Apple Delays iPhone 6 Plus Battery Replacements Until March-April Due to Limited Supply

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502

TheShadowKnows!

Dan, I stand corrected with your experiences.

But those are yours, after you "changed many or my families 6 batteries and numerous friends and neighbors." You are now, "semi-professional."

I am speaking of the occasional, one-time and done replacement.

I have done only a pair. And i found it a tad challenging even on the second one.

Just read the comment section on iFixIt where there is a sample of folks where things went South -- specially after trying their own shortcuts.

Let's leave it at this: we just disagree on the level of difficulty for the amateur. No sense beating this to death.

2. Dan Holmstock macrumors member

Dan Holmstock

Oh no worries and I apologize if it seemed like i was picking an argument with you, i was however confused about the DISPLAY seal for an iphone 6 - i thought maybe i left something out - lol, and for the record my 3rd repair involved me puncturing the battery it semi engulfed in flames but i was able to stop it ASAP, think it was an act of GODS help or I have lungs stronger then a Tornado lol

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I agree (yours IS more optimistic than mine). I am suspicious that if this throttling code associated with wearing batteries was secretly inserted, why not other throttling code insertions too? So far, the accused (that has then admitted to the accusation) is offering the excuse that seems to be so readily accepted by all as the whole truth. I'm looking for some objective verification of that, proving the conspiracy theory that would naturally be supported by throttling code wrong... or right. More simply: is there other throttling code in iOS or not?

And I certainly hope that we can all spend just $29 and get near "as new performance" out of older iDevices. In spite of some sentiment griping about even $29, that seems like a bargain to me if it buys "as new performance" in iDevices that are a couple of years old. Getting longer useful life out of older tools is great for consumers rather than them feeling pressed to buy new tools as often as every year or two.

In another thread, I asked whether Apple was going to make the throttling code (user) toggles in iOS much as we can toggle on and off other battery-burning features such as bluetooth, wifi and cellular. Apple could set these "power management" toggles to a (recommended) default and even include a "reset to default" button to put them back to Apple's view of ideal if users have made changes. Apple could also offer warning dialog boxes when changes users have made + wear on the battery is likely to result in less-than-ideal experiences such as sudden shut downs, etc. Personally, I'd like to see that myself, just like I like that I can turn on or off other faster battery-users like bluetooth, wifi & cellular on my iDevices.

If all this is indeed about worn batteries, this whole thing could have been mitigated by building in a few pop ups or similar advising users that a new battery would make their iDevice run X% faster, instead of secretly inserting code that tries to cover that up in the fog of the argument that older devices just naturally run slower... which, by the way, also becomes one of the main reasons for people to lay out the money to buy a brand new one.

4. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

5. Ronlap macrumors regular

Ronlap

I made an appointment at Best Buy through the Apple service web page to have my iPhone 6 battery replaced. They told me that it passed diagnostics, so they could not replace it. Said that Apple has different policies for authorized service centers.

6. ronno, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

ronno macrumors regular

Not true.
    The slowdown is obvious for many people. A 40%-60% slowdown in processor speed - slowing frame rates, launching apps, etc is obvious. I feel the only people saying it is not obvious are the people who have *not actually tried* a throttled phone.

7. laz232 macrumors regular

I noticed the slowdown, but figured it was due to the iOS 10/11 updates at the time.

My battery is good ("green" - according to apple diagnostics test at Apple Store, this week, 83% of full charge capacity). Yet when it goes <60% charge the performance of my SE goes from 2400 on GB4 to 1000 on GB4 and I notice stuttering when scrolling in system Preferences.

IF the battery was "good" in any objective sense then it should be able to deliver the necessary current throughout the discharge cycle.

Thus Apple's criteria for a "good" battery are not relevant to the use case.

8. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

Without knowing how many phones are impacted (remember, 800M of these devices out there) and the fact a new battery fixes it, there is no conspiracy.

9. newyorksole macrumors 68030

You would think for a device that people use pretty much all day everyday that owners would take care of their device or even upgrade more frequently...

Don’t know why people swear by their phone and are using phones that are 3-4+ years old.

Also, if some of you would just set up your old iPhone as new it would run much better.

