Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Great, so they basically admitted that the last generation had problems with debris ingestion that was solved or atleast mitigated with the 2018 MBP - BUT - us with last years model are sorely stuck with the crappier design, even if we get a free service at any Apple store, we still only get another one of the crappier design that in time also most likely will fail.

I feel so great being stuck with a 2017 fully loaded MBP with several keys not working and the B key repeating 2-3 presses with every press.

Sure, things get updated and improved all the time but leaving us stranded on an isolated island when there is solution to the problem is kinda crappy
Honestly, Apple should not swap the keyboard out for another that will fail and instead just swap the machine out to the 2018 version. They claim that it only affected a very small number of the previous models - so they would only have to replace a very small number. Oh wait, they are lying and don't want to replace everyone's, because they will all fail.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
There are so many people here demanding that apple admit wrong doing with their keyboard. I don’t understand all this moral indignation. It is pathetic to be so fragile that you NEED an apology. All computer components will eventually fail, and keyboards are no different. Does anyone actually know the numbers? Did the failure rate of the keyboard go up a few percentage points or something actually significant? I suspect that a lot of this anecdotal evidence is being magnified by the vitriol people have for the feel of the butterfly switch. You have other options. If you dont like the butterfly switch buy any of the hundreds of other laptops that have a scissor switch. And if you purchased a macbook and the keyboard fails apple will fix it free of charge, i.e your life is not over.

Appleinsider gathered some reasonably good figures from Genius bars and 3rd party repair shops. The sample isn’t huge but the numbers are interesting. 2016’s had twice as many keyboard service as events as 2015’s. 2017’s improved on that but were still up on 2015’s.

https://forums.appleinsider.com/dis...s-failing-twice-as-frequently-as-older-models

goaliefight

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Boy do I remember that 2016 Keynote where these were introduced & being utterly shocked at the time. Product has been a dumpster fire ever since. (Proud owner of the previous design!)

I have a 2015 MBP too -- AKA the last good MBP. The butterfly keyboard is a disaster and I refuse to buy in -- even with the new key condoms. When my 2015 MBP dies, if they haven't given up on this failed experiment I will have to get a PC.

Zq7r

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
Appleinsider gathered some reasonably good figures from Genius bars and 3rd party repair shops. The sample isn’t huge but the numbers are interesting. 2016’s had twice as many keyboard service as events as 2015’s. 2017’s improved on that but were still up on 2015’s.

https://forums.appleinsider.com/dis...s-failing-twice-as-frequently-as-older-models

Thank you for this. So the failure rates are approximately as follows: 2015 was 6%, 2016 was 12%, and 2017 was 8%. If I owned a 2016 I would be happy that apple was extending my warranty for free. If I owned a 2017 I would lose no sleep over a 2% increase. I really think a lot of this outrage is engineered.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for this. So the failure rates are approximately as follows: 2015 was 6%, 2016 was 12%, and 2017 was 8%. If I owned a 2016 I would be happy that apple was extending my warranty for free. If I owned a 2017 I would lose no sleep over a 2% increase. I really think a lot of this outrage is engineered.

And that's 6%, 12%, 8% of all failures, not of all units in the wild. Actual keyboard failure percentages would be a fraction of that total.

Last edited:

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Let's see:
  • Apple designed a faulty keyboard in order to make the MBP 0.01 mm thinner
  • Apple denied the problem even as data and hard facts proved them otherwise
  • Only after some class action lawsuits went public Apple launched a keyboard replacement program
  • Apple replaces faulty 2016 and 2017 keyboards with the same old faulty designed keyboards that will fail again - it's just a matter of time
  • Apple released a new MBP with a fixed keyboard. This keyboard won't be available to 2016/2017 MBP owners.
  • If you want a working keyboard just spend another 2,400-7,000 USD to buy a new 2018 MBP but please don't do anything more than surfing the web, sending emails or writhing a letter. Otherwise your powerful 6-core MBP will start throttling down to 800 MHz.
Doesn't make the best impression to me :mad:

Thank you! Many on here keep defending Apple when they make horrible decisions. I’m surprised someone hasn’t pointed out to you that share value is up, so nothing is wrong!

zuiram

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2017
The document we're talking about is internal and is for repair centres, although it states that they put a membrane to prevent dust from entering it isn't stating that dust was causing issues, that's a logical conclusion but is not their official position.

