Other Apple is slowing down older iPhones based on battery wear level [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IsaacM, Dec 10, 2017.

1. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

No way you getting it for free. We talking about apple here. Others were even turned away when their battery was above 80%.... BUT you could always purchase a new iphone x......This for sure will fix the issue you are having with your iphone 6.

2. Coxy macrumors member

That is the most hilarious solution I've heard!

Sorry I missed the S! It's a 6s I have here and it's still under warranty. Hence trying to wear it down just a few more %.

3. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

The problem is that even if you ran the battery down to zero every single day and charged it up to 100% for the next 6 months, and you got the battery down to 75-80% in coconut battery, chances are high that Apple's battery test will not find the battery to be worn enough to replace under warranty. They have a lot of false negatives on their diagnostics, despite the battery being bad enough for iOS 11 to to throttle the phone.

4. cynics macrumors G4

For me personally Apples diag lined up with an app I use called Battery Life - check runtimes .

Although I can get fairly large variations in that app over time most based on temperature. When they checked it I had 81% capacity left and that is what the that app said when I was walking out of the store. Now with a new battery and a couple days it reports 99%.

EDIT: When they reported 81% I was WELL outside my warranty period in case someone things they were trying to pull a fast one.

5. Radon87000 macrumors 604

I would pay Apple $100 or even more if I was allowed to downgrade my older devices to iOS 10.3.3. I am serious. I can’t believe I missed this golden opportunity. Nooooooooooooooo! Damn it.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

7. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Where do you get the drivel from that you continue to pollute this forum with?

What does jail breaking have to do with the worn battery performance restriction?

Also, why do you continually perpetuate the “few defective handsets” nonsense in every post you can when Apple themselves say it has installed the restriction on all versions of the 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7 and 7 Plus?

Any of those handsets with battery wear are affected, that could be tens of millions (or more likely, even hundreds of millions) of handsets.

8. FelicityW macrumors regular

Yesterday I took my phone to Apple in Scottsdale, AZ (I made the reservation a week prior) and it had about 80% charging capability, but it discharged very rapidly, making so that it needed to be charged about every 4 hours. And it was sluggish. As I have one of the really crappy 6S' (made during Sept / Oct 2015) was free after I drove 100 miles each way to the closest Apple Store. Our local Apple certified repair place recommended taking it to an Apple Store because "if the tab breaks in the replacement process a new phone is the only alternative and then it would have to be sent in anyway", and furthermore they would charge $30 labor regardless of the warranty program if I decided to use them). I arrived just before 10am when the store opened (appointment for 10am), and despite a reservation for a battery replacement, the reservation doesn't mean they had a battery, and I would have had to take the phone back when a battery for me arrived (two weeks? three?). In a wise move, since I arrived at opening the day's shipment of batteries had not yet been allocated to prior customers, Apple recognized the distance and the fact that my phone 6S qualified for a free battery (the Genius I dealt with wasn't even aware of the free battery program and I told him about it), so I was told to return in 2.5 hours to pick up my phone. Evidentally, they expect everyone to come in twice. Apple phone support had told me that 1. some stores will call to let battery replacement customers know there are no batters, though that was clearly not the plan at this store and 2. that sometimes Apple makes arrangements for loaner phones, which was going to be my meltdown strategy if they couldn't fix my phone same day.

How does this play out? Does Apple really expect people to go without their phones? I lived in Silicon Valley for thirty years and it seems that Apple thinks everyone has five Apple Stores within twenty minutes. Now, I live in Prescott, AZ. If I couldn't take a day to drive my phone to the store and wait for repair, mailing is the only option. How does that work? This is a PHONE (and for many, our only phone). For the time my phone was with Apple, I used my iPad and Google Voice; I am tech savvy. How in the world does Apple think people can give up their primary communication device for even a couple of days? I have this recurring scene where a lost hiker is trying to phone for help; but sadly has a crappy Apple battery and the battery dies (after only four hours) and the hiker dies, all because Apple didn't tell anyone their dirty little secret.

