Apple Claims TSMC vs Samsung A9 Chip Variants Result in Only 2-3% Difference in 'Real World' Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 8, 2015.

1. samsveds macrumors newbie

samsveds

#ChipGate needs to become a thing. Think about it. Tech sites as of late are voicing the same opinion as consumers have for a long time; battery life. This is great, and a push in the right direction. If the general public outside of techies become aware of this Apple will need to address it down the line as they like their high customer satisfaction. I believe BendGate had a part in Apple improving the casing. And so, maybe, just maybe, battery could become the focus for Apple in the future if it gets enough ground.

iPhone 7
    2 day battery life
    Believe

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The difference in tests were wht, something like 20%? I am generally all about putting Apple in the hot seat but I just can't imagine this isn't something that was thoroughly tested. Some variance is expected, but 20% is ludicrous. Not only were the tests only done on two devices (the tests that I am aware of which made healdines here) but they were of the phone going full bore. How often does one push their phone to the max from full to dead?

3. mjcxp macrumors regular

What else are they going to say? The Samsung chip sucks and we are recalling twenty million iPhones. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

4. sigma7 macrumors regular

sigma7

5. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

Sorry, unless you are a perfect perfectionist, this is totally a non-issue. Why torture your mind with such a fifth world problem? Every manufactures knows variant within 3% products is acceptable.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I don't think they should've responded. This wasn't really a "gate" but with Apple responding is just going to get attention it didn't have.

7. mkimid macrumors member

mkimid

1. Change your holding method of phone - ANT Gate - Finally they offer the case
    2. Do not put your phone into your pocket - Bend Gate - Finally they replace the bent phone
    3. Do not use in heavy load such as 3D graphic game or 4K video - Chip Gate - How ? Software Updarte for more throttling ? hmm...

8. mjcxp macrumors regular

I wonder if they responded because they knew further tests would show there is a major difference between the chips. Apple can now say that this is not a realistic test because it is using the CPU at 100% which is unrealistic in daily use.

9. mkimid macrumors member

mkimid

I do not think GeekBench use 100% of Load if consider the graphic processor also, especially, when I was playing game such as IB 3, the battery can not standing longer then 3 hours, at least, I hope somebody anonce the test result with the battery life in game or 4k video

10. groovyd Suspended

groovyd

good chance all the iphones for sale on ebay are samsung processors, buyer beware.

11. acorntoy macrumors 65816

That could be VERY related, cell phones use more power with a weak signal, constantly trying to find a better one, and on top of that when you actually use the lesser signal it'll chew right through the battery as well.

12. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I REALLY hope so If this causes people to panic ( because we all know it will ) I'll be a happy owner of a cheap Sammy 6S+, I was content with their 5S/before processors and content with the tsmc 6+/Air 2 processors, either way I don't see why people are flipping out.

13. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

So the annual iPhone bashing contest has actually blown up in Samsung's face this time. There's something so poetic about this that I really want to believe somebody's orchestrated it on purpose.

14. enzo8e4, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

enzo8e4 macrumors newbie

enzo8e4

What a bad business decision

I think Steve Jobs can't tolerate this issue

Samsung's A9 chip is cheap than TSMC

APPLE pay the quality and honour to get the cash.

15. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

Tmc chip has a Higher nanometer count. Throttling kicks in quicker. A throttled processor will use less energy than one running at max capacity.

16. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

I wouldn't call a ~1h30 extra battery life on the TSMC a small difference...

17. Straight Meta macrumors newbie

They had to, if they did not want to risk thousands of iPhones to be sent back and re-ordered.

18. modemthug macrumors regular

Apple is good at spin, but they're not deceptive. I'm inclined to believe what they say.

19. firewood macrumors 604

Video decoding doesn't use very much CPU or GPU power, so is not the best way to test A9 performance.

Maybe the iPhones with TSMC chips seem to have better battery life because they are throttling the CPU to a lower clock rate or throttling down a higher percentage of the time? If so, which might people prefer?

In any case, until more stats are in, we still don't if there is more variation within each vendors chips or between the two vendors.

20. acorntoy, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

acorntoy macrumors 65816

It isn't. Which is why Apple released a statement saying it was unrealistic and wouldn't be that way in real world usage.

Are you actually suggesting that a multi billion dollar tech company producing some of the most scrutinized gadgets out there actually did its homework? Ridiculous.

21. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Not likely. After the 6/6S, even a turd will look great.

22. ee4life macrumors regular

How about adding a little engineering humor? Since the concern is about battery drain from parts sourced from different suppliers...

SOURCE-DRAIN-GATE!

* crickets *

I'll be here all night, folks!

23. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

I have the TSMC 6s.

Hopefully for people with the Samsung chip they can fix it with firmware.

24. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

Sweet, I got one in mine... #relieved... :)