If the facts aren't their official position, it would be nice if they clarified that so people can leave the sinking ship, as a trillion dollars aren't too big for the ubiquitous icebergs of facts and reality. If they've looked into it and found that the problem is caused by something else, it would be nice if they shared the facts so we didn't have to rely on the most plausible assumption instead.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
And it might be a good assumption that Apple doesn't quite know either. Any new design of anything is subject to unknown risks - that is normal and it exists in the creation of new things all the time. At least Apple is offering to replace the known faults free of charge.

If I'm buying a laptop - I'm taking a risk on the viability of the OS, the usability of physical ports on that device, the known expected daily battery life - those are risks that a buyer takes, and is responsible for.

A buyer should not be made to bear the risk of issues not common in normal use - broken keyboards, blotchy screens, exploding batteries - these are risks that the manufacturer should own over the reasonable life of the product. If Apple fixed the issue, they'll assume no new risk. Good for them. It should cost them no more or less to extend the repair policy to these new laptops, while at the same time giving new potential buyers confidence. I know this and can speak with great authority here, as I'm one of those potential buyers.

zuiram

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2017
And Apple will replace them again if they break again. Apple's offer to replace your keyboard for free is the best offer you can expect for a design that is flawed and is a tacit admission that the design if flawed. Stop b*tching.

This is not a defense of Apple, they f*cked up, but they're doing something different where most companies would rather charge the consumer for repairs.

Don't know where you live, but where I live, they'd not be permitted to charge for repairs if the device cannot withstand what passes for normal use (e.g. uses other macbooks have no problem with). There's a reasonable expectation you're going to be able to use it like any other machine, without impaired durability, unless they've explicitly stated otherwise, and that means the machine has a defect as far as the law is concerned if this is not the case, and must be fixed free of charge. They're not doing anything they're not (here) already required to by law.

My problem is that it took 2 weeks for this to occur, and unless they have some reasonable explanation for why it happens other than "the same crap that didn't bother any of the 10 other machines you've used in the same way in the same environment messed up our keyboard", I can only expect it will happen again in about the same time. To fix the problem, I have to send them the machine and do without a computer for a couple of weeks at least.

They can keep fixing it, in which case I have the machine 50% of the time until I find some gullible buyer for it and can get a real machine, or they can let me pay a little extra to upgrade to a real machine. Looks like the 2018 models are a real machine if you don't mind extensive throttling, and I don't, really. I'll be underclocking the damn thing as soon as it comes in the door to limit the fan noise, anyway. But that's not on offer, so I can't get a machine that works.

Indelible impression, that's for sure.

thealkimist

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
If I'm buying a laptop - I'm taking a risk on the viability of the OS, the usability of physical ports on that device, the known expected daily battery life - those are risks that a buyer takes, and is responsible for.

A buyer should not be made to bear the risk of issues not common in normal use - broken keyboards, blotchy screens, exploding batteries - these are risks that the manufacturer should own over the reasonable life of the product. If Apple fixed the issue, they'll assume no new risk. Good for them. It should cost them no more or less to extend the repair policy to these new laptops, while at the same time giving new potential buyers confidence. I know this and can speak with great authority here, as I'm one of those potential buyers.

Yes, and they have owned it by offering to replace it for free. Next question.

corebeliefs

Suspended
Dec 28, 2016
I have a 2015 MBP too -- AKA the last good MBP. The butterfly keyboard is a disaster and I refuse to buy in -- even with the new key condoms. When my 2015 MBP dies, if they haven't given up on this failed experiment I will have to get a PC.
Same 2015. Same view. However, I don't think Apple will reverse course with these design decisions. I also don't think Apple will regain trust with those who remember how good the Apple laptop once was. Every decision with the computer line has at least as much bad as good these days, and it's been this way for a while now. I don't think there's any going back. This is Apple now.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
My kb failure was heat related, not debris. At a specific temperature, a number of keys would stop responding altogether. Bad adhesive between the layers, bad switches, and/or bad leads. Who knows.

