Apple Design Chief Jony Ive: iPhone X Will 'Change and Evolve' Over Time

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Move onto a Google Pixel or Galaxy Note 8 ...

2. @bcswidrak macrumors newbie

@bcswidrak

I wonder if in 10 to 20 years we will find it hard to imagine that we carried something around with us that we had to interact with in order to communicate with someone, do work, or take pictures. We'll say to our grand kids, we used to have something we called a "smart phone" which everyone kept in their pocket or purse and used all the time. "Huh? no one had embedded chips or digital contacts???" "Crazy!" My point being, everything now seems to be on an evolutionary path, I don't know if anyone really knows where we are headed and no iteration seems to be an arrival point for very long. So enjoy the quirky notch, it will probably not be the defining moment of success or failure for the future of tech.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Maybe they should. Then we will have one less disgruntled user and this forum will be a better place for it.

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Point being...why fight the changes?

5. ryanayr macrumors member

ryanayr

Well, now you’re stating it’s an expression. To avoid, just simply use words like “I” or “me”. Next time clearly communicate, as it stands you’re telling others what they should do. I will reiterate, don’t decide for us. Many thanks.

6. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Again. Worry about yourself. Many thanks.

7. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Fight?

I'm simply not going to pay for something I don't like just because it has an Apple logo on it.

8. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Thank goodness for choices?

9. Tozovac macrumors 6502

Tozovac

Ah yes, the Customer Is Never Right rule. Gotcha.

10. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Exactly. :D

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Isn’t it?

If I run a French restaurant, I fail to see how it is my fault that I can’t accede to a customer’s request for cheeseburgers.

12. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

So now a screen without a notch is a cheeseburger?

13. upandown macrumors regular

Nevermind all the typical rubbish. I actually have something to contribute.

Does anyone else think his comment could mean an iOS overhaul?

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

In the context of wanting a bezel-less phone, yes, one could argue that it is.

You want a phone with no borders, something has to give. The home button clearly has to go, and you are still going to have to put the front camera somewhere, even if the iPhone X didn’t come with Face ID.

People rag on Apple for that unsightly notch, but then I look at what the competition has done and I am not convinced their alternatives are any better. Samsung placed two tiny bezels at the top and bottom of their phone, and well, it bothers me more than a notch does.

You want a borderless phone, may as well go all the way.

And if you don’t want it, that’s what the iPhone 8 and 8+ are for.

15. cenetti macrumors 6502

I'll never buy X or any iphone with the said notch. Because I know I wont be able to get over it. Just like I couldn't get over moto 360's flat tire, no matter how hard I tried.

16. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Don't speak for everyone or put words in my mouth.

Just because some people are obsessed with removing bezels doesn't mean I am especially to the point where I would accept a notch. In my opinion Samsung's solution is the better of the two.

I don't care about the bezels. I care about a notch in the screen. The notch is not innovation. It's not being fancy. It's a hack. It exists because just like Apple failed with TouchID on the X they failed at removing the bezels. It's an expensive mediocre design.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

How is a notch any better than bezels? Compared to a notch, a bezel at the top of the screen is simply extra space that isn't being used for anything.

Maybe Apple did fail with Touch ID and maybe they didn't. Either way, I think it's safe to way that Touch ID is gone and Face ID is going to form the lynchpin of iPhone interaction for the next couple of years.

The die is cast.

18. willnpc, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

willnpc macrumors member

willnpc

Well, look at it, do you see why a lot of people are complaining? It’s hideous
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    This screams I made a bad decision on my iPhone X
    Amen brother...Amen.. but also don’t forget about all the problems people are having..and btw I love my 10.3.3 software
    God please no...my buddies complain about it everyday, they are constantly either trying to reposition their phones and / or their faces so it can read it, when we are outside kind a looks like they’re looking in a mirror or something checking all sides of their face LOL, it’s not pretty
    Facepalm
    Sounds like you have been listening to too many paid reviews...trust me people notice and hate it, and one I know is returning it

19. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Considering Apple has lowered orders of the parts for the phone to 40% I would say that the x is a flop. Not good after the 8 flopped.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Where are you getting this data?

From what I am seeing, iPhone X sales are through the roof and the iPhone 8 and 8+ aren’t doing so bad themselves.

21. EnderBeta, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

None of them refer to sales of iPhone X being disappointing.

They all talk about possible component shortage, not lessening demand, and it is a week before the iPhone was released. As a general rule of thumb, supply chain rumours about a yet-to-be-released product are no longer relevant once the product has actually been released.

The links you posted are irrelevant at best and downright misleading at worst.

One source of data would be Mixpanel.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_8_X

As of today, estimated iphone adoption is as follows:
    Iphone 8: 1.82%
    Iphone 8+: 2.45%
    Iphone X: 1.52%

As of the moment, both the iPhone 8 models have been out for close to 7 weeks, while the iPhone X has been out for a week. Last quarter, Apple sold an average of 4 million iPhones a week. We are looking at around 23 million iPhones sold so far, and ~8.2 million iPhone X units. Which is interesting enough, a lot higher than the 2-3 million that rumours had pegged supply at.

Assuming supply holds up, I think Apple can sell around 30 million units of iPhone X in the first quarter of 2018, plus 35 million iPhone 8 and 8+ units. Include sales of older iPhones and we are looking at sales of between 75-80 million. That to me is a very respectable number. For context, Apple sold a total of 78 million iPhones in the first quarter of 2017.

Apple has also posted higher revenue guidance for next quarter, so they clearly expect the iPhone to do well.

So I would say that launch day sales of the iPhone X has been doing very well, and it will continue to do well. As always, the proof of the pudding will lie in Apple's earnings for the next quarter, and I won't be holding my breath.

23. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

You sound like a good customer for Apple. You look too them to tell you what you want. It doesn't matter if you don't like French food, you are going to eat it because that is what Apple has prepared for you.

Me, I like Japanese food so I'm going to a doesn't restaurant. I don't have to eat something I don't like.

So you don't want anyone with a different opinion on a forum? That would seem kind of boring. I guess everyone could just praise Apple and never have a critical comment about anything they do. And everyone can complement each other for their wise choice in technology.

24. cenetti macrumors 6502

I dont know if the sales are doing good or not but right now tmobile Estimated ship date: 11/18/2017 - 11/27/2017

thats 1-2 week... It took longer to get a Watch 3 LTE.

25. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I welcome differing opinions. I am just not seeing much of that here. Just a ton of noise and kneejerk “first” comments that are exceedingly shallow and superficial.

Look at the first six pages of comments in this thread. Tell me with a straight face that is the epitome of the sort of intelligent, rational critical analysis you want to promote and encourage.