Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nobody wants a Note 7. Didn't you see the absolutely horrible figures for sales/production?

Yup....just like no one wanted the S7... Come on, are you seriously going to come to a logical conclusion about the success of the note 7 this early on based on how its initial launch went? (Given they would have stoped production ) I gave you more credit .

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
Yup....just like no one wanted the S7... Come on, are you seriously going to come to a logical conclusion about the success of the note 7 this early on based on how its initial launch went? (Given they would have stoped production ) I gave you more credit .

Yes I am, because people who really want one will pre-order their devices. Just like people who really want an iPhone will pre-order online. This has been common practice for years. Samsung themselves routinely brag about how many pre-orders they get for a device, so they also seem to think it's important.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/10/galaxy-note-7-pre-orders/

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Enjoying my note 7 now and will still enjoy my note 7 when I get my replacement one....so many features I could never go to a boring and limited iphone....

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Honestly the note still looks the same. Why not call that a note 6.5?

I honestly have not had a chance to look at one yet , my assumption was that it was based on the S7 design, which I liked. I'll have a look this week.

Though I did a quick google , and see your point
[doublepost=1473114915][/doublepost]
Yes I am, because people who really want one will pre-order their devices. Just like people who really want an iPhone will pre-order online. This has been common practice for years. Samsung themselves routinely brag about how many pre-orders they get for a device, so they also seem to think it's important.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/10/galaxy-note-7-pre-orders/

You are assuming how the public reacts based on your own behaviour. Majority of people do not preorder. Most people are on contracts, think it through. They will not be buying these devices on launch day.

I preorder mine every year.....and I am a minority among my colleagues and friends. As most don't upgrade each year, are on contracts, and want to see a device before they commit to a preorder.

Geez don't get suckered in by markerting spin.....the Apple Watch must be a complete failure as apple does not quote figures ......or flip side, it could be the most successful smart watch..... Now are you sure the note 7 is going to be a failure based on your info at hand?

You do realise the S7 sold way way way more after pre-orders......it peaked after it hit the masses

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Good luck and Apple needs all the help it can get but people aren't going to downgrade just because of a recall. Just like when a car gets a recall, like for an airbag, nobody is going to downgrade to a golf cart. Apple needs to at least build an iPhone comparable to Note 7 features for people to even consider.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Enjoying my note 7 now and will still enjoy my note 7 when I get my replacement one....so many features I could never go to a boring and limited iphone....

With the recall, is there any compensation ? Or is it just a case of getting the new device and shipping the old one back?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Geez don't get suckered in by markerting spin.....the Apple Watch must be a complete failure as apple does not quote figures ......or flip side, it could be the most successful smart watch..... Now are you sure the note 7 is going to be a failure based on your info at hand?

You do realise the S7 sold way way way more after pre-orders......it peaked after it hit the masses

Best way to tell if something sold well - go outside and look what people are using.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Sales data show the iPhone destroying the Galaxy S and Note 7. I call BS until you can provide a source.

And you must have missed that test showing a year old iPhone 6S faster than a Note 7.

Really, which data is showing the iPhone 6S destroying the S7?

Wow... A test on the "internet" that makes it conclusive..... Okay here is the problem, there are thousands of tests that prove an iPhone or S7 are better....but you have mentioned ONE, so end of debate eh ;) at least do us a favour and show this test . Some logical folk here might want to see this evidence .

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
Best way to tell if something sold well - go outside and look what people are using.

That would explain why I've only seen one Note 7 - from a guy at work. Who is, BTW, quite pissed. Oh well, he asked me my opinion and I said to wait a couple weeks as there were reports of screens scratching easily on the Note 7. Who knew that would be such a minor issue compared to what followed.

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
Really, which data is showing the iPhone 6S destroying the S7?

Wow... A test on the "internet" that makes it conclusive..... Okay here is the problem, there are thousands of tests that prove an iPhone or S7 are better....but you have mentioned ONE, so end of debate eh ;) at least do us a favour and show this test . Some logical folk here might want to see this evidence .

