Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Then release the numbers Tim. What are you afraid of?
Afraid of giving information to competitors.
[doublepost=1547033145][/doublepost]
Crazy the XR 64GB costs over $1,000 in Italy.

That money could certainly buy a lot of bologna.

It doesn't cost dollars in Italy. It costs Euros. And it includes VAT (not included in US prices), and it includes the cost of much better consumer rights (not included in US prices).
[doublepost=1547033268][/doublepost]
This is total bs. Just last month on black friday Apple betrayed customers in Germany by charging for gift cards that were offered for free when buying a specific product. Apple is rolling out more and more perfidious methods.
What actually happened was that instead of getting money off the normal product price, you paid the full product price and got a gift card. You can look at it as paying a reduced product price and paying for a gift card, but that's just your view. No betrayal happened. Nobody felt betrayed unless they are exceedingly bad at maths.
[doublepost=1547033324][/doublepost]
i really don't understand why you switched from X to XR and call it the best decision.
The XR has a bigger screen.
[doublepost=1547033620][/doublepost]
Ah, so it is the XS and XS Max that are flops then? Who would have guessed that by raising prices you would sell less of a device. I guess as long as the price rise covers the loss in sales, Apple will be fine.
What actually happens is that upgrade cycles take longer (everywhere in the industry), so someone who bought a new phone every two years may now buy one every four years. Because of that, people can buy more expensive phones, but they will buy only half as many. That's why the $29 battery replacement did cost Apple money that Apple will make back in the long term: Many of these replacements show that a phone can last a long time, so you can buy an expensive phone.

Reactions: Gasu E.

symphony1010

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
I bought an XS for my wife. Her last phone was a 5. She's thrilled with the new one despite concerns about size initially. You can tell that she's had no need to upgrade for many years so the cost of the new one is offset by how long she is likely to keep it.

The cameras are the killer features for her and many others moving up from old devices.

All the talk about price, where Apple is going, whatever are immaterial to her. She simply has the most phenomenal phone that works and has developed no faults of any kind.

It's our feeling that Apple may indeed learn and change pricing or features but what we wouldn't want is to be short-changed on quality which the XS has in abundance. I have also set up an XR for someone else which they are equally happy with. That's it.

Reactions: George Dawes

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The XR is probably fine at $749, but I really do think the XR would be greatly benefited by a more reasonable contextual pricing scheme—how about a XR mini at $649, a XS at $899, and a XS Max at $999. That is a much more attractive lineup. How about a name overhaul, while we're at it. iPhone mini, iPhone, iPhone X, and iPhone X Plus.
Apple sells an XR mini - it is called the 7s. For much less than $649, actually.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I missed the comedy show last night. If Tim don't want to provide the figures of units sold, he should have kept his mouth shut. All he had to do is just talk about the products and kept the financials out.

When Tim said privacy is very important to him and holds that dearly, that includes not releasing Apple numbers of units sold.

I’m in that statistic who kept their 6s after getting a new battery for $29.00 heck why not? Works as fast as when I first bought it.

I plan to upgrade when Apple gets rid of that notch which from all the recent news articles seems will happen very soon.
I still have my 6 and changed the battery too. There is nothing wrong with it and does everything I need it for and so far nothing have enticed me to upgrade, even with trade-in or the big gift card offer from this past holiday.

I'd go for a nice mortadella, hot salami, buffalo milk mozzarella, garden tomato and basil sandwich right about now.
Don't forget proscuitto !

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
I think the biggest competitor for the XR is the X. At least in Europe you can get the X for less than the XR, which makes it really hard to justify the price tag on the XR. So, unless one wants certains specific features of the XR (color, dual sim, LCD-only screen for whatever reason), the X is likely the better deal. I assume that's the case in many other countries...

Reactions: Kram Sacul

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Tim your core customer base has been far from "happy" since 2012, apparently you still haven't noticed it / don't care, this is also impacting your mobile sales, you may live off iOS consumers but not forever.

Last edited:

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
As an iPhone 8 owner (from just 1 year ago) my $1000 phone feels somewhat antiquated already.

Really however, if I was looking for a "low" cost alternative today, its a great value as is the iPhone 10.

I think there is one of three issues at play for Apple.

