Apple: Just another fraud company.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by John-boy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. John-boy macrumors newbie

First off, if you dont like someone complaining about apple then I suggest you stop reading now. Secondly this post will refrence the same problems that I have already posted about before and you can read here,(http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=627026).

I guess ill start at the beggining, about a month ago now my iMac G5 was brought into the sagemore apple store for a genius bar appointment. I suspected that the harddrive was failing and the genius confimed it was. At this point he said my options were for them to put in the same size hdd for about $300.00, since the computer is now 4 years old and the applecare has expired, or I can buy one online and install it myself. Obviously i chose the latter.

After waiting a few days for the hdd to come from newegg it arrived and was ready to install. After installing the hdd, the computer would not boot. No grey screen, no way to boot from a cd, just a black screen, the power light, and after a few minutes the fans would kick in at full force. I thought maybe it was a bad hdd, not a big deal ill just rma it. To be sure i tested it in my cousins iMac G5, the same as mine, and it was recognized and booted with no problems. So I made another appointment with the genius bar.

After bringing the comp in the genius reset the pmu and tried to flash the pram. He then took out the harddrive and tried to power it on but nothing would happen. After examing the computer for a few minutes he noticed a busted capicitor on the logic board, which apparently he failed to notice when he took off the back panel the first time to show me how to replace the failed hdd. Now it seemed like i was going to have to wait about week to get the computer back, it is worth mentioning that this would be the third logic board in my imac now as the orginal was replaced about eight months ago. Now i was concerned about the cost because the program that my mac had fallen under to get the logic board fixed the first time had expired on December 15, 2008 (http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/)and the logic board is a $900.00 repair.
    The genius then informed me that they had in fact extended that program if your imac met the criteria (specific serial numbers, busted capcitor) which mine did so it was going to be replaced free of charge.

Now it has been about a week and half since i orginally brought the imac in for the failed hdd and i get a call from the apple store. I thought great maybe they had the part in stock and it's done. Unfortunalty my luck, which is going to get even worse later, was not that good and they needed to order in another part for the imac. They said that the heat monititoring cable for the hdd had been damaged and that they had ordered it to be replaced with no problems aka. i would have to wait a few more days. At this point i was starting to get slightly annoyed because i was moving down to Virginia to start a job and it is about a 4 hour drive up to south Jersey just get my computer. But again they said everything would be covered so i couldnt really complain.

Now it was about 2 weeks since the initial visit to the apple store and i get phone call from them around 10am Saturday morning. They had gotten all the parts in and had replaced everything that needed to be replaced, or so i thought.

This is where my faith in Apple really died and where the heart of my story is. After installing the new logic board, power supply(its part of the logic board replacement) and hdd cable... the computer was still not booting. They then said that the video cable was corroded (i think thats the term they used) and that on my particular model the video cable was attached to the lcd display and now that whole part had to be replaced. I specifically asked the man on the phone with me if it was going to be covered, he informed that it was all covered. Great it was all covered i would just have to wait another week or so and it would finally be done.

About a week later i called to see if the computer was ready yet and they said it wasnt but it was at the top of the queue, ok fine not really much i can do about it. This was two days before MLK day (January 17). On MLK day they call my parents at 830am saying that my computer is finished and ready to be picked up.

They then call me a few days later and tell me this, " Okay your mac is all ready to go there is just a charge of $296.32 for the display repair." I was instantly confused and polietly explained to the lady on the phone that the apple rep that had called about the lcd replacement intially had said that it would be covered (logically why would i authorize a 300.00 repair, the comp is only worth about 600.00 now). She then said that it came right down from coporate and that she was looking at the case notes right in front of her and it was not going to be covered. I told her would call her back after i called corporate, obviously there was some confusion. When i got corporate on the phone they explained to me that even though everyone that works at apple is part of a single team, each individual store is given free reign to run itself. So the sagemore store was saying it was corporat's fault and corporate was saying its sagemore's. Now i was getting pissed, they were giving me this run around bs and i had done nothing but try to explain my situation, so i called the sagemore store back. The manager i spoke with on the phone ( her name was trina) was very very rude, these were her exact words, " Sir we can have this conversation all day. You can either pay the charge and get a computer that works, or we can put the old display in and you can get one that doesnt." They gave me a ****ing ultimatum.

After this i filed a grievence but the guy has yet to get back to me and i dont think he will, after all what can he do? This really comes down to my word against thiers. I just want to know what happened to good business practices and the customer is always right? I thought apple prided themselves on thier customer support, obviously i was wrong. The fact of the matter is they never informed me of the charge, not when they intially told me about the repair, not when the called my parents, only after it was done.

I am just really really dissapointed, this is coming from someone whose faimly has spent thousands of dollars in that store( a dual powermac G5, 23 ACD, 3 ibooks, and my imac most recently not to mention all the others over the years.) and to be treated this way is just unacceptable. Not to mention the smugness of the genuises at that store, i realize that the average consumer doesnt know what a graphics card is or that the new imac's use laptop parts but that doesnt give them the excuse to act like everyone that doesnt work there is an idiot.

Hopefully some of you will read this story and think twice about buying that new mac. They are great computers when the work but dont expect not to get screwed hand over fist when, not if, they break.