Addendum: Well, ha ha. I don't use my phone to play games very much. Just Bejeweled for a short change of pace. The game stalled and locked up all the time and i just thought "oh, crappy game. EA (a former employer of mine) must only want paying players. Well, the new battery fixed that issue. Does Apple think we will call with every little issue? App developers should be pissed. Apple's slowing of apps to protect the battery life reflected badly on them.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Tim Cooks official response moments after reading Felecitys plight:

[​IMG]

"That'll teach her not to try and get around our planned obsolescence! Maybe next time she'll learn to simply pay us $700-$1250 every two years for the newest model and she won't have anymore problems, am'i'right guys?"

10. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I saw this and could have done it, but for what? Nostalgia?

11. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Meanwhile my iPhone 6s Plus (which is 2 years old now) is running iOS 9.3.3 with 6% battery wear on coconut battery. I'm just like "This is why I don't update my crap."!

12. Radon87000 macrumors 604

No throttling
    No home button delay
    No battery drain
    No stuttering
    Making iPhone 6 usable again.

iPhone 7 Plus- iOS 10.3.3
    iPhone 6- iOS 8.4.1
    iPad Air 2- iOS 10.3.3
    iPad Pro 12.9- iOS 10.3.3
    iPhone X- iOS 11

This is what I would have done

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I don’t have any issues with those items. No home button lag. no random shutdowns. Battery life is good and stuttering has been long gone.

14. Radon87000 macrumors 604

The iOS updates drain battery heavily for 6 months when a new iOS launches. If you never update then there is no battery drain and hence your wear level is low after 2 years
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    Which is why unlike with Antennagate where Jobs was leading from the front, Tim Cook is nowhere to be seen on this scandal

15. Bigg Macc macrumors newbie

Bigg Macc

Very true.

Poor antenna was a poor design by Apple but not intentional. Throttling is planned, intentional fact concealing.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

What about essentially blaming the users for the poor antenna design? Was that intentional? Was that good leadership from the front?

17. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

No, I reckon Apple expects people who can't live without their devices or don't have any spare devices to make use of the Express Replacement Service for an extra $30 (or $100+ for AC+).

18. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Most Hilarious? You havent been here long enough........:)

19. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

There is no scandal. Maybe that is why Tim Cook is nowhere to be seen.

20. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Defective iPhone's: The consumer electronics industry runs at a 5% defective rate meaning that 5% of all iPhone's out there have a defect, some of which could impact batery life. 5% of 94 MILLION iPhone's sold in the last 2 years is 4.7 MILLION iPhone's that are defective.

Jailbroken iPhone's: One of the first things jailbreakers do is enhance speed by overclocking and as such overtax the processor. This, in turn, can prematurely weaken the battery. This is the reason why Apple warns against the practice of jailbreaking per their bulletins on the issue.

Those two points are not drivel. They are fact.

21. dnsp macrumors member

Pure gold, keep it up. Tip: you're lying (as always). Overclocking on iOS is not possible even with jailbreak. Tweaks like Speed Intensifier only speed up the animations giving the UI a snappier perception.

22. zackdbassist, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2018

zackdbassist macrumors newbie

Overclock? Long since overclocking even on a jailbroken iOS isn't possible. This kinda ignorance.

And exactly the same old posts repeated over and over again. Well, I believe you have these written on a note somewhere and you just copy and paste them, don't you?

23. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Jobs did not try to hide the issue and escape unnoticed. It was also not planned obsolescence as that was their latest flagship. Tim Cook was trying hard not to lose the potential sale of 16 million iPhone upgrades because of a slower phone.

24. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Those involved in a scandal and have a guilty conscience never come forward for scrutiny. When we have governments investigating Apple for planned obsolescence that's a new low for Apple since the company incorporated.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

By blaming the users for not holding the phone correctly Jobs wasn't trying to deflect from the issue and blame the users in the process? Is there another bridge that you can try to sell to all of us?