Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Joswiak quickly dismissed the idea as, "about the craziest thinking in the world" and talked up iOS 12 as a, "really good update."

"Which is about the craziest thinking in the world, where I give you a ****** experience so you go buy our new product,"

Doesn't work for me that my S01 watch won't see any updates, which I'm guessing will not see any notifications going forward as things are updated either for Watch iOS or phone iOS.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Some of these comments got me to thinking about Windows 10 and the compatibility list. I went to Dell and the earliest computer that I found that could support it had a chip that was released in 2012. So I guess every computer before that is shot (someone else's parlance, not mine). And other articles about installing Windows 10, yes it is still a nightmare, never fear some things don't change. Apparently you can get half-way through the process before it crashes and restore is hard. You can even use the compatibility tools and they say yes, and then oh S H I T ! (see I read the article)

Wow, what a company!
[doublepost=1528329759][/doublepost]
So far, every major "crazy conspiracy theory" about the iPhone has been true.
- Location tracking: Turns out they saved location to a local file, exposed a few years back and removed.
- Passcode cracking: Was always possible in theory, and GreyKey now does it in practice.
- iOS 11 slowing down the iPhone 6: Yep, throttling, since then fixed.
- Killing apps to reduce resource consumption: If you check the remote notification and significant change of location docs, backgrounded apps can wake up from those regardless of user settings, unless they've been killed.

another huh?

read "Local file". it didn't get mailed to your colleague like Alexa, no outside hacks reported.
hacking, true, it is a game prevent hackers, find a way in, repeat. Much more secure than Windows and Android counterparts though. and now with USB locking. there will be a break in, then another fix. Hey, hat happened to search warrants? And it not about the real bad guys, its about all the other folks who get accused of being bad guys and get searched against their constitutional rights.
Slowing down? nope fixing battery issue that caused crashes with old batteries. Some people just want to crash I guess, instead of replacing their battery.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and chabig

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
When Apple offer an devices with limited hardware, like iPhone 6 with 1GB RAM, and offer a new OS that is going to be slow after one update, it is clearly planned obsolescence.

When Apple stop offer a new OS that old hardware able to run, it is planned obsolescence. Like Apple stop offering newest OS to older Mac.

I had an iPhone 6 running iOS 11, and I didn't find it to be slow, and apparently iOS 12 will actually improve performance.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
What does their crappy hardware update cycle have to do with this? Pretty sure the Mac mini is EOL anyway. I'm annoyed with it too, but their software support for Macs is still great.
2 generations of support is GREAT?

Doesn't help that the 2 generations span 6 years. :mad::apple:

They wouldn't have to support "really old hardware" if they actually updated the machines once in a blue moon.

Reactions: ReneR and hypercard

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Rubbish.

easy example...
I'm still using the Apple keyboard/mouse with the AA batteries from 2007, it's as new.
Now they have non-replacement batteries in the current crop of keyboard/mouse, thats also less ergonomic. I would had to replace my keyboard/mouse if I had bought these years ago.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Please explain why you stop supporting hardware that’s 7 - 8 years old, on cue, every OSX / macOS update. Is that the magical time that computers no longer work on new OSs? Why is the dropping of OS support so predictive and ryrhmic?

Do people really believe each OS version requires a newer version of Intel’s chip to run? I don’t.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Please explain why you stop supporting hardware that’s 7 - 8 years old, on cue, every OSX / macOS update. Is that the magical time that computers no longer work on new OSs? Why is the dropping of OS support so predictive and ryrhmic?

Do people really believe each OS version requires a newer version of Intel’s chip to run? I don’t.
It lessens the load for Apple's internal development team to do QA on older machines that may have problems running newer software.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and chabig

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
iOS: We care about your older devices.

MacOS: Please throw away your MacBook (Late 2009), MacBook (Mid 2010), MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), MacBook Pro (Early 2011), MacBook Pro (Late 2011), iMac (Late 2009), iMac (Mid 2010), iMac (Mid 2011), Mac mini (Mid 2010), or Mac mini (Mid 2011).

What a great company...

(Sorry for the repost, but this is definitely relevant here.)

