Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'You Will See Us Do More in the Pro Area'

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
"You will see us do more in the pro area," Cook said. "The pro area is very important to us. The creative area is very important to us in particular."

One thing I learned about corporate-speak - if a company valued its employees, it wouldn't have to say how much it valued them. Similarly, if the pro/creative area is so important to Apple, it wouldn't be necessary to say that it is, it should be evident from their products and their timely updates.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I think Apple has already lost a substantial share of this market (one which probably is not as profitable as other shares.) Obviously they won't say, "we don't care about these Users" - but if a certain cohort of Users bring in a smaller profit than another, then priorities have to be established, and someone is going to lose out. I don't blame Apple for making financial decisions - but if that is the case, I wish they would be more frank about it.

I'm not hopeful for the future of the Mac Pro. I feel that if the Mac Pro had a certain future, it would have been referenced by name unless Apple is so blind to the doubt so many people have in its refresh (and consequently are buying non-Apple hardware). The iMac faces stiff competition from the Surface Studio, and the Mac Pro faces stiff competition from low-cost workstations with superior performance (and expandability) at a lower price.

Further, if Apple released a Mac Pro with soldered RAM and SSD, would consumers buy it? For a $5,000-$12,000 investment, that might be hard to swallow...

Last edited:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Please, please, please, keep them separate. The Mac OS has already had some crappy changes to make it more iOS like, such as iTunes. I would hate to see the two merge.
Cook just gave the clearest, most coherent statement that iOS and Macs will never merge, but it will fall on deaf ears here.

Reactions: JimW47

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I understand the word "pro" can be interpreted different ways and that many people who might be described as professionals can get by without a 12+ core Mac Pro or without a wicked fast MacBook with 32 GB+ RAM, but the meaning of the word "pro" has become entirely meaningless under Tim Cook's reign. I've heard nothing the least bit assuring to actual professional users who do need those things.

I defended Tim Cook for a long time, but I've turned on him and I now believe he has poisoned Apple as a company providing for high-end users. The great engineers at Apple who worked on those products are either pulled away to work on iOS devices or they'll simply leave the company to work on other things. It's probably too late for them to turn back at this point.

KittyKatta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
2003 PowerMac 7,2
2004 PowerMac 7,3
2004 PowerMac 9,1
2005 PowerMac 7,3 update
2005 PowerMac 11,2
2006 Mac Pro 1,1
2007 Mac Pro 2,1
2008 Mac Pro 3,1
2009 Mac Pro 4,1
2010 Mac Pro 5,1
2013 Mac Pro 6,1

going back further, between 1999 and 2002, 5 updates to the Powermac G4
Wow. Cool list of upgradable Macs that could easily have their life extended with an affordable part swap.

Anyway. What was the topic again? Oh yeah. New Pro machines.

ioxa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Why did you ever slow down in the "pro area", Tim?
believe it or not, its cause they never figured out how to put a gtx 970m into a mini format, but we'll prolly get one this year, -with amd stuff, quit being pissy

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Wow. Cool list of upgradable Macs that could easily have their life extended with an affordable part swap.

He was responding to someone else who said desktops were rarely updated when Jobs was in charge. As his post clearly indicates, desktops were regularly updated while Jobs was in charge.

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012

Pssst, hey. Unless I completely misinterpreted @thats all folks' post, I think he wasn't defending Apple at at all. I think his post was actually a rebuttal to someone that was defending Apple. ;)

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
He said something and does the oposite. But if he said that the Pro area in important starting today, in that case I believe him.

Reactions: amegicfox