You're kidding, right? Let me ask you a simple question: which phone has sold more, and by how much? The iPhone 6S or the S7?

As to performance, how did you miss this article?

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/22/galaxy-note-7-iphone-6s-speed-test/

650 comments and so many tears I could fill my swimming pool. Forgetting the App loading times, it's embarrassing to see a 2 core iPhone fly through both photo and video rendering way faster than the Note 7.

You're free to point me to any tests that show the Note 7 is faster. There are lots of YouTube tests and all pretty much show the iPhone is faster. The best I've seen a Note 7 do is perform equally to the iPhone.

I don't think a video showing the Note 7 faster than the iPhone 6S exists. Simple logic, really. If such a video existed, the Samsung fans on Macrumors would have shared it countless times by now.*

*runs away and snickers in the corner at all the people rushing out to find such a video.

Reactions: FFR

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You're kidding, right? Let me ask you a simple question: which phone has sold more, and by how much? The iPhone 6S or the S7?

As to performance, how did you miss this article?

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/22/galaxy-note-7-iphone-6s-speed-test/

650 comments and so many tears I could fill my swimming pool. Forgetting the App loading times, it's embarrassing to see a 2 core iPhone fly through both photo and video rendering way faster than the Note 7.

You're free to point me to any tests that show the Note 7 is faster. There are lots of YouTube tests and all pretty much show the iPhone is faster. The best I've seen a Note 7 do is perform equally to the iPhone.

I don't think a video showing the Note 7 faster than the iPhone 6S exists. Simple logic, really. If such a video existed, the Samsung fans on Macrumors would have shared it countless times by now.*

*runs away and snickers in the corner at all the people rushing out to find such a video.

You missed my point. You are using snippets of info to derive a conclusion.

Overall sales figures are meaningless, Samsung has not out sold an apple device ever. It does not hide the fact the S7 sales figures are very good and growing while iphone sales are falling. The fact here is that when you are the market leader in sales, its not your competitor beating you.... cause there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE gap, but you loosing sales. Which is what is happening.

Using your logic, OS X sucks and is being destroyed by Windows sales....year on year....WRONG. OS X success is based on its growth each year and not outselling Windows outright.

As for the video.....I could not care less, I''m an iphone user, I just gave you a subtle hint that linking a video helps.....millions and millions of videos out there ;)

DieterV

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
Please don't keep repeating his lie about what Apple factory workers get paid.Per the Chicago Tribune report "including overtime, take-home pay averages 4,200 yuan to 5,500 yuan ($650-$850) a month," not $4.00 a week he's trolling with.
Ok, but apple did this because of all the bad publicity around it. Don't be naive about this. If apple can save a penny, they will. Just like any other company.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Ok, but apple did this because of all the bad publicity around it. Don't be naive about this. If apple can save a penny, they will. Just like any other company.

Of course they have a duty to their shareholders, but I don't share your cynicism that they don't care about people and the conditions in which they work. Companies are generally full of people from all walks of life who want to do the right thing by their employees and subs and customer -- not everyone, but it has been my substantial experience with the many companies I've worked with and for.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Then why do they even waste engineering money on new products anyhow? If the brand is enough to sell them they might as well do like they've done with the Mac line and just keep selling the same old stuff.

Incase you didn't know, Apple has been spending r&d money on watches and cars.

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
You missed my point. You are using snippets of info to derive a conclusion.

Overall sales figures are meaningless, Samsung has not out sold an apple device ever. It does not hide the fact the S7 sales figures are very good and growing while iphone sales are falling. The fact here is that when you are the market leader in sales, its not your competitor beating you.... cause there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE gap, but you loosing sales. Which is what is happening.

Using your logic, OS X sucks and is being destroyed by Windows sales....year on year....WRONG. OS X success is based on its growth each year and not outselling Windows outright.