"Throw away" ?

A sensible argument doesn't need to exaggerate or fabricate to make a point. Those Macs are still perfectly usable, you KNOW THAT, but it doesn't suit your sensationalist comment - do you know how much effort it would take to support NINE YEARS of Mac models? It's abundantly obvious you've not thought this through to finality. I take it you understand that they're in business, which means that part of that is being in business to sell Macs.

Should we not, therefore, by this flawed logic, petition Apple to support G4 Macs? Why stop there - why not G3?

Last edited:
Reactions: MrUNIMOG

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
It lessens the load for Apple's internal development team to do QA on older machines that may have problems running newer software.
Don’t buy it.

Apple is a huge corporation with a fairly small amount of supported hardware compared to other OS’s. Apple is the only company that can’t support their computers for more than seven years. Doesn’t add up.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Suggestions like "they should develop processor-specific versions of the latest OS for my 5 year old device" isn't realistic or reasonable.

Why? We’re not talking about older hardware that has a million or two user base. We’re talking tens of millions of devices per model!

No one expects the latest gimmicks to be added to existing OS’s. However, the basic utilities and services should be supported. They should co-exist with the newer versions of themselves, not be compromised implementations of the newer version.

If continued use of an existing phone meant having to buy an optimized version of the next OS, I rather pay that than pay many times more for new hardware.

Reactions: H818H

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Some of these comments got me to thinking about Windows 10 and the compatibility list. I went to Dell and the earliest computer that I found that could support it had a chip that was released in 2012. So I guess every computer before that is shot (someone else's parlance, not mine). And other articles about installing Windows 10, yes it is still a nightmare, never fear some things don't change. Apparently you can get half-way through the process before it crashes and restore is hard. You can even use the compatibility tools and they say yes, and then oh S H I T ! (see I read the article)

I have Windows 10 on my 2008 $300 Compaq Presario, was very easy to update. Also have an Asus also from 2008 that also runs it well. On the other hand my $1800 2008 White MacBook lost OSX support after only 4 years in 2012, with the release of ML cause Apple couldn't be bothered writing a 64bit graphics driver for it.
[doublepost=1528334503][/doublepost]
A sensible argument doesn't need to exaggerate or fabricate to make a point. Those Macs are still perfectly usable, you KNOW THAT, but it doesn't suit your sensationalist comment - do you know how much effort it would take to support NINE YEARS of Mac models? It's abundantly obvious you've not thought this through to finality. I take it you understand that they're in business, which means that part of that is being in business to sell Macs.

As soon as they loose OS support there will be issues with iCloud syncing and iWork applications for example will probably change file type and thus not be usable unless iWork is updated, which will require 10.14. It's all happened before.

Members on Macrumours were able to extend support of Sierra and High Sierra to the 2008 and 2009 that it dropped, so no it can't be too hard for Apple to achieve the same thing given they have the resources.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
All I know is that the switch to requiring 64-bit A-Series SoC's did make older iOS devices obsolete. You need to have either the A7 (iPhone 5S) or A7X (iPad Air/iPad Mini 2nd generation) at minimum in order to run iOS 11 and soon 12.

Reactions: fairuz

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have Windows 10 on my 2008 $300 Compaq Presario, was very easy to update. Also have an Asus also from 2008 that also runs it well. On the other hand my $1800 2008 White MacBook lost OSX support after only 4 years in 2012, with the release of ML cause Apple couldn't be bothered writing a 64bit graphics driver for it.
[doublepost=1528334503][/doublepost]

As soon as they loose OS support there will be issues with iCloud syncing and iWork applications for example will probably change file type and thus not be usable unless iWork is updated, which will require 10.14. It's all happened before.

Members on Macrumours were able to extend support of Sierra and High Sierra to the 2008 and 2009 that it dropped, so no it can't be too hard for Apple to achieve the same thing given they have the resources.
IMHO (and I emphasize this is IMO) Windows 10 is a reskinned Windows XP, which is why it installs on older hardware. There are no features that make it dependent on newer hardware and most of the changes are UI, with some under the cover optimizations, similar to IOS 12 strategy). However, Microsoft has stated (and I don't know if they have changed their mind) older releases 7,8,8.1 will not run on newer chips beyond a certain point. So there is that.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I had an iPhone 6 running iOS 11, and I didn't find it to be slow, and apparently iOS 12 will actually improve performance.

