Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1Mac7

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXPLOADING IPHONES
Source: https://www.wikitribune.com/story/2...hone-batteries-explode-in-apple-stores/34961/

iPhone 6 Plus users hoping to take advantage of Apple's discounted $29 battery replacements may have to wait a few months.

iphone-6-plus-battery.jpg

Apple says iPhone 6 Plus replacement batteries are in short supply and won't be available until late March to early April in the United States and other regions, according to an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers this week and later obtained by MacRumors.

Apple's internal document quotes a shorter wait of "approximately two weeks" for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s Plus battery replacements, and adds that batteries for all other models like the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone SE are expected to be available "without extended delays" in most countries.

Apple noted that lead times may vary in some regions, including the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, Russia, and Turkey.

MacRumors has already received a few emails from readers with an iPhone 6 Plus who were quoted a late March to early April timeframe for the replacement service to be completed at Apple Stores in New York and North Carolina, in line with the information outlined in Apple's document.

A reliable source at an Apple Authorized Service Provider indicated that they recently received a package with dozens of replacement batteries, the majority of which were for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models.

Apple lowered its battery replacement fee to $29 last month for any customer with an iPhone 6 or newer as part of an apology over its lack of transparency about slowing down some older iPhone models to prevent unexpected shutdowns. Apple noted that initial supplies of some batteries may be limited.

As with any supply-demand situation, availability of replacement batteries will likely vary by location. Keep in mind that many Apple Authorized Service Providers like MacMedics and ComputerCare are able to replace iPhone batteries, so this may be an option worth considering beyond an Apple Store.

A source adds that Apple Authorized Service Providers are permitted to set their own prices for out-of-warranty parts and repairs, so some third-party repair shops are charging more than $29 for battery replacements, even if Apple might not prefer it, to ensure they are being fairly compensated.

Also keep in mind that Apple's discounted rate is available until December 31, 2018, so unless you absolutely need a battery replacement now, you may wish to consider waiting until later in the year to initiate the process.

If you are replacing your iPhone's battery for the first time, the $29 price is available regardless of whether the device passes or fails Apple's battery diagnostic test. To be eligible for any additional replacements at the discounted rate, however, the device must explicitly fail the test or the standard $79 applies.

To get started, read our guide on how to get your iPhone's battery replaced with an appointment at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. There's also a mail-in option, but we've heard that Apple's repair center may only be replacing batteries that fail a diagnostic test, and sending back devices that pass.

Article Link: Apple Delays iPhone 6 Plus Battery Replacements Until March-April Due to Limited Supply

Reactions: Ladybug

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there
It’s not nearly 600$ to replace the back screen. You can’t just replace the glass. You’re basically taking the screen off the phone and putting it on a new one.

Edit: It’s because the internals are attached to the back and not to the screen.
So you are basically replacing the back screen for $600 if u crack the glass
[doublepost=1515848003][/doublepost]
No they won't. You have no concrete numbers on how many phones are impacted by the power management and battery degradation is fact of life.

Google Android Bootloop or Android Phone randomly shutting down.
Problem is we aren’t talking About android Phones. Let’s stay on the topic of iPhones
[doublepost=1515848292][/doublepost]Yet
Everyone’s battery is over 80% capacity on Apple’s worthless testing because the cpu is throttled by 50%. My iPhone 6 plus runs like utter crap on 11.2.2 with the latest bs fixes aka throttling 2.0. I even did a full restore and nothing has changed. Words with friends app doesn’t even load up anymore. Now I’m on the 6-8 year waiting list to get my battery replaced. I bet the iPhone XS comes out before they even get the batteries in stock.
some people here insist that this is continued to a very small amount of users. Deny all you want this is a nightmare for Apple right now

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
some people here insist that this is continued to a very small amount of users. Deny all you want this is a nightmare for Apple right now
Can you tell us how many users is actually is? Saying it's a nightmare is just as hyperbolic as saying it's a small number of users. Not to mention, you don't really know if apple views this as the equivalent of the "bubonic plague" or just "swatting a fly".

