Apple Hires Former Tesla Engineering VP With Expertise in Car Interiors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Baymowe335, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019

Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Tesla is going to have to fix their profitability problem, if nothing else. Plus, competition is going to eat their lunch, in my opinion.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019 ---
    Yeah, their unit sales aren’t as bad as I’m making it sound. They just aren’t profitable and are losing tax credits which will impact the value proposition.

I don’t believe in them because the product isn’t selling profitably and is an inferior product to gas cars in many important ways, namely range and price.

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Not likely ... especially with Chinese manufacturer backings for the next Gigafactory.

I can gaurantee this is but 1 of MANY reasons Ive was PISSED and jumjped!
    - he wanted Watch as a luxury item: newly announced COO wanted Health; we know who one there. And was a smart move yet BOTH could've been valid.
    - he wanted the car ... above ALL else (after honoring Jobs' Apple Campus design); that's been on-off again too many times.

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Feels, looks, and is cheap. Too much plastic, terrible fit and finish.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

That would be a disaster.

5. PickUrPoison Suspended

Many are if the opinion that it’ll be very difficult to get to full autonomy without LIDAR. But I haven’t followed the industry much, so I don’t have an opinion on that. I do think it’s probable that Apple is pursuing transportation as a service though, rather than selling cars directly to customers.

6. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

Anyone who expects an Apple Car to be under six figures is in for disappointment, I think.
    Unless they stop selling hardware we’re a ways off.

7. PickUrPoison Suspended

One can only hope a complete rethink of the Tesla interior is among the next projects he’s interested in. There’s a lot competing for his attention though.

8. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

There are also many car manufacturers making nicer looking and cheaper cars.

9. AlexJaye macrumors regular

Oh honey. Yes they are.
    Laughing at the Tesla hate on these forums. Tesla is the best car around and my model 3 is incredible. The upgrade is literally similar to going from flip phones to the iPhone back in the day.

10. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

You were saying "but they hardly sell any cars" so profitability is a completely different thing. Valid point but Tesla is changing the battery chemistry using Maxwell patents to substantially reduce the cost of the battery pack by next year.

If you mean range is the "inferior" point, well 200-300 miles is plenty for daily commute and Tesla supercharging adds more than enough miles faster than you can order an In-n-Out burger on a road trip. I really don't see any other potentially "inferior" points about the car. It's much safer than the average gas car and the fact that you always start the day with a full battery means you never worry about whether or not to get gas on the way home.
    Bob Lutz, a hater of Elon Musk had this to say:
    https://insideevs.com/news/355061/bob-lutz-tesla-model-3-fit-and-finish/
    it's actually the future.
    no one wants to maintain a car, store it, change insurance every year to something cheaper, refill it with electricity/gas, etc...
    only street racers and enthusiasts will still want to manually drive. everyone else just wants to get to the destination.

11. Jim Lahey macrumors 6502

Jim Lahey

Good idea! Focus all resources into a declining market instead of exploring new ones. Business 101 ;)

12. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Tesla's are very bland vehicles. The Model X is an upturned boat.

That said, they seem to work pretty well. I tried a couple but the level of minimalism in a Model 3 is just not me.

13. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I have no clue why. Interiors in those cars are absolutely godawful. Quality if ok but the ergonomics and engineering is worst than even the cheaper regular cars. If anything people designing that crap should be permanently unemployed.

14. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

One pedal driving is a reality in many EV's these days. I use it all the time in mine.

15. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Wow, just 8500 cars sold in the Netherlands and still number one?! They really must be a bycicle country.

16. Macbooks Rock macrumors newbie

Macbooks Rock

For all the people complaining about the interior, tbh I rather they spend that money on a huge screen and cameras and developing self driving software, I don't want a car with real leather interior and 2005 Technology.

17. Seanm87 macrumors 6502

I wish there was a dislike button

18. Macbooks Rock macrumors newbie

Macbooks Rock

It's all fun and games, until you write an unpopular opinion and you start getting dislikes right and left, I use Reddit and getting downvoted can ruin your mood, I like it this way here.

19. AlumaMac macrumors regular

AlumaMac

Hmm, I feel like there is a future "Fast & Furious" movie plot in there somewhere...

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

There is a 0% chance this winds up being better than owning a car for low income people. The brilliant thing about car ownership is you can pay off your car and not owe any more payments on it. You can keep a car for years without paying much at all. The idea of paying Uber or Lyft (because those will be the two options) $300 a month in perpetuity for my mobility is disgusting.

This kind of "it's the future" stuff is myopic and urban-centric. It's not rooted in reality for a huge percentage of Americans.

21. kaycrystal626 macrumors member

kaycrystal626

Apple should buy Tesla when its stock below $200!

22. freedomlinux macrumors newbie

freedomlinux

TESLÄ? I'd build one, as long as the allen wrench is included

23. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Tesla needed to make far more progress before competition really starts. They are still not making money and other manufacturers are going to start building EVs when the market and tech is ready.

The car business is ultra competitive. There is almost no brand loyalty.

24. justperry macrumors G4

justperry

Nope, it was a good phone, but lots of things it didn't have, like copy/paste and MMS, amongst many more.

Touch was extremely good though, design as well and more, but by no means a perfect product.

25. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i didn't say it was perfect. but it was revolutionary and amazing for that point in time.
    touch?