Good for you. My iPhone 6S is slow. However, i have largely left Apple ecosystem with expcetion of iPad. Both my Android phone and Windows 10 worked very well.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
2 generations of support is GREAT?

Doesn't help that the 2 generations span 6 years. :mad::apple:

They wouldn't have to support "really old hardware" if they actually updated the machines once in a blue moon.
Most people upgrade computers every "x" years, not every "x" generations. macOS software team must be as frustrated as we are with the hardware releases; nothing they can do about the 2-gens-old Mac mini having ancient hardware.

Actually, my 2009 Mac Pro is 3 or 4 gens old, depending how you count them, but it'll run Mojave thanks to my new GPU. Dang, this thing just keeps going.
[doublepost=1528341335][/doublepost]
IMHO (and I emphasize this is IMO) Windows 10 is a reskinned Windows XP, which is why it installs on older hardware. There are no features that make it dependent on newer hardware and most of the changes are UI, with some under the cover optimizations, similar to IOS 12 strategy). However, Microsoft has stated (and I don't know if they have changed their mind) older releases 7,8,8.1 will not run on newer chips beyond a certain point. So there is that.
I would have thought all the spyware would slow it down, lol
Being serious, some stuff supports 7 and 10 but not XP, or the other way around, so I'd expect that 10 is different from XP. And I'd also be abhorred if they'd kept the same OS since 2003. But 7 and 10 seem to be the same.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Windows/MS has always made it possible to install on older hardware. This is nothing new. In fact, it's encouraged that you do upgrade. When Windows 7 came out, it breathed fresh live into older machines that could operate more efficiently than on Vista or XP. This is actually their goal as a software and hardware company. The less people running older software, the less headache it is for them to maintain several branches.

Now each major Windows 10 update carries its own EoL in terms of support and updates. Depending on what the modular pro turns out to be, I'd be curious about the Windows adoption rate in professional environments (interpret professional however you wish). I fear Apple's idea of modularity means a mATX sized case with internal slots for flash memory boards and multiple external ports for stuff like a BluRay burner and 2-4 eGPU enclosures.
[doublepost=1528342895][/doublepost]
Don’t buy it.

Apple is a huge corporation with a fairly small amount of supported hardware compared to other OS’s. Apple is the only company that can’t support their computers for more than seven years. Doesn’t add up.
You kind of answered your own question while affirming my statement. Yes, Apple is huge and has a small amount of supported hardware, but in multiple configurations. I'll say this, even if it's a 2017 MBP, Apple keeps running into problems with High Sierra being stable lest it bugging out and destroying data. In other words, Apple is chasing the green money symbols and it shows. This isn't about a Jobs vs. Cook scenario. Jobs was still money hungry when he wasn't hyper focused on great products. Blame the majority shareholders who prefer short term returns over long term returns. Sacrificing consumer happiness for money is how every company begins their demise.

I want to believe their $100B buyback was a result of Apple executives saying "enough is enough" of this BS and to get back on track. Who knows. We could debate on whether that's wise or not until kingdom come. The real fact is that Apple has more money than they know what to do with. And sitting on your money as a company does piss all.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Cell phone contracts use to be 3 years. And then 2 years. Some how the batteries last 2 years too.

If cell phone contracts went back to 3 years, would Apple replace batteries at the 2 year mark or magically improve the battery so it last 3 years now?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So far, every major "crazy conspiracy theory" about the iPhone has been true.
- Location tracking: Turns out they saved location to a local file, exposed a few years back and removed.
- Passcode cracking: Was always possible in theory, and GreyKey now does it in practice.
- iOS 11 slowing down the iPhone 6: Yep, throttling even phones without battery problems, since then fixed.
- Killing apps to reduce resource consumption: If you check the remote notification and significant change of location docs, backgrounded apps can wake up from those regardless of user settings, unless they've been killed.
Apple only introduced the throttling feature as of iOS 11.2.1, way later than these "crazy conspiracy theories" which date back many more years.

