Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
I'm sure most here will hate these ads but all I can say is where have they been all this time? So much better than the your verse campaign. Short and sweet and perfect for TV which is where they better end up. I see Microsoft commercials on TV every day. I hardly ever see Apple commercials on TV anymore.

Are you serious? How many times has the old dude diving commercial been played? I almost never see a Microsoft commercial LOL

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Bad ads. The humor isn't very funny and the selling points are pretty weak.

Better Than A Computer
:
About speed: It's faster than most laptops if you compare it to a laptop that's either cheap or old. Make a valid comparison (a new laptop in a similar price range) and the iPad Pro is not very powerful.
About LTE: Doesn't come standard, and considering it's $130 upfront, requires a separate data plan and you can easily tether from your phone's LTE for free, the LTE version isn't very attractive for consumers (who these ads are targeted at).
About it having a touchscreen: almost all devices besides Macs have one nowadays. And Apple is trying to steal sales from buyers of relatively cheap Windows laptops, not Mac buyers. Those usually have touchscreens as well.

People respond to more than just numbers. Raw horsepower and the user interface speed are different. The iPad pros are powerful, but even if the processor is not as "great" as my work PC, it feels tons faster. Light years faster. Snappy even.

The other two points just sound like you are trying too hard to complain. The price is never on ad.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
I have to hand it to them , they saved up all 4 positive ipad tweets they got over the years and made four commercials out of them, kudos Apl.

britabroad

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007

spook

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2004
Jesus

I'm sick of whinging Apple fans. Go get a bloody pc if that make you happy.

Wierd that Apple are only allowed to make MacBook adverts, nothing else.

Reactions: RudySnow

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
Really? Skype can not do it. Hangout can not do it? What purpose - simply to show what I am working on. For example if I'm working in Photoshop with another designer and simply want to share it to work live with each other. I will kiss your feet if you have a solution but I'm pretty certain Apple has restricted this.

For what purpose? Every web meeting product I've used has the ability to share a web site or PowerPoint Presentation. Do you want people to see your springboard?

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
"faster than most laptops".

The best of the best ARM chips only scrape the bottom of the worst Intel chips. Unless the vast majority of laptops are using Core M's, then the hardware is hardly faster.

I'm guessing their definition "faster" is that since the iPad Pro uses a less resource intensive mobile OS, that it can complete tasks "faster". Hardly a fair comparison though. If you could put Mac OS on an iPad Pro the iPad Pro would probably lose to every single Mac in the lineup.

So faster for basic tasks maybe, but the moment you need to do something even remotely intensive that ARM chip is not going to be happy. But then again, the iPad Pro runs iOS instead of an actual operating system anyways, so I doubt you can even find anything on iOS that would max out an ARM chip.

So geekbench scores at roughly 60% of the 6700K in single core and about a third in multicore are meaningless? That's a high end desktop processor by the way. And this is in a light portable device that will go for 10 hours on battery rather than a tower that will double as a space heater in your office. Some hypothetical world in which MacOS is placed on an iPad Pro is meaningless, for every day general computing the iPad Pro is very fast and will beat most laptops in use today.

And please, define "actual operating system" for us, your definition seems to be contrary to the industry.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
The first video opens with a person holding up a printed tweet that reads "An iPad Pro is not even close to being a computer."

Apple said:
"Well iPad Pro isn't a computer."

...I mean Apple advertised it as "Super. Computer." so... yeah.

fig_main.jpg

Reactions: PizzaBoxStyle

ToneDriver

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
The iPad Pro has replaced a laptop for many people. It can also do things a laptop can't. Both these things are true. But it is not a laptop replacement for all, and it can't do some things a laptop can do.

So both arguments are right. It just depends on what type of user you are.

I kinda fall somewhere in the middle. The iPad has replaced my laptop for many uses. But I still need a laptop/computer for other uses. I imagine that's the way it'll be for a long while.

I love this post. Thank you.

Reactions: fourthtunz

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I wonder how more years of the iPad underperforming Apples original projections until they stop pushing them so hard. They still seem to think there just <--> THIS close to exploding.

Do you know what their projections are? I don't recall ever seeing that.

Still, even with the growth still declining, they could easily settle in at a number that outsells the Mac by 2:1.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Weak adverts. But Tim Cook seems to love the iPad Pro more than the Mac.

Strange time to make new iPad Pro adverts when the line up of iPads should be refreshed soon. Unless they are trying to get rid of excess old supply.
I don't think they get refreshed until the fall. Hard to imagine a new design coming first to the iPad and not iPhone.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
From reading some of these posts I really think some people are missing the point. The iPad Pro is a computer replacement for the AVERAGE user, it's not meant to replace a Mac for the video editor who uses Final Cut Pro everyday (for example. The average computer user, checks their emails, surfs the internet, maybe a little word processing and plays the odd game, all of which the iPad Pro can do. Add in the Apple Pencil and the iPad Pro is very good for drawing and taking notes with, it's response and lack of lag is excellent. I use mine daily and it's a great device.

Utlimately, the same users who can likely get by fine with a chromebook, can get by fine with an iPad Pro.

The problem is, when presented with $300 for a chromebook, or $900 for an iPad pro, if they can ultimately offer the same basic functionality, what is compelling about the ipad pro?

(This is software wise, not hardware, the iPad Pro hardware is fantastic, and the newest A series CPU's are more than enough for this sort of day to day activity). The problem is iOS. end of story. iOS is too walled for a "laptop replacement".

where's the full lightroom? where's the full word? where's the full desktop versions of software that can leverage the great CPU that Apple invented?

for the basic things? yeah, there's no real issues here. Heck, I use my iPad Air currently more than I use a laptop. it's lighter, and for sitting and the simple browsing and emailing, it's fine.

But as soon as I need to actually get work done, iOS is a restrictive mess that forces me to RDP into a real OS (either MacOS, Linux or Windows) to get anything more advanced done. all software limitations. Not hardware

Reactions: ssgbryan

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Jesus

I'm sick of whinging Apple fans. Go get a bloody pc if that make you happy.

Wierd that Apple are only allowed to make MacBook adverts, nothing else.

THIS. Some people love their iPads, flaws and all. Whenever I have to jump to macOS, my blood pressure goes up.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Their stock just hit an all time high, chill.

Yeah, there's a disconnect between the profits / stock price and what the recent offerings are.

Not that the consumer/market signals are necessarily wrong, but sometimes they lag. Remember: Microsoft was earning crazy profits in 1995.

Reactions: Soccertess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.