As for the video.....I could not care less, I''m an iphone user, I just gave you a subtle hint that linking a video helps.....millions and millions of videos out there ;)

How could you claim S7 sales are climbing? For starters, Samsung doesn't provide sales figures. The only report I've ever seen claims Samsung sold 26 million in the last quarter.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160707000313&RURL=#jyk

So they had a good quarter (still pales compared to the iPhone), but we have no idea how their following quarter will go. Sales typically are highest right after launch, so it's not a stretch to say S7 sales will actually drop slightly.

iPhone sales only appear to be falling because of the unusually high sales when the iPhone 6 launched (pent up demand for larger screen iPhones). If you graph their sales by quarter this is easy to see - it's a steady climb with two out-of-place humps. I imagine iPhone sales will soon level off and Apple will sell 200+ million a year, mostly to upgraders with 2-3 year old devices. A position any other phone vender would kill to be in.

As to the video I assumed you had seen it after the storm it set off when posted here.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I actually feel sorry for Samsung with the battery issue they have right now. They did the correct move by recalling the Phone from those who could or would have been injured from the battery. It could not have happened at a worst time for Samsung, with Apple launching the iPhone 7.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
How could you claim S7 sales are climbing? For starters, Samsung doesn't provide sales figures. The only report I've ever seen claims Samsung sold 26 million in the last quarter.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160707000313&RURL=#jyk

So they had a good quarter (still pales compared to the iPhone), but we have no idea how their following quarter will go. Sales typically are highest right after launch, so it's not a stretch to say S7 sales will actually drop slightly.

iPhone sales only appear to be falling because of the unusually high sales when the iPhone 6 launched (pent up demand for larger screen iPhones). If you graph their sales by quarter this is easy to see - it's a steady climb with two out-of-place humps. I imagine iPhone sales will soon level off and Apple will sell 200+ million a year, mostly to upgraders with 2-3 year old devices. A position any other phone vender would kill to be in.

As to the video I assumed you had seen it after the storm it set off when posted here.

The S7 is a sucess , as an iPhone user, it's a nice phone.

iPhone sales are dropping , it's a fact, not let play spin the facts, that's Tims job ;) . Not cause it's a bad product in any way, it's just damn expansive .

As for the video, nope , I actually have not seen it. I don't buy into crap that is performance benchmarks or bragging rights, cause every Apple computer I have owned , there was a better performing PC, sometimes by a huge margin.

So I kind of have a laugh when people start bragging about the iPhone performing faster....when Apple top desktop is a pierce of crap performance wise .

Using a S7 or iPhone 6S, both perform great. Who cares which one is marginally faster, as the choice is OS, just as is OS X. Even if the S7 was 50% faster, people who like iOS will not switch, same for android fans

KmanOz

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
This is just further proof that Samsung owners do not read the fine print before purchasing a phone.

Note 1: Screen colors may be over saturated at times.
Note 2: Quad core CPU is slower than a 1 year old iPhone 6S
Note 7: Warning phone may spontaneously blow up while charging. <------------- It's right here

Last edited:
Reactions: FFR and 1041958

Sara Zh

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016

Apple has reportedly hiked orders for parts and components required for the production of the upcoming iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, according to sources from the supply chain in Taiwan (via DigiTimes).

Apple shipped on average 30 million iPhone 6s units a month in the second half of 2015. The company originally predicted shipments of the iPhone 7 this year would reach only 60 percent of that number over the same period, but supply chain sources are today reporting that Apple has boosted its original prediction by 10 percent.

iphone7dummyunits-800x600.jpg

Dummy mockups of iPhone 7 handsets

The hike in order volumes suggests Apple is increasingly upbeat about demand for the new devices among existing iPhone owners seeking to upgrade, despite relatively subdued interest in the iPhone 7 models compared to the pre-launch buzz of previous years.

Another potential factor in Apple's upward revision is Samsung's global recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone last week, which followed numerous complaints that the device caught fire while charging. The news arguably couldn't have come at a worse time for Apple's biggest rival, which has pitched its Note 7 as a direct competitor to Apple's 5.5-inch iPhones.

