Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlabonte21

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2015
So far I'm less than impressed w/ my (T-Mobile) iPhone 7.

I came from an iPhone 6 and I expected much better data speeds, but I feel the Intel modem is not up to snuff w/ Qualcomm.

Also, the 7 is not staying paired w/ my 2013 Elantra bluetooth. I had no issue w/ my 6.

Hopefully firmware will resolve most of this...:(

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
My parents and sister are having an issue similar to this, but with their AT&T Microcell. The iPhone 7's for some reason don't lock to the microcell. My iPhone 6S Plus locks to the microcell just fine.

I have the same issue with my Verizon LTE Network Extender and our iPhone 7 phones (me and my wife). The iPhone 7 doesn't want to connect to the extender. They will occasionally connect for a brief period (and then lose their connection shortly after), but very rarely - most times they don't connect at all. No issues with the extender and our iPhone 6S phones - only the iPhone 7.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
WTH did Apple go with a different modem this time around?! Whilst the 6S could work virtually on any network in the world, Apple decides to gimp the 7 with an inferior Intel LTE chip? Sounds political so Apple could get a better deal with Qualcomm on the 7S/8...

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
" the iPhone 7 has an Intel modem rather than a Qualcomm modem used for Verizon and Sprint models."

Hold it, I thought the only difference these days was the SIM card.

I bought my last phone (6) directly from Apple as a generic phone and used my SIM card from Verizon. I was really tired of all that locking stuff (although my previous Verizon phone wasn't locked) and wanted to be free from contracts with the phone carrier.

Now I find ATT wants a special phone for their customers. Run...

No, there is no "Sim Free" version sold in the US yet. The Verizon/Sprint model has support for CDMA and the GSM channels of the ATT/TMobile via a Qualcomm chip. The ATT/T-Mobile version just has GSM via an Intel chip.

Basically if you buy the phone outright from Apple, I would get the Verizon/Sprint version even though I am on ATT. Buying the phone out right from Apple even when tied to a carrier still provides it to you unlocked. Or I would wait until Apple sold the "Sim Free" version.

Look at the FAQ when buying the iPhone at Apple's page. The phone is only locked when Carrier Financing is selected.:

"Nearly all iPhone models sold on apple.com are “unlocked” — which means your iPhone isn’t tied to a single carrier. Your iPhone will be locked to your carrier only if you choose carrier financing from AT&T or Sprint."

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Software update hopefully will rectify this issue. Seems to be the consensus among the majority.

Nerdina4x4

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Kentucky
Mine and my wife's phones both did this. But we had never turned on airplane mode. i didn't notice it until she tried to call me and it would not go through. When i tried to call her it would not make a sound and the speaker tab wasn't even on. Found this article and turned airplane mode on and off and the phone as well and it works. Hopefully that was a one time thing or i may be making a trip to the Apple store.

simon-says

macrumors regular
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
I took a road trip yesterday with my iPhone 7. It seemed nearly every cell tower switch I would lose connectivity completely. Causing me to either restart, turn on/off cellular, or airplane mode. Also when I was near the edge of a tower my phone would switch to show 3G but I couldn't get anything. Meanwhile my wife's old 6+ was perfectly fine. I had used my 5s fine in these same areas.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Do you have any thoughts about... you know... like... the actual topic? Don't get me wrong. We all appreciate your thoughts about Samsung, and we love how you've given them across unrelated threads.
Yes, it's likely firmware related as this is Apple's first time using the Intel modems. Expect it to be fixed with a 10.0.2 update or a carrier settings update.
[doublepost=1474299530][/doublepost]
WTH did Apple go with a different modem this time around?! Whilst the 6S could work virtually on any network in the world, Apple decides to gimp the 7 with an inferior Intel LTE chip? Sounds political so Apple could get a better deal with Qualcomm on the 7S/8...
Not political, but business. Apple likes to have multiple suppliers.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
And not enjoy a great phone for an entire year? Just get a replacement at the Apple Store or through AppleCare. Living in fear of a few bugs is no way to live. And yes, I upgrade every year and don't have problems Apple's service team haven't fixed.