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Can you tell us how many users is actually is? Saying it's a nightmare is just as hyperbolic as saying it's a small number of users. Not to mention, you don't really know if apple views this as the equivalent of the "bubonic plague" or just "swatting a fly".
The press alone is more than just “swatting the fly”, then add the coming financial hit to Apple. Yes I get Apple is literally sitting on a mountain of cash, but we cannot underestimate the trouble this will cause them. Heck, even the loss of faith many users now have in the brand costs something. I’m not the only one who is no longer loyal to Apple. They over charge for all of their products and most services. This was the wake up call for many to stop wasting so much money every year or two on hardware and now software that is no longer ahead of the game. Nobody can talk of the fluidity and stableness of iOS after iOS 11. And nobody can defend the hardware if it’s only worth a **** for 12 months until Apple decides the throttle it.

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there
I’m just going by that it is still daily news. If Apple doesn’t have the battery’s it’s clearly lots of users.
[doublepost=1515859357][/doublepost]
The press alone is more than just “swatting the fly”, then add the coming financial hit to Apple. Yes I get Apple is literally sitting on a mountain of cash, but we cannot underestimate the trouble this will cause them. Heck, even the loss of faith many users now have in the brand costs something. I’m not the only one who is no longer loyal to Apple. They over charge for all of their products and most services. This was the wake up call for many to stop wasting so much money every year or two on hardware and now software that is no longer ahead of the game. Nobody can talk of the fluidity and stableness of iOS after iOS 11. And nobody can defend the hardware if it’s only worth a **** for 12 months until Apple decides the throttle it.
Bingo. Lots of people here live and breath for Apple. I don’t understand why they give a business who wants their money so much influence on their lives

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m just going by that it is still daily news. If Apple doesn’t have the battery’s it’s clearly lots of users.
Yes, the battery replacement program is popular, which is separate and distinct from how many users are actually affected..
[doublepost=1515859357][/doublepost]
Bingo. Lots of people here live and breath for Apple. I don’t understand why they give a business who wants their money so much influence on their lives
Apple has had an influence on my life, but not in the way you are framing it.
[doublepost=1515860258][/doublepost]
The press can say anything they want, how do the consumers feel? All of this press might work against those who want blood from Apple; ie any press even negative press is good press.

For me, It hasn’t changed my view one way or another, I’m nit going to change my purchase decisions. You, maybe you’ve changed your future purchase decisions. I tend to buy a new iPhone when I feel some newly introduced feature makes the phone better, faster, or easier to use.

We can’t underestimate this nor can we overestimate the significance. All repair programs cost Apple money, this is no exception.

As far as iOS 11, I have no issues with it based on where it is in the release cycle vs prior iOS releases.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So you are basically replacing the back screen for $600 if u crack the glass
[doublepost=1515848003][/doublepost]
Problem is we aren’t talking About android Phones. Let’s stay on the topic of iPhones
[doublepost=1515848292][/doublepost]Yet

A) There is no back screen
B) No, you’re basically replacing most of the phone.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Be aware that Apple will try to send you off and not change your battery.

My phone 6 Plus is over 2.5 years old, with obvious battery degradation (battery life runs out very quickly, doesn't even last a working day), but they ran their gimmicky "test" and they said health of the battery was 93% and that it didn't need replacement. After I said I wanted it anyway, they said they were out of stock, and that they would email me when the stock arrived, and I said fine. A couple of days later, I got an email saying the battery was in stock, and that I only had 3 days to show up otherwise they would give my battery to someone else. I was there 9am next day to get it bloody changed.

So they'll try to avoid changing your battery in 3 ways:

1. Their fake test saying your battery is 99% health and awesome.

2. Telling you that they are out of stock and you need to come again some other day.

3. Trying to make you miss your appointment by making it a very short window where you can come back again to the shop.

Not to mention all the waiting at the genius appointment (due at 12:00, the chap was not with me until 13:00).