Samsung has already voluntarily pulled its flagship device from 10 countries, including South Korea and the U.S. Target has reportedly stopped selling the phone, while Amazon and Best Buy have also said they are no longer selling the Note 7. In the latest blow, Consumer Reports has called for an official recall which would make it illegal to sell the phones in the U.S.

Samsung has told customers it will take at least 14 days to replace their phones, and with several mobile operators including T-Mobile offering full refunds to Note buyers over the same week the new iPhones are expected to be announced, Apple's offering could prove a tempting alternative.

A lot depends on how fast Apple can fulfill pre-orders for its new handsets. While the company typically releases an iPhone about two weeks after introducing it, scheduling information from AT&T indicates that the iPhone 7 might not launch until later in the month, on September 23.

Previous information from notable smartphone leaker Even Blass suggested pre-orders for the iPhone 7 will take place this Friday, September 9, two days after the debut event. That date is in line with the schedule from AT&T.

However, Blass also predicted an iPhone launch for September 16, so if the AT&T information is accurate and does relate to release preparations, the previous prediction could be incorrect. September 16 and September 23 are both likely candidates for an iPhone release date.

Despite Apple's revised orders, some suppliers reportedly remain worried that the uplift could be short-lived, given that order volumes for new parts and components may start drifting down in Q4 "on seasonality".

Be sure to check out our "What to Expect" post for a recap on other announcements expected at Wednesday's event and stay tuned to MacRumors for other last-minute news and rumors.

We'll have full live coverage here on MacRumors.com on the event day, as well as through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account, starting at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: Apple Hikes Order Volumes for iPhone 7 Parts in Wake of Samsung Recall
[doublepost=1473133652][/doublepost]iPhone 7 VS iPhone 7 Plus:

Welcome iPhone addicts join in my facebook group for more discussions! https://www.facebook.com/groups/100725540385535/

Suspended
Aug 28, 2016
The S7 is a sucess , as an iPhone user, it's a nice phone.

iPhone sales are dropping , it's a fact, not let play spin the facts, that's Tims job ;) . Not cause it's a bad product in any way, it's just damn expansive .

As for the video, nope , I actually have not seen it. I don't buy into crap that is performance benchmarks or bragging rights, cause every Apple computer I have owned , there was a better performing PC, sometimes by a huge margin.

So I kind of have a laugh when people start bragging about the iPhone performing faster....when Apple top desktop is a pierce of crap performance wise .

Using a S7 or iPhone 6S, both perform great. Who cares which one is marginally faster, as the choice is OS, just as is OS X. Even if the S7 was 50% faster, people who like iOS will not switch, same for android fans

There's no spin to iPhone sales. They are exactly where they should be according to historical trends. Except for the two anomalies where sales spiked. Not sure how you could call it spin - it's a simple fact.

Now as to the S7 - well, with Samsung sales plummeting for almost two years it was inevitable they leveled off. It's just that their leveling off happens to start with a rise in sales whereas Apples leveling was a decline following record sales. In both cases sales are stabilizing.

Performance wise they both perform great - when you do basic simple tasks. When you want to do more then the iPhone is superior. Sometimes by a wide margin. Better to buy the device that's future proof because of its performance than the device that will struggle running tomorrows software.

Oh, what does Apple desktop performance have to do with this? I thought we're talking about phones?

KmanOz

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
Now as to the S7 - well, with Samsung sales plummeting for almost two years it was inevitable they leveled off. It's just that their leveling off happens to start with a rise in sales whereas Apples leveling was a decline following record sales. In both cases sales are stabilizing.

Yeah isn't it funny. They always seem to forget that fact.

Also if Samsung phones are so popular, why is it that only Apple phones are basically cloned before release. Where are the clone Samsung phones getting around that show slight nuances in case design etc. You know why there isn't any, cause no one cares :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.