Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I pretty much stop using animoji after like a week or two. Regular emojis are more convenient and effective.

They are now but I can see how Animoji and Memoji can take over. As Apple builds out the Animoji characters and improves the technology to better detect expressions, they start to get up to par with available emojis, but are far more expressive with virtually unlimited variations.

I expect the next step is to have recommended Animoji as you’re typing. The True Depth camera can observe you as you read and type, noting your actual expressions and suggesting them above the keyboard as emoji are today.

PSCConMP

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
No one is copying Macs, iPad or iPhones anymore. I don't think Tim Cook is even calling them world-class.

andrew12

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Oh, thank dog, I thought Apple was falling behind in the tech world... Phew! Courage, y’all

In the latest iOS 12.2 beta, Apple has introduced four new Animoji characters that can be used in the Messages and FaceTime apps. The new Animoji include a giraffe, a shark, an owl, and a boar.

newanimojicharacters-800x226.jpg

Animoji are designed to work on devices with a TrueDepth camera system, which now includes modern iPhone and iPad Pro models. Animoji are animated, 3D emoji characters that you control with your face.

When you use an Animoji, the TrueDepth camera nalyzes more than 50 muscle movements in different areas of the face, detecting movement of the eyebrows, cheeks, chin, eyes, jaw, lips, eyes, tongue, and mouth.

All of your facial movements are translated to the Animoji characters, making them reflect your expression and emotion. Animoji can be shared with friends in the Messages app as stickers and as videos, they can be used with the Effects camera in Messages, and you can use them instead of your own face when FaceTiming someone.

There are a total of 24 Animoji now, including the four new ones. Existing Animoji include monkey, robot, cat, dog, alien, fox, poop, pig, panda, bunny, rooster, unicorn, lion, dragon, skull, bear, tiger, koala, t-rex, and ghost.

When Animoji launched in 2017 alongside the iPhone X, there were 12, with Apple steadily adding new fun characters to play with.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New Giraffe, Shark, Owl and Boar Animoji in iOS 12.2 Beta

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
so glad that this is where the innovation goes. So inspired by all these amazing features. /s

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I’ve been waiting for these for soooooo long.
Wait I have an iPhone 6s can’t use Animoji’s. Lol

nurban1992

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2015
This is the **** Apple chooses to invest r&d money into? smh

Apple makes billions of dollars every single quarter. This is a small, point-update to iOS. If you honestly believe that this is the *only* thing Apple has been focusing on, you’re absurdly delusional. They surely have a small team of people at most dedicated to Animoji content, aimed to make iMessage a more compelling platform. You shouldn’t expect anything groundbreaking or significant until iOS 13, which they will be debuting in June.
[doublepost=1549314793][/doublepost]
Where’s the FaceTime fix we were promised?
They’re working on it... might be another week or so. Until then, Apple have shut off their Group FaceTime servers shortly after this bug was publicly acknowledged, therefore there is no way the bug can be exploited. So, you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: orbital~debris

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I would love it if the rest of their selling gear wasn’t so stagnant and outdated. But to be honest every change or new thing has to be celebrated these days.
It’s a good thing there are many apple products from where to choose what you want to celebrate.
Are you sure? Haven’t seen any decent hardware announcement since 2012 that came out flawless.
I think that is 2010 not 2012.

nurban1992

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2015
It's kinda sad that Apple doesn't improve the os instead wasting time with this BS.
The GUI hasn't changed since ios 7. It pretty much looks the same.
Where is the innovation? Oh wait. We have a giraffe! :rolleyes:
Says the guy with a Memoji selfie set as their icon, which is of the same category as an Animoji.

This is an iOS 12 point-update. They’re meant to bring bug fixes, optimizations, and smaller features such as additional settings, UI tweaks, and Animoji’s. You should be expecting anything major until iOS 13, which they will be presenting as beta in June. iOS 13 is also heavily rumored to feature a home screen revamp and dark mode, so your wishes may soon be granted.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
This is some kind of C.I.A’s tactic to make people feel dumb so that they can prey on them.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple makes billions of dollars every single quarter. This is a small, point-update to iOS. If you honestly believe that this is the *only* thing Apple has been focusing on, you’re absurdly delusional. They surely have a small team of people at most dedicated to Animoji content, aimed to make iMessage a more compelling platform. You shouldn’t expect anything groundbreaking or significant until iOS 13, which they will be debuting in June.
[doublepost=1549314793][/doublepost]
They’re working on it... might be another week or so. Until then, Apple have shut off their Group FaceTime servers shortly after this bug was publicly acknowledged, therefore there is no way the bug can be exploited. So, you have nothing to worry about.
Nothing to worry about? What about the fact that Group FaceTime no longer works? Seems like something to worry about, since i need it and use it regularly.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Correct. Instead they chose to wait for Intel’s ninth gen CPUs (completely skipping the eighth gen chips), and also AMD’s new GPU, presumably.

iMac is usually gets yearly updates, but not for 2018.

You mean the ninth gen CPUs that have been out for quite some time now. Apple should support AMD and nVidia. Besides just think how many Animoji could be made if the artists making them had some real power?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.