Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY

While Cook hosted a fundraiser for Ryan, Apple elected not to support the 2016 Republican Convention in Cleveland due to some of presidential nominee Donald Trump's controversial statements on the subjects of minorities, women, and immigrants.

For those who've actually been paying attention to Trump's comments (and not what is filtered through the various media outlets), the vast majority of what he has said to date hasn't been controversial.

Funny that Cook supports Ryan though; Trump's convention was, by far, the most diverse in terms of speaker roster, delegates, and audience out of any RNC convention to date- including Romney and Ryan's in 2012.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Wb5Tsw9.png

Please, Timmy, stay away from politics. Specially from that lying b****.

* I'm not voting for Trump either.

Why don't you stay out of politics? Since he's holding this as a private citizen and not as a representative of Apple the company doesn't have anything to do with this. Tim Cook and Apple may be one and the same in many people's minds but legally that is not the case.

The same way you don't represent whoever you work for when you made the statement above.

Reactions: iKrl and CarlJ

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Why don't you stay out of politics? Since he's holding this as a private citizen and not as a representative of Apple the company doesn't have anything to do with this. Tim Cook and Apple may be one and the same in many people's minds but legally that is not the case.

The same way you don't represent whoever you work for when you made the statement above.

When is your next stand up comedy performance, near me? You're good.

Reactions: jmpage2 and maxsix

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008

He's a public figure. It's like journalism; you should present facts and not pick sides. He's endorsing Hillary.

As for me, my boss thinks I'm working.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sigh…this is going to be the first time I've ever voted democrat, and hopefully the last. I usually vote for moderate republicans or third party candidates. But this time is different. Trump must be stopped. He cannot be allowed to represent American ideas to the world.

This election sucks. I hope voting for Clinton doesn't give me PTSD. The U.S. is so messed up right now.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
Oh dear, Tim is hooking up with organised crime.

Nobody Knows Who’s Paying for the Privately Funded Democratic National Convention we have at least two names now.

“Gulen-Gate” Islamic Terrorists Descending on the Democratic National Convention

Invited as a guest to the 2016 Democratic National Convention is none other than Kadri Veseli, the Speaker of the Kosovo Assembly.

Veseli is a former Kosovar Albanian leader of the KLA and its spy organization SHIK. He’s being indicted along with the current president of Kosovo, Hashim Thaci for small things like organ trafficking and crimes against humanity.

What is Fethullah Gülen?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
He's a public figure. It's like journalism; you should present facts and not pick sides. He's endorsing Hillary.

As for me, my boss thinks I'm working.

Tim Cook is not a journalist and does not have the moral obligation to be impartial. He is indeed a public figure, but so is Hilary Clinton, Donald Trump and Mel Gibson. All are entitled to state their political views if they wish.

Besides, Cook recently met with Paul Ryan so it would appear he's playing both sides anyway.

Reactions: CarlJ

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Why can't he just concentrate on business?

Because he doesn't care about Apple.

All he cares about is money and getting as rich as possible. The evidence has been building up over the past five years. The Mac has been abandoned. Hardware in general has been neglected. He has made it a priority to turn Apple into a soapbox for his political agenda, something which has nothing to do with Apple, and only serves to detract focus from the lack of innovation at Apple.

If he really cares about the future of Apple, he should come here to MacRumors and post a response to my post. Convince me that Steve Jobs didn't make a terrible mistake, Tim. I'm here to listen.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Good for Tim. Can we at least get a special edition Hilary watch band? I would be fine as long as it is not exclusive for an Apple store in Brazil.

No, it's like Pokeman - gotta buy 'em all:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ndraiser-for-house-speaker-paul-ryan.1978872/

:p
[doublepost=1469816755][/doublepost]
Because he doesn't care about Apple.

All he cares about is money and getting as rich as possible. The evidence has been building up over the past five years. The Mac has been abandoned. Hardware in general has been neglected. He has made it a priority to turn Apple into a soapbox for his political agenda, something which has nothing to do with Apple, and only serves to detract focus from the lack of innovation at Apple.

If he really cares about the future of Apple, he should come here to MacRumors and post a response to my post. Convince me that Steve Jobs didn't make a terrible mistake, Tim. I'm here to listen.

I think he cares enough about the iPad and iPhone, but the Mac has been neglected. Of course, asking the Hackintosh people, who will say otherwise because OSX continues to get harder to break. It's better to buy a proper MacBook to begin with, but if the line has been given second fiddle status then staying with Windows or Linux would then be best, I suppose. :(

As for any personal agenda, the Republicans he won't throw dinners for asked him not unreasonable questions about double standards. Maybe they thought he is promoting agenda more than product?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Hillary has "raised" almost 400 million to date. She is going to use it to help needy kids because she is a democrat and that is what she cares about.

Oh, wait.. You mean she is not donating it to the poor, the hungry? You mean she is spending it on herself to gain power? That can't be!

These are political donations, not personal ones. And she could not legally donate them for a purpose other than that for which they are donated to her. So your snark is misplaced.

I have been a supporter of Sec. Clinton for many years. She is a genuinely good person who I believe will make a fine president. For that reason, I am happy to see this news. But for those who disagree, this is Tim Cook's personal fundraiser, not Apple's.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
For those who've actually been paying attention to Trump's comments (and not what is filtered through the various media outlets), the vast majority of what he has said to date hasn't been controversial.

Funny that Cook supports Ryan though; Trump's convention was, by far, the most diverse in terms of speaker roster, delegates, and audience out of any RNC convention to date- including Romney and Ryan's in 2012.
How is calling for a foreign country to hack a presidential nominee not controversial?! Everything he says is controversial.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
How does this even affect you?

This election is happening and Tim chose a side.
Are you a Trump supporter?

Um, look up Apple doing things for that big-time liberal Paul Ryan. Note Ryan is not a liberal. He's playing both sides.

And, as customers or employees or otherwise, um, yes, it does affect the person you referred to and everyone else who uses Apple's products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.