1. The flagship phone costs too much.
2. The lower cost alternative such as the XR doesn't feel like much of a savings when you can buy last years flagship instead.
3. The phones are lasting longer. People can hold on to their phones for more than 2 years.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
A phone can be both the top selling phone in the company's lineup and disappointing relative to expectations at the same time

It is hard to really tell apart any of the X model phones (including the Max when it is in someone's hand), but I haven't consciously seen many XR phones in the wild here in NYC. Overall X model phones are still a minority compared to other iPhones.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I want to believe him, but I still haven't seen anyone in the wild with one. I'm in a big city and out and about frequently. I've ALWAYS seen new iPhone models in peoples hands within a week to a month.

These things must be in cases.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It’s great. I’m impressed by it. You still get quality portrait shots with the rear camera. You just can’t take rear camera portrait shots of non humans unfortunately though.

Any thoughts on the Smart HDR feature, where it can handle highlight and shadow areas better simultaneously in contrasty situations, though multiple exposures and sophisticated processing? That's what I'm looking forward to as reports claim it is far better on the Xr

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Yes in fact you have. If you been spelling it that way.

Doesn’t look like a sausage to me

81A930EE-3234-4BCB-87E1-79861FD10023.jpeg

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
"Now, the best phones, we knew that, as we went to the X and then the follow-on of the XS and the XS Max, that everybody would not want to spend $1,000 for the phone. So we made the iPhone XR."

Yeah except its still over 1000$ in Canada.

1000$ for a rectangle that doesn't do anything meaningful that a 500$ rectangle can't do.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

No one releases their numbers of units sold. It's about revenue, and utlimately profit and that is what Apple just gave us updated guidance on and soon we will have the actual numbers, but it looks like this is going to be the second highest revenue quarter ever despite the impact from the China slowdown.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
It took a couple of years, but Tim Cook has proven to be a huge boner. I'm really worried about Apple.

Yes, all he has done is make Apple the leading company in nearly every category they've entered and set all time WORLD revenue records, and bring Apple to one of the most valuable companies in the world. Here's a just a few of his successes"

1- Apple Watch- Apple now is the leading watch maker in the entire world. Regarding smart watches, Apple Watch owns so much of the category, they are the category!
2- iPhone- Apple is now selling close to a quarter of a billion phones every year! Most importantly, Apple now has almost all of the ENTIRE INDUSTRY profits for smart phones.
3- iPad - Again, Apple owns the vast majority of the entire industry tablets and has no serious competition for sales in the non-junk category of tablets.
4- Apple Music - From zero to #2 in the entire world and now #1 in US.
6- Wireless audio- Apple is now number one in the entire world in wireless sales thanks to AirPods and Beats line.. Beats purchase was ingenious as Apple has the majority of premium headphone market (>$200) and has huge profit margins.
7- Services- Under Tim, Apple has become one the largest services company in the entire world and Apple Services alone dwarfs Facebook's TOTAL revenue.

OK, I'll let up on the gas and stop there. But no, Tim Cook is still your CEO and isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: robbyx and Easttime

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Yes, all he has done is make Apple the leading company in nearly every category they've entered and set all time WORLD revenue records, and bring Apple to one of the most valuable companies in the world. Here's a just a few of his successes"

1- Apple Watch- Apple now is the leading watch maker in the entire world. Regarding smart watches, Apple Watch owns so much of the category, they are the category!
2- iPhone- Apple is now selling close to a quarter of a billion phones every year! Most importantly, Apple now has almost all of the ENTIRE INDUSTRY profits for smart phones.
3- iPad - Again, Apple owns the vast majority of the entire industry tablets and has no serious competition for sales in the non-junk category of tablets.
4- Apple Music - From zero to #2 in the entire world and now #1 in US.
6- Wireless audio- Apple is now number one in the entire world in wireless sales thanks to AirPods and Beats line.. Beats purchase was ingenious as Apple has the majority of premium headphone market (>$200) and has huge profit margins.
7- Services- Under Tim, Apple has become one the largest services company in the entire world and Apple Services alone dwarfs Facebook's TOTAL revenue.

OK, I'll let up on the gas and stop there. But no, Tim Cook is still your CEO and isn't going anywhere.

You missed 8- the Kool-Aid army

Reactions: iSilas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.