10. Phonephreak Suspended

Phonephreak

This is Apples problem now. A full recall would be a nightmare. They can’t even supply what they need now. Clearly this is a bigger problem than some want to admit. The fact that supply is out for 2 months Says a lot.

I really believe Apple will end up recalling phones to replace battery’s. I love my Apple toys but this stuff is hard to deal with. Losing credibility in the business world is not good for business. They really need to step up and fix the problem. Then you look good. Like you care about the customer.

11. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

Many years ago I knew an-up-and-coming young Engineer in a multi national company. On his wall of 'Things to Do' was an hand made poster, that simply said Ahead.jpeg That young man (Now very high up in that company) is much respected by me, and many who are still in that company.

In short don't offer anything unless you can fulfil your commitment, once you have planned Ahead.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. Phonephreak Suspended

Phonephreak

so my d**k is bigger :p

13. rootee macrumors regular

rootee

Wrong. I have a 6-month old battery on an iPhone 6 (non plus) with just over 100 cycles, and the throttling starts on my phone as soon as the battery charge dips <90%, and it’s throttled ~20% according to Geekbench. I’ve had this phone since 15’, and I can feel when it slows down, which is then corroborated with a Geekbench measurement, and CPU DasherX.

14. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

That is suspicious.

15. rootee macrumors regular

rootee

It irks me something fierce — now I read that the no-battery-diagnostic-required $29 battery swap only applies to phones that haven’t had previous battery swaps.

Just had an Apple tech diagnose/test my battery, and they tell me it has >90% health/life, so why is it getting throttled if it’s healthy?

16. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

I think you should consider legal options, or join an existing one.

If Apple is throttling after six months and 100 cycles, then what is the purpose of battery replacement?

17. ronno macrumors regular

"OldSchoolMacGuy said:
    You only see the slowdown if your battery is in bad shape. It's also unlikely to be noticed (which is why people didn't realize until all these articles came out). The slowdown would have happened over time, rather than suddenly."

Sounds like OldSchoolMacGuy is making proclamations without ever having tried a throttled phone...

18. rootee macrumors regular

rootee

Excellent question! It’s an Apple battery, serviced at an Apple store, and I’ve requested both a replacement, or a refund of the $50 (I paid the full $79), and they said NOPE to both.

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Sounds to me like they should offer a very generous, one time only, trade-in program to get people on an 8/8+/X, in addition to the battery replacement options.

As with all problems in life, the first necessary step is truly admitting you have one (a problem).

20. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

That would imply throttling occurs on device with perfect batteries, something that just can’t happen if nothing else is wrong. I think you’re one of the handful with defective phones.

Software doesn’t throttle one phone And not another without some logic. The fact there are non throttled iPhone 6 and 6s proves it’s not just Apple slowing down old models.

I think there are some bad batteries somewhere or another hardware issue on SOME phones. 1% or whatever number it is still means a lot affected but doesn’t mean Apple is purposely screwing customers.

Again, this would not be a smart strategy and Apple is not a stupid company. They think longer term than the next upgrade cycle.

21. BGarza macrumors newbie

BGarza

Question, does the iOS throttle the processor speed when the device is plugged in?

22. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

You are completely unequivocally totally and absolutely WRONG!
    because my batteries not ‘in bad shape’ in reality or according to Apples scam battery tests, yet my 6S is throttled...

You quite literally could not be more wrong with your comment.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    Yes. Or won’t let the iPhone run at full speed.

23. Krayzkat, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Krayzkat macrumors 6502

Krayzkat

This is good news if you can wait that long, as all the 'old stock' batteries will be used up and all the new replacement batteries will be actually newly manufactured and haven't been sitting in warehouses for years...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    You mean iPhone 6 ('s) AND NOT iPhone 6S

ps. Also, I haven't seen anyone mention this but obviously now that iPhones over a certain age are having battery issues, this makes their resell value less, hence upgrading to newest iPhone is more expensive as we have to cough up more money to buy the latest version...

24. Mildredop macrumors 68020

It's the iPhone 6s, not the iPhone 6S.

25. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

What, in the world, does a 3 - 4 year old phone not do that a brand new phone does? Animated emojies? I mean, really??? You MUST work for apple or own stock to make a statement like that.