're the only one pompous enough to think his way is the correct way to engage in online commerce.

7. csjo00 macrumors regular

Ugh.. Apple is refunding my money now.. I'm complaining because I've gone through enough grief from my bank, and PayPal and I've just now gotten it all worked out. :mad:

8. Lennholm macrumors 6502a

Well, you said it was his fault ALSO. Whatever, let's leave it at that.

So we should just assume Jobs gives money to charity? The man who cancelled all of Apples philanthropy work to save money when they were close to bankruptcy and never reinstated it even though they now have become one of the most profitable company in the US?

Yeah, Jobs is probably so strapped for cash that he simply can't afford to give some to charity. The MS hate has really gone way to far when you even stretch to find some sinister alterior motive behind charity.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Cause everyone has a credit card or can get one...

I for years could not get a credit card cause some one stole my ID (I found out when my own credit card cancelled me, they weren't even affected but got freaked out by my credit report that said I had 15 cards I hadn't paid and 50k worth of debt).

So yeah, I used my debit card to buy stuff online cause that's what I had.

Honestly, for just a few overcharges, I'd say yeah, all the person should get back is the money. Maybe a small gift card as a sorry for the trouble. But when they overcharged him 4k for a 30 dollar purchase, yeah, I think they should have offered something for at least that guy's trouble.

10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Contradict yourself much?

11. Frisco macrumors 68020

Apple's fault is obvious. Dump their stock now before Samsung/Android take over.

It's the same situation when Apple refused to license their OS. When will Jobs ever learn it's all about the software----stupid!

If I had Apple stock I would drop it like a stack of bricks.

12. Kane08 macrumors member

where to start...
    First, from all news reports this seems to be a software glitch on Apple and/or PayPal's part, but Apple is immediately addressing the problem for individuals and even coverings fees garnered because of it. So to insinuate that this is intentional greed and personally Steve Job's doing is absolutely asinine.

Second, while I applaud all charity and would never belittle anyone's giving, lets actually take a look at Mr. Gates donation. While definitely a great gift, it doesn't even represent one sixth of how much stock he holds, let alone his actual net worth. Do the math, and its less than 4% of his net worth. like I said, great gift, and I'm positive his intentions are noble, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking this is sacrificial giving.

Lastly, to you are just blindly assuming that Steve Jobs does no giving what so ever because he doesn't publicly announce it in a "look how great I am" way. You know what they say about assuming...

13. winston1236 macrumors 68000

wow i would be hiring a lawyer and getting much more than just a refund

14. aughsum, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

aughsum Guest

No cases of this happening through apple/cc - paypal only.

I don't personally have feelings for paypal one way or the other, but I think it's more likely this asshat clicked buy 122 times than what people are assuming. In the original article he said his Internet connection was having problems and he had to attempt to download the software multiple times.

It is always the users fault. Always.

15. kvnkvnkvn macrumors member

Everybody doesn't have creditcard and even if they do it is not his fault.

I didnt have any creditcards in the past and have used Paypal to purchase things online for years.

16. Detrius macrumors 68000

I got charged a second time for OS X server along with Lion. I didn't have a paypal account tied to my Apple ID. When I went to upgrade from SL Server, it said I had to buy both, and then it charged me, even though I'd already paid.

17. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'd send it back.

18. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

With that amount, I think an iPod touch would be a viable compensation.

19. Bolo4u macrumors member

Did your $1.12 overcharge result in having several thousand dollars withdrawn from your account, just days before your principal bills (mortgage/rent, car payment, other loan payment... etc.) are due, then have to wait anxiously hoping said funds would be returned? No it's didn't... My situation albeit not to this level, resulted in nearly $475 (total between the 8 errant charges, then 8 overdraft charges, +1 overdraft for an unrelated bill being paid) withdrawn from my account. It started on July 20... Despite several Phone calls to PayPal, Apple CR, and my bank, including a couple of conference calls, and several verification emails (including one identical to the front page of this article) the funds STILL have not been returned.

So before you go piping off about how insignificant your $1.12 overage was, and we should all just move along, think that those in our shoes have dealt with a lot of stress and frustration because of a 'glitch'. Yes the money is removed "immediately" via electronic transfer, but the refunds may as well be tied to a carrier pigeon coming from Europe in a headwind.

Enjoy your bananas...:rolleyes:

20. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

That seems wildly disproportionate. $2000 in gifts for holding onto the guys $4000 for a couple of weeks??? That'a maybe $10 in lost interest. As the guy said, Apple paid all his fees plus a little extra to cover any fees that haven't shown up yet. I think an additional iTunes gift card would be a nice thing; it could be that something like that is on the way as well, as it is unlikely we are getting the entire story here.

21. Illumination macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Surely you're joking. You realize that isn't possible, right?

22. cmaier macrumors G4

I still don't see how this is news. People are overcharged every day for stuff. I once bought a house and had the bank lose $200,000 of my money for 4 days. They found it. It was not the front page news in my local paper.

You're argument is a strawman - I never said it wasn't a big deal TO THE PERSON WHO IS OVERCHARGED - my point clearly was that THIS IS NOT NEWS.

23. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

nope - I got charged 9 times - paid direct to my credit card - paypal not involved.

24. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

You're talking about Mac "Any random **** gets on the front page" Rumors. Learn to live with it. I have.

25. CFreymarc Suspended

Apple is good about handling stuff like this. I woe for the back end investigation on this one.

Whenever you see "accidental" overcharges on accounts, there is a very well set investigation procedure to see if anyone profited from this. While, Apple will refund their money, you need to audit the transaction chain and mostly the merchant account provider to see if any extra code or scripts were changed to cause this.

Auditing transaction switch code has become a forensic science since outsourced engineers have had access to this code. Funneling less than a cent each of millions of transactions into peer-to-peer transaction engines is a current trend.

Good hunting boys!