So you need to be persistent to get your battery changed.

With my new battery, the phone is definitely smoother, and scrolling is now as it's supposed to be.

Good luck out there.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️

My phone 6 Plus is over 2.5 years old, with obvious battery degradation (battery life runs out very quickly, doesn't even last a working day), but they ran their gimmicky "test" and they said health of the battery was 93% and that it didn't need replacement. After I said I wanted it anyway, they said they were out of stock, and that they would email me when the stock arrived, and I said fine. A couple of days later, I got an email saying the battery was in stock, and that I only had 3 days to show up otherwise they would give my battery to someone else. I was there 9am next day to get it bloody changed.

2. Telling you that they are out of stock and you need to come again some other day.

3. Trying to make you miss your appointment by making it a very short window where you can come back again to the shop.

Not to mention all the waiting at the genius appointment (due at 12:00, the chap was not with me until 13:00).

With my new battery, the phone is definitely smoother, and scrolling is now as it's supposed to be.

Good luck out there.
This further proves the ineptitude at Apple these days. Tim needs to retire and campaign for social issues. Phil needs to sell used cars. Jony needs to retire. He’s obviously past his prime for technology design.

deferredAnon

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2017
US

Good luck out there.
Did they mention anything about you being throttled? Or, did you ask them?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
History has proven this is what Apple does..

When they try and help out customers, they only delay it.

That is "limited supply" is not helping, its going in the other direction. If u can get a replacement battery, that's good, otherwise your just asked for this delay to happen and accept it for what "it is".

That's really all u can say about it.

PPopMatt

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2015
California
...So does this mean that there will be NO BATTERIES for my fuggin appointment this week in CA? Will they tell me, or do I have to call the store before wasting hours getting there to be told NO Batteries?

Also, what about the effed up charging port, or minor cracked screen? Can they repair them at the same time, or throw the whole thing out, and tell me to buy a new phone? #@$%#$#%^

ALL because the iOS11 up-date literally started ANY and ALL Major problems with my battery. There was NO 6-7 Hour Everything Swiped Off drainage before the update...!

Wait... Theres more!
So, I plugged in to Charge the iP6 and woke up this morning to see it drained to 1/8" Red Battery Icon. Nothing would make it charge, so I went onto the Apple support page and it said to clean out the belly button lint, and 1/2 H later still no change.
I figured the battery was dead and that I would HAVE TO to "of course" buy a new $800 phone...
Following the instructions that I'de need the Serial # before calling, I plugged the dead phone into iTunes and voila, THAT woke it up past the 1/8" Red battery icon, and it started charging.. #$%&#^*&

What a major waste of time and AINGST...

@#%$%

So, anybody getting Apple NOW to replace the RUINED Battery"?

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
Makes no difference. I have "power management" on my phone and my geekbench results are 100% of what they should be as in many peoples' older models.

The ONLY thing that matters is how many phones actually experience slower performance, which no one knows.
I disagree that it only matters how many are affected at this point in time, as that, every single iPhone with that OS version will be affected at one point or another. However, I do agree, we will probably never know how many do actually experience slowdowns at this time. While I understand with Apple's decision to do what they did, the way they went about it, leads you one speculation about the real motives with the history of complaints of slowdowns on older phones after upgrading to the newest OS when it's released with a new phone.

ConfusedChris

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
U.K.
I don’t think this will hurt sales of the next models much. Later this year eBay etc. will be littered with adverts for “iPhone 6 plus with brand new battery!”

But they should have started this $29 replacement program just for devices that failed or almost failed the battery test, until supplies were sufficient for everyone to get one quickly.

Askolan

Suspended
Feb 21, 2017
I bet all of their batteries got sold out to cheaper repairing services. Wouldn’t be surprised if they stacked up on batteries after hearing the “Apple slowing down phones” looking for some extra buck.

