Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Love the minimalism.

It supports the weight of the phone purely by the lightning connector?

Yes and it's not the first of its kind. I've had the iPhone dock (with no back support) from The Lightning Dock in slate ever since I got my black and slate iPhone 5. I'm now using it with my 6. They no longer offer the slate color though.

iPhone_6_and_Black_Dock_f06de043-1c0b-4f5f-9f4e-925031ca9aeb.jpg

iPad_Air_Dock.jpg

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
I'll buy a generic at 5 below for 5 dollars thank you

Except that a 5 dollar dock would never contain a DAC required to provide the audio out. I have been looking for Lightning docking stations with audio out that use the Lightning connector for audio (and not just an extra 3.6 mm jack as that is a royal pain) and eventually had to give up.

It looks like Apple will have at least three sales to to replace my previous shoddy attempts at creating this functionality.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Just in time for Apple to release the 6s with 1m resonant charging!

I have been waiting for that for years. I'm actually hoping it doesn't come until the 2016 iPhone. I wanna hold onto my 6 for awhile.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
So much whining here.

It's a dock, from Apple. Hence high quality, so stop comparing it to cheap a** flimsy third party docks. And stop claiming the lightning part will snap off within a week, because it won't. There is no "back support" because it's not necessary, because Apple tested this. Also it looks better that way, minimalistic and clean. It has audio out, too, hence a built-in DAC. It's not a bargain, but it's also not overpriced. Just like every other Apple product. You get what you pay for, every time.

So stop the whining, it just makes you look cheap and/or uninformed.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Ripoff accessory price as usual.

You can get a Belkin dock for half the price, and an Apple-looking dock for ~$5 on EBay...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Isn't the spelling "Secedes" as in the past tense of succession and not "succeeds" as in to achieve success?

----------

Hah, never thought I'd see something like this! Love the minimalism. Okay Apple, now do one for the Watch please.

Well considering the Lightning port is something like 4 years old... we can expect one for the Apple Watch in 4 years. :p

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
$39 and White plastic? When can we get rid of white plastic Apple??!!

Make it metal: space gray, silver, gold, then maybe I'll consider it.

At the very least, offer black plastic or something dark for those of us that hate white plastic.

Ridiculous.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
How long until USB-C replaces Lightning on Apple products, making this and the older connectors worthless or requiring yet MORE dongles? :rolleyes:

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Cause you prefer to buy 4 separate adapters? I guess at least each adapter looks cleaner, though an expansive alternative ;)

Apple always focuses on making the best product - not the most backward compatible. If you prefer the latter approach, I'm sure Microsoft would welcome you with open arms.

----------

$39 and White plastic? When can we get rid of white plastic Apple??!!

Make it metal: space gray, silver, gold, then maybe I'll consider it.

At the very least, offer black plastic or something dark for those of us that hate white plastic.

Ridiculous.

So black plastic to look like every other piece of disposable consumer electronics since the 1980s?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
My first thought too. How is that lightning connector not going to break off/bend over time..?

No back support makes this dock useless for my iPhone 6 Plus.

See post #101. The lighting connector is sturdy enough to support the weight of iDevices even in the long term. I've had the aftermarket dock with no back support using the same lightning cable since iPhone 5. Still going strong since 2012 as I'm now using it with iPhone 6.

The new version of this dock might include a back support, but it was optional on mine and I got the one without it.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Very basic, so obviously overpriced.

what? wheres a quality dock for less? my elevation labs dock was double this! and it has these major problems:

1) no audio out
2) doesnt fit a 6+ or a 6 w/ a thick case

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is why I like Apple Design. Image

So you chose the Smart Dock Multimedia Hub as an example of Samsung Design compared to Apple? Uh, okay. Why not choose the Charging Dock instead? You know, since it performs the same function.;) Except there's less chance of damaging the charger or the phone since the phone would be supported.

As for that media hub, I would take it all day over a charging dock. It has HDMI out for a monitor or TV and USB connections for peripherals or added media. Apple should create a lightning media hub, imo of course. Much better than a $40 charge and sync dock. Many uses.

Attachments

• ChargeDock2.jpg
    ChargeDock2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 54
  • ChargeDock3.jpg
    ChargeDock3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 64
  • ChargeDock4.jpg
    ChargeDock4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 65

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
This would have been nice 3 years ago. The lightning connector looks like it will break off if the phone is knocked into accidentally.

I'm still waiting for the perfect watch/iPhone dock combo.

but why would you knock a phone that's sitting on a shelf?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Apple always focuses on making the best product - not the most backward compatible. If you prefer the latter approach, I'm sure Microsoft would welcome you with open arms.

Microsoft does not do hardware mate. A software company that dabbles in some hardware.

What is your definition of Best? And why would you say backwards compatible? You know you can get adapters for the lightning port for current interfaces. See Apple store mate, look at lightning adapters.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Microsoft does not do hardware mate. A software company that dabbles in some hardware.

Tell that to the Surface team, since they're on their third iteration of that, with regular and Pro versions.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

What is your definition of Best? And why would you say backwards compatible? You know you can get adapters for the lightning port for current interfaces. See Apple store mate, look at lightning adapters.

Microsoft absolutely is a hardware company now. They make tablets, phones, Xbox, and likely more in the not too distant future.

Dethklok

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Microsoft does not do hardware mate.

Are you serious? They sold like 80 million XBox360s. I used to have a Microsoft Sidewider, it was amazing. They also make mice, mp3 players, and tablets. Technically they also make the Lumia phones now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.