The replacement kb remains functional as before, it’s been eight months

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
As with any good engineering evaluation, Ive should (but obviously does not) consider the extremes.

If each iteration's release must be thinner and less than the prior (including pixels - not the # of pixels but the different types, i.e., a pretty UIx that's full of intuitive UIx cues), what is the End that's in sight? Thinner until the awful arrives, i.e., a laser projected non-keyboard keyboard?

That would be the iPad, no?

thealkimist

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Don't know where you live, but where I live, they'd not be permitted to charge for repairs if the device cannot withstand what passes for normal use (e.g. uses other macbooks have no problem with). There's a reasonable expectation you're going to be able to use it like any other machine, without impaired durability, unless they've explicitly stated otherwise, and that means the machine has a defect as far as the law is concerned if this is not the case, and must be fixed free of charge. They're not doing anything they're not (here) already required to by law.

My problem is that it took 2 weeks for this to occur, and unless they have some reasonable explanation for why it happens other than "the same crap that didn't bother any of the 10 other machines you've used in the same way in the same environment messed up our keyboard", I can only expect it will happen again in about the same time. To fix the problem, I have to send them the machine and do without a computer for a couple of weeks at least.

They can keep fixing it, in which case I have the machine 50% of the time until I find some gullible buyer for it and can get a real machine, or they can let me pay a little extra to upgrade to a real machine. Looks like the 2018 models are a real machine if you don't mind extensive throttling, and I don't, really. I'll be underclocking the damn thing as soon as it comes in the door to limit the fan noise, anyway. But that's not on offer, so I can't get a machine that works.

Indelible impression, that's for sure.

It would have strengthened your argument if they had denied your eligibility for the repair.
[doublepost=1532035677][/doublepost]
Yes they are replacing it with a keyboard with the same design flaw. Previous question.

Yes, they will replace that too. Discussion is over.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Yes, they will replace that too. Discussion is over.
Yes and they will repeat that again and again until the extended warranty is over. After that the core problem still is not fixed. That discussion wil go on for a long time. If Apple takes responsibility for the core design flaw the discussion may be over. Not earlier.

thealkimist

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Yes and they will repeat that again and again until the extended warranty is over. After that the core problem still is not fixed. That discussion wil go on for a long time. If Apple takes responsibility for the core design flaw the discussion may be over. Not earlier.

That is not how it works with Apple's repair program. They will fix them even out of warranty, as long as they have not deemed it "vintage".

thealkimist

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Inform yourself about this particular repair program. That is exactly how it works.

If what you're saying is true, then yes, that sucks.
[doublepost=1532037395][/doublepost]
Inform yourself about this particular repair program. That is exactly how it works.

You have misread the terms sir. https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

They will repair it up to after 4 years after the purchase. That is beyond the extended warranty of the device, but it is still less than when it would be declared vintage as well depending on the date of purchase.

Reactions: dantroline

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
If what you're saying is true, then yes, that sucks.
[doublepost=1532037395][/doublepost]

You have misread the terms sir. https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

They will repair it up to after 4 years after the purchase. That is beyond the extended warranty of the device, but it is still less than when it would be declared vintage as well depending on the date of purchase.
Aren't you confirming what I stated? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
That is not how it works with Apple's repair program. They will fix them even out of warranty, as long as they have not deemed it "vintage".
So as long as your Mac is not 6 years old despite the fact the consumer spent in excess of $1000.00 on it.

It's Criminal.
[doublepost=1532039315][/doublepost]
They will repair it up to after 4 years after the purchase
4 years is nothing.

I have five Macs - late 2015 21.5" 4k iMac, mid 2011 21.5" iMac, 12" PowerBook G4, PowerMac G4 MDD and a Mac mini G4.

Now whilst I do not expect any of my G4 Macs to receive any support. I do expect some level of support for my mid 2011 21.5" iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.