Apple doesn't sell their batteries to 3rd party suppliers. In fact, consumers and suppliers have tried to pass legislation called "right to repair" that has been receiving a lot of attention as of late.
[doublepost=1516117794][/doublepost]
I don’t think this will hurt sales of the next models much. Later this year eBay etc. will be littered with adverts for “iPhone 6 plus with brand new battery!”

But they should have started this $29 replacement program just for devices that failed or almost failed the battery test, until supplies were sufficient for everyone to get one quickly.

I think it will. My wife and I are holding off on 'upgrading' our 6s Plus and 6, respectively, because the insane slow downs and ghosting we experience now have a cause and can be fixed for a fair price. We'd rather upgrade the battery and get another year or two out of our phones and spend that money on a vacation. Maybe others out there need to have the newest shiniest thing in their pocket, but I'm willing to bet many won't be that enticed to burn their money.
[doublepost=1516117965][/doublepost]
Likely due to the influx of people, justified or not, asking for cheap replacements due to the placebo of thinking their phones are slow.

I think you're using the wrong word. When there is evidence of a variable causing an effect it is no longer called a placebo. Maybe there are a lot of people out there that want their battery replaced just because they think they need it, but there are also a lot that are replacing it because their phones have become painful to use.
[doublepost=1516118489][/doublepost]
That's pretty much Apple in a nutshell since Steve passed.

The good news is Johny Ive is coming back as head of design in a few weeks after Tim forced him spend all of his time designing their 'campus.'
[doublepost=1516118859][/doublepost]
Idk what u guys talking cause here in miami at dadeland mall .. battery replacement for iphone 6s took me 4 days to be delivered at the store ... no delays or issues ..

Thanks for the anecdote. We're all wrong and you're right. Your experience should directly translate into our own.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Apple doesn't sell their batteries to 3rd party suppliers. In fact, consumers and suppliers have tried to pass legislation called "right to repair" that has been receiving a lot of attention as of late.
[doublepost=1516117794][/doublepost]

I think it will. My wife and I are holding off on 'upgrading' our 6s Plus and 6, respectively, because the insane slow downs and ghosting we experience now have a cause and can be fixed for a fair price. We'd rather upgrade the battery and get another year or two out of our phones and spend that money on a vacation. Maybe others out there need to have the newest shiniest thing in their pocket, but I'm willing to bet many won't be that enticed to burn their money.
[doublepost=1516117965][/doublepost]

I think you're using the wrong word. When there is evidence of a variable causing an effect it is no longer called a placebo. Maybe there are a lot of people out there that want their battery replaced just because they think they need it, but there are also a lot that are replacing it because their phones have become painful to use.
[doublepost=1516118489][/doublepost]

The good news is Johny Ive is coming back as head of design in a few weeks after Tim forced him spend all of his time designing their 'campus.'
[doublepost=1516118859][/doublepost]

Thanks for the anecdote. We're all wrong and you're right. Your experience should directly translate into our own.
“Because their phones have become painful to use”

Which is completely unrelated to the battery limitations and built-in cpu restrictions with degraded batteries. This is what nobody cares to actually understand.

“Oh my phone is slow 24/7, it must be Apple slowing it down even though apple’s cpu limitations are an infrequent occupancy only during peak power draw.”

Don’t let facts get in the way of your opinion.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
And here is the issue. Glue. Apple loves glue. Just make it replaceable.

Apple loves glue, but not because someone's sweetheart's family is in the glue business. It's because, for better and for worse, Apple has a religious zeal for thinner hardware. If that's an overriding design imperative (and I think it's clear that it is), you're going to wind up with hardware that scores low on the iFixit index and is very expensive to repair when something breaks.
[doublepost=1516124974][/doublepost]
My wife and I are holding off on 'upgrading' our 6s Plus and 6, respectively, because the insane slow downs and ghosting we experience now have a cause and can be fixed for a fair price. We'd rather upgrade the battery and get another year or two out of our phones and spend that money on a vacation.

I am seriously looking for suggestions for a good vacation that costs my family only US$1440.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.