Password cracking was more of exploiting a flaw in the software. By that logic, is the locksmith out to get you if another burglar succeeds in picking the lock? No, it just means that the software isn't perfect, and that there are still ways into the device despite Apple's best efforts to secure it, not that Apple is deliberately going out of their way to compromise the security of iOS.

Many of these theories are essentially confirmation bias.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I take it you understand that they're in business, which means that part of that is being in business to sell Macs.
Right, I already said earlier in this thread that they chose not to support 2011 Macs because of the lack of a financial or publicity incentive in doing so; but not because it's impossible for Apple to support OpenGL for older hardware in Mojave as some posters have tried to claim. So I don't disagree with some of your reasoning.
A sensible argument doesn't need to exaggerate or fabricate to make a point. ... Should we not, therefore, by this flawed logic, petition Apple to support G4 Macs? Why stop there - why not G3?
You call me out for exaggerating to make my point, then follow up with an exaggeration to make your counterpoint. Wonderful.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
Well, my HP Compaq 6510b is still humming along in windows 10. I can't say it's fast, but since I upgraded to an SSD, it's fine even with its max memory of 4GB. Now, I don't use that computer that much anymore, it is getting slow, but it's not due to anything other than age. It was released before june 2007 as Notebook Review wrote a review then and stated that HP offered the model, not that it was releasing it. 11 years and still running latest and greatest, even with it's original battery giving at least 1,5 hour of runtime.

Now, I don't really require that from Apple, it's rather silly, but they should really, really get with the program and have a clear timeline for their OSes and hardware. OK, every year, we move the line forward to be able to make new fantastic features. We promise to deliver security updates to the last 5 OSes (at least!).
Or, they could say that when you buy an Apple computer, you will receive security updates for the next 10 years. They might come as major new versions, or security updates.

I also find it hilarious that a battery replacement for a pretty new iPhone is rather cheap, whereas replacing the battery on a fairly new MacBook is crazy expensive, even taking the size of the battery into account. They have made it totally clear that a MacBook is actually more of a disposable unit than their phones.
In the iPhone, the battery can be replaced as a separate part, rather easily. In the 2017 MacBook Pro, the entire topcase has to be discarded when the battery has to be replaced. That will be prohibitively expensive and makes it perfectly clear that the MacBook-line of computers are more of a disposable unit than Apples pride and joy, the iPhone.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Apple only introduced the throttling feature as of iOS 11.2.1, way later than these "crazy conspiracy theories" which date back many more years.

Password cracking was more of exploiting a flaw in the software. By that logic, is the locksmith out to get you if another burglar succeeds in picking the lock? No, it just means that the software isn't perfect, and that there are still ways into the device despite Apple's best efforts to secure it, not that Apple is deliberately going out of their way to compromise the security of iOS.

Many of these theories are essentially confirmation bias.
IDK, I was referring to the outcry in the iOS 11 time. Haven't heard complaints before that.

The password cracking is not a flaw in the software. It's the way it's designed. 4-6 decimal digits isn't enough entropy, and no kind of auth mechanism or hardware can secure that. I don't blame Apple for it cause it's good enough for most people, but they falsely indicated that it was uncrackable. Tim Cook incorrectly called devices that crack it "backdoors."

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

All 3 have been hacked to run on the newer chips with fully functioning updates. So unofficially you can.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
The operative word here is intent. For anyone to say Apple engaged in planned obsolescence is that their intent and purpose is to make older hardware suck to get people to buy new hardware. Again that’s ridiculous. To believe that you have to believe people who use Apple products are lemmings or sheep who will keep buying no matter the experience. Also there is a difference between so-called planned obsolescence and upselling. Apple definitely does the latter but it’s certainly not unique to Apple. It’s basically marketing 101.

It is really ignorant to say planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence are ridiculous. This is a standard practice in lots of industries. Cars, Light bulbs, Electronic goods, they all are designed to last for a well defined lifespan. And the whole business plan is build around that.

Reactions: tn-xyz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.