And when they do break DO NOT GO TO THE SAGEMORE STORE. Trust me.
    Also there are probably some spelling/grammer errors i didnt catch so i apologize in advance for those.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I am sorry that your representative outright lied to you that it would be covered. File a complaint; they're made to record conversations. I hope you got his name/credentials.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like you damaged the HD sensor cable when you tried to replace the HD yourself. They repaired your damage for FREE.

Computer is out of warranty. They were nice to do some of the repair for free. If you can persuade them nicely, they might even cover the rest of it, but sounds like you are quite hostile, and people won't really give you a break for being hostile.

How come your January 2008 post said you sold your iMac G5?

4. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

It is hard to take you seriously, OP, when you throw a word like "fraud" around so frivolously.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Indeed! Labeling Apple as a "fraud" company, just because one customer had a bad experience, is inaccurate and prejudicial. If your attitude with them was similar to that you display in this forum, I would have charged you double!

6. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

So...why not just take her up on her offer and not pay the repair costs? Put the money towards a newer mac...they're not forcing you to do anything here...they're giving you a choice.

They held up their part of the Applecare agreement...and now that your Applecare has expired, why would you expect them to cover repairs for free? Even if a "man on the phone" said it would be fully covered, wouldn't you find that strange? If they repaired machines out of Applecare for free, why would anyone bother buying Applecare in the first place?

If it were me I'd want to make sure that his offer was documented, so I'd get his name, employee number and a call reference number so that if someone else down the road questioned what "the man" said, I could have some proof that the conversation happened. They usually journal every customer service session so that this sort of confusion doesn't happen...you just have to make sure the person you're talking to is taking the time to journal what he's saying.

Sorry if I'm not showing the type of sympathy/understanding you may have been expecting, but I'm confused as to why people have such unreasonable expectations from Apple. In the end, they're not a charitable organization...they're a business.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Some people have problems, most others don't. Do you really think Apple are worse than all the similar companies out there?

I've bought 3 Macs new, and family members have bought a further 3; I never had any DOA problems or major issues of any kind. If you had the same luck you wouldn't be subjecting us to this rant I suppose.

Go buy a PC. I'm sure they're more honest.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I generally find that the customer is generally wrong. I do not have a problem going the extra mile for a customer to make them happy and ensure customer loyalty. But there is a line. If you always give the customer exactly what they want, your business won't last very long.

9. Turmoil macrumors regular

I know, send them a letter about how they are a fraud company for not fixing your out of warranty computer for free. That will work.

yawn.

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I like how people always through this around like it means they deserve preferential treatment. I don't give a rats ass how much you spend in my store - it's still peanuts compared to the yearly sales of the store, and if it makes you think you can be a jackass, then I'd sooner loose your business and not have to deal with you.

11. GMACUK macrumors newbie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John-boy View Post
    I recently sold my iMac G5 and was wondering which macbook would last longer. I am going to be in college for a while so i need the laptop last all of 6 years or close to it. I am thinking the pro would last longer because of the led screens etc... but it is expensive and probably overkill for what i need. Any ideas would be appreciated. (btw first time posting!)

Okaaay.So you're posting about a Mac you don't even own???:D

12. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I went to taco bell.

They said my taco would have 3/4 of shredded cheddar cheese.

I weighed it and it was 1/8 off.

Taco Bell: Just another fraud company

13. jcosmide macrumors member

I've bought nearly all of my Apple products at the Sagemore store in addition to having my iMac at the genius bar there twice and I've never had anything less than excellent service.

I also don't think you understand the word "fraud" or its application in the English language.

14. macmee Suspended

macmee

There aren't any Apple stores where I live (I don't even know if there are any in Canada at all). The only place to buy Macs are BestBuy and Futureshop, that's where I got mine. It's a shame you couldn't get your G5 fixed without going through all that trouble. However the Mac is several years old, and without warranty- so I would've used this as an excuse to get a new iMac. The new ones are supposed to be released in several days:D.

15. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

http://www.askoxford.com

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So shall we wait for a bloody good explanation from John-Boy, or do we think he is trolling?

17. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I just want a refund for my Taco Bell cheese!!!!
    :D:D

18. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Where in Canada are you from? There's plenty of Apple and authorized-Apple stores where I live (Vancouver).

19. John-boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe me I wish had sold it unfortunately that sale fell through.

20. macmee Suspended

macmee

The very highly populated province of Nova Scotia.

21. John-boy thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that applies perfectly to the situation. The issue here is not what they did or didn't cover, the issue is that they said something was going to be covered and then went back on their word. I would never have expected them to fix it for free if they hadnt told me otherwise and i was in no way hostile to anyone i ever talked to.

Admittedly the fraud title was out of anger and was not a good choice of words.

22. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Ouch. (no offense or anything...):D

EDIT: I retract that...NS is the birthplace of Sid the Kid!

23. macmee Suspended

macmee

None taken:p

24. Turmoil macrumors regular

But you started talking about this problem almost a year ago, just after you said you sold it. Your stories don't add up. I call troll.
    If you're going to lie, you need to remember your lies.

25. John-boy thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt sell it, i was trying to but it never happened. Im not lying if you read, the logic board was replaced before (May 08) and prior to that the hdd was brought in (February 08) because it was having issues. I don mean to come off like a troll but the computer has had a lot of issues lol.