Some of us don't have time to play these games. I like Apple products as much as the next guy, but I've got better ways to live my life than to keep going to the Apple Store for issues like these.

I expect more from Apple.

Reactions: melendezest

middleseat

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I'm having the "no service" issue on my iPhone 6 on IOS 10 (with t-mobile). It occurs after switching airplane mode off... and after having been on wifi for a while then leaving the place with wifi.

If I reboot my phone... then I get service back. It's a software bug.

I got this issue this past saturday on my iPhone 7 on VZW network. First the LTE symbol disappear but i still have 4 dots of signal. I turn on Airplane mode on and off, and then i got No Service. Took about 5 mins for signal to come back. Hope Apple fix this bug soon!

This is pretty much what happens to me.

I'll be leaving my house, where my iPhone 7 has been connected to wifi for a few hours, then it'll transition to "NO SERVICE". It comes back within 5 minutes, but still cause for concern nonetheless.

Fyi, happening on iPhone 7 Black, 128GB, on Verizon.

Last edited:

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
Sounds like every single laptop with Intel Wireless in them. Once you put them to sleep and then wake them up, they can never attached to the network they were just on or any other network. Only solution was to reboot the laptop. Software issue? Maybe, I say more to do with the Intel Wireless Chip. I have seen this all too often on way to many laptops.

Reactions: sbailey4

MarkMoseley1

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
St. Louis, MO
So anyone with a iPhone 7/7Plus on Verizon or Sprint have this issue? Please post. I was thinking about leaving AT&T for Verizon once I found out there was a difference in the chip set between carriers. This issue here seems to validate what my concern is.

cadal99

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
Colorado
I've had a similar, but not exactly same thing happen. Turned on airplane mode during a meeting yesterday, turned it off and it would not re-connect to my apple watch. noticed that the bluetooth icon on the iphone kept flashing like it was trying to connect to something. would go solid - but the watch would never connect. Rebooted the watch first - no change. rebooted the iphone and it reconnected fine. Trying it again today everything seems o.k. so I chalked it up to a fluke... but given this... gotta wonder if it's something else happening going in and out of airplane mode, not necessarily (only) related to modem?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Sounds like every single laptop with Intel Wireless in them. Once you put them to sleep and then wake them up, they can never attached to the network they were just on or any other network. Only solution was to reboot the laptop. Software issue? Maybe, I say more to do with the Intel Wireless Chip. I have seen this all too often on way to many laptops.

You've got some truth to this. Intel really screwed up with the super buggy skylake chipset along with their craptastic wifi cards. Check out the Dell/HP/Lenovo/Microsoft forums about recurring skylake issues. If my wife's 7+ keeps doing this over the next 10 days it's going back to the Apple store. On our Dell XPS and Surface Pro 4's, they constantly have sleep issues and wifi issues that seem to get fixed with another new driver release but then comes back a month or two later.
Not going to deal with Intel's junky hardware/drivers. They make great CPU's but their other stuff has been pretty bad lately.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
What is all the excitement about the iPhones display? Unless you are doing photo color corrections (my high end color and photo editing done on Mac), watching 4K videos (not yet), one has to wonder why the need for such an enhanced display. Especially with the photos (selfies) I have seen published on FaceBook. :confused: A nice to have feature that I would not turn down but, once the iPhone display passed clear text and easy on the eyes, I became a happy camper.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Glad my iPhone 7 Plus is on backorder with Bestbuy. I'd rather everyone else beta test the iPhone 7 so when I get mine, the major bugs will be worked out.

If Apple wasn't so damn secretive, they could probably test these phones out better in public with more people so we didn't have so many issues when they come out. It seems every new iPhone model has some cell/wifi/BT issues.

I don't ever hear much about Android having cell/wifi/BT issues (preparing for flood of responses